5.1 system/ Sound bar in 20-30K budget - mainly for movie / TV watching

Globetrot

Hi Folks,

I got the Mi 75" QLED installed on 1-Jun, and have been having a blast consuming content ever since. Have compared the panel and picture with a new VU 65" and a new Sony 65" x9000h and the picture quality on the 75" Mi is far better. And the brightness is insane, have to keep it turned way low when watching in the dark. The OS (I don't use the patchwall interface, just the standard Android TV skin) is working well, no lag or issues with the 5 apps I switch between - Netflix (4K content enabled), Prime, SonyLiv, Hotstar Disney and Youtube.

The biggest problem with the TV is the sound, while it's loud, it's quite hollow, meaningless and inadequate. Have a 160W Moto 2.1 sound bar, which I use on my other TV (8 year old Videocon 50"), and that instantly elevated the sound of the Mi 75". But now I'm thinking of buying a dedicated sound bar/ home theater with at least 5.1 to fully enjoy the Mi 75".

Did some looking up on Amazon, and am at the verge of buying the Sony HT-RT3 for my Mi 75". Main priority is a great movie/ TV show watching experience, and not blowing up my budget too much (can take it 30-35K). I tried looking for a full surround + Atmos setup - essentially 5.1.2 - but could not find anything in the 30K or lower range.

Please let me know if the Sony HT-RT3 is a good enough bet (cons: No Atmos), or is there something with full surround + Atmos available in sub 35K that I can explore!

PS: Had posted this on the Mi TV thread, was suggested to create a thread of it's own.

I have the Sony Ht-RT3 and its good for simple surround sound duties in a medium sized room. I dont think there are 5.1.2 systems under 35k. Best bet would be Lg's 3.1.2 atmos soundbar but you lose out on the surrounds. There are very few Budget atmos soundbars in India at the moment and 35k does not cut it as far as i'm aware.

Finally bought the HT-RT3, working well. Went to the Croma near by, got it for 1000 less than Amazon/ FK pricing.

Will continue my movie watching tonight of the LOTR series with 5.1 experience tonight - away from the 2.1 Moto sound bar and further away from the built in sound of the MiTV. Just connected the HDMI eARC port of the MiTV to the HDMI ARC port of the HT-RT3 and it worked instantly.

Glad you like it. It is indeed a really capable sound bar that provides with ample low end. I've had it for about 3 years now, paired with a 65inch tcl in the living room.

I don't use it often as I have a separate full on home theater in my bedroom, but my parents usually watch TV and its serves them quite well.

Went to the Croma near by, got it for 1000 less than Amazon/ FK pricing.

I don't know whether you had Vijai Sales showrooms there in B'lore, but they would have come down more and you could have saved a bit more.

Anyways, congratulations. How do you feel the Center channel performance for dialogues? (I just wished I could lay hands on RT3, without the surround speakers ... but Sony doesn't sell :mad: that way.)

I don't know whether you had Vijai Sales showrooms there in B'lore, but they would have come down more and you could have saved a bit more.

Anyways, congratulations. How do you feel the Center channel performance for dialogues? (I just wished I could lay hands on RT3, without the surround speakers ... but Sony doesn't sell :mad: that way.)
I don't think we have Vijai sales, but I might be wrong. The dialogs are crisp and clear, no issues. Watched the Lord of the Rings last night, was a good experience. Not mindblowing, but good.

The dialogs are crisp and clear, no issues. Watched the Lord of the Rings last night, was a good experience. Not mindblowing, but good.

Thanks. Never had the opportunity to listen first hand, only youtube reviews, but due to the strange copyright issues, everyone plays the same NCS audio ... does not give an ideal picture.

Is the voice quality through the rt3 clear(er) while watching cable or ott ? I have zeroed on the same model but my main requirement is voice clarity. Lg has too much bass in all modes. Even my cheapo Philips bluetooth speaker -12 w- does a much better job than the tv. Keep us all posted.
Also on price tracker the same model was going for 16k a few months back ?
The voice is crystal clear, even for a movie like lord of the rings with all strange sounds in the background.

To test the surround experience, I watched the intro sequence from "Baby Driver" (I'd recently watched the movie and liked it) - really enjoyed the overall sound envelope - very immersive/ 360 feel.

Did it blow my mind - no. Was it a great experience - for sure.

The overall sound gets quite loud suddenly when watching a movie, as most movies have much quieter conversation moments (where you'd like the volume higher), and then suddenly a dramatic/ action scene with loud background sounds where it becomes overwhelming (for my better half). I'm fine with the huge spike in the sound levels - its kind of like being in a movie hall.

The bass is not too punchy or in your face. Which is what I liked and the reason I preferred this over say a Zebronics or a Boat 5.1 system.

When connected with bluetooth and experiencing music, the experience was brilliant.

There's also a neat app called "Music Center" from Sony - which pairs to the HT-3 and allows you to do the entire setup/ streaming easily via the mobile app.

Coming to the price - given the global chip shortage, the prices are unlikely to soften. I've had a watch on the product for almost a year, and the price never dropped significantly. It was 19K until Oct last year, and then rose to 20K and stuck at that all through.

1625631636001.png

In my case my TV (Mi QLED 75") only has eARC output, so this would not work.
The online specs say that Mi Q1 does have an optical out. I've not seen a single TV in the last 5 years which doesn't have an optical out. It's more common than ARC for sure.

Please check on the back again. I'd be shocked if it or any other TV in recent history doesn't have an optical out port.

The voice is crystal clear, even for a movie like lord of the rings with all strange sounds in the background.

To test the surround experience, I watched the intro sequence from "Baby Driver" (I'd recently watched the movie and liked it) - really enjoyed the overall sound envelope - very immersive/ 360 feel.

Did it blow my mind - no. Was it a great experience - for sure.

The overall sound gets quite loud suddenly when watching a movie, as most movies have much quieter conversation moments (where you'd like the volume higher), and then suddenly a dramatic/ action scene with loud background sounds where it becomes overwhelming (for my better half). I'm fine with the huge spike in the sound levels - its kind of like being in a movie hall.

The bass is not too punchy or in your face. Which is what I liked and the reason I preferred this over say a Zebronics or a Boat 5.1 system.

When connected with bluetooth and experiencing music, the experience was brilliant.

There's also a neat app called "Music Center" from Sony - which pairs to the HT-3 and allows you to do the entire setup/ streaming easily via the mobile app.

Coming to the price - given the global chip shortage, the prices are unlikely to soften. I've had a watch on the product for almost a year, and the price never dropped significantly. It was 19K until Oct last year, and then rose to 20K and stuck at that all through.

View attachment 59318
Which version of lotr you watched? And from where you downloaded it?

I have the Sony Ht-RT3 and its good for simple surround sound duties in a medium sized room. I dont think there are 5.1.2 systems under 35k. Best bet would be Lg's 3.1.2 atmos soundbar but you lose out on the surrounds. There are very few Budget atmos soundbars in India at the moment and 35k does not cut it as far as i'm aware.
Agree, but investing in 75 inch tv, and missing out on Dolby Atmos, doesn't make sense, LG & Samsung both have Dolby atmos soundbars, but to enjoy proper Dolby atmos effects 5.1 will fall sort.
Wait for while and invest in decent Dolby atmos soundbar
JBL Bar 9.1, True Wireless Surround Home Theatre with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X 3D Sound, 9.1 Channel, 4K Ultra HD Pass-Through with Dolby Vision, HDMI ARC, Bluetooth, Built-in Chromecast & AirPlay 2 (820W) https://amzn.eu/d/56xE1re
Regards

Agree, but investing in 75 inch tv, and missing out on Dolby Atmos, doesn't make sense, LG & Samsung both have Dolby atmos soundbars, but to enjoy proper Dolby atmos effects 5.1 will fall sort.
JBL Bar 9.1, True Wireless Surround Home Theatre with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X 3D Sound, 9.1 Channel, 4K Ultra HD Pass-Through with Dolby Vision, HDMI ARC, Bluetooth, Built-in Chromecast & AirPlay 2 (820W) https://amzn.eu/d/56xE1re
Regards
While that’s largely true, one would require a sound system as the LED ones are inadequate. I’m hoping to get a 65” LG G2 and have been facing the same difficulty of choosing something decent within the 30-35k price. I’d like to invest in a genuine HT, but require something in the meantime that’s decent enough to compliment the screen in my hall.
I’ve shortlisted the RT3, S20R, S40R, and the S500. I’m told I should go for wired speakers for better sound quality and the S20R’s wires wouldn’t cover the length of my hall (16ft). I’m getting the S500 at a good price of 29k from a trusted local seller.
Although the RT3 is a 3 yr old product, I’ve heard decent reviews about it, but not sure if it would fit my requirements well.
Like the OP, I’m not looking for a lot, just some decent surround sound to compliment the TV during movies and shows.

While that’s largely true, one would require a sound system as the LED ones are inadequate. I’m hoping to get a 65” LG G2 and have been facing the same difficulty of choosing something decent within the 30-35k price. I’d like to invest in a genuine HT, but require something in the meantime that’s decent enough to compliment the screen in my hall.
I’ve shortlisted the RT3, S20R, S40R, and the S500. I’m told I should go for wired speakers for better sound quality and the S20R’s wires wouldn’t cover the length of my hall (16ft). I’m getting the S500 at a good price of 29k from a trusted local seller.
Although the RT3 is a 3 yr old product, I’ve heard decent reviews about it, but not sure if it would fit my requirements well.
Like the OP, I’m not looking for a lot, just some decent surround sound to compliment the TV during movies and shows.
RT3 is good for decent sound. Not for loud banging sound. We still don't go above 50-60% of the sound as that is sufficient for our room.

Would suggest you look at the 1000W setup for a much bigger sound profile - if that's what you're looking for.

Regards
20K vs. 95K - that's a huge difference. If money's not a concern, definitely go for a high-end HT with 7.1 - 2 friends have bought the Sonos systems for 1.5L+ and love the sound there. I did not want to spend more than 20K for the sound as I'm not really an audiophile. At that budget, the RT3 sound is perfect, and the 5.1 effects keep me sufficiently amused while watching TV series on OTT (almost none of which come with 7.1 audio)!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back