5.1 without an AVR?

flat_listener

I have surround sound speakers (5.1) but the receiver is broken. I don't really want the added clutter of an AVR again.
For the TV set up all I want is a HDMI input from TATA Sky HD set top box.

Considering that i can arrange a 5 channel power amp, what are my options?
Can I get some small device that will enable 5.1? Does such a thing exist?

TIA

The primary job of an AV receiver is as follows:-
  1. Perform the decoding of various audio codecs/formats (Dolby/DTS)
  2. Route the audio to the appropriate channels
  3. Bass management
  4. Room Calibration
  5. Pre-Out management
So, you can see that only a 5.1 power amplifier won't suffice since all the magic happens by AV receiver/processor, and the amplifier will add meat to the bone. There are dedicated AV Processors (without amplifiers) available for those who want to use external power amplifiers for their speakers. Again, they won't offer any size advantage and are usually expensive.

I have surround sound speakers (5.1) but the receiver is broken. I don't really want the added clutter of an AVR again.

TIA
Use your PC as the AV processor. The PC sound card already has analogue 5.1 outs- green, black and pink. Each carries 2 signals. Connect them by analogue outs RCA cables and attach a power amp. Other option is buy a digital to analogue converter (HDMI to analogue). You can get 7.1 converter on Amazon for around 10k

Hi have no affiliation to the seller / online shop but how about these
Decoder Boards
Yes but more something like this. But make sure your media player can output LPCM signal.

Ok, thanks... will these be suitable for my requirement??

Ok, thanks... will these be suitable for my requirement??

Check in Tata sky settings if it can output multivhannel in Lpcm mode.

TIA
The bigger question you need to think about is, how are you going to control the volume? There are many devices that will convert Multichannel audio in Optical/Coaxial form to multi-channel analog. However, they will not have volume control.

If Tata Sky is the only source, I would suggest picking a used receiver, a Marantz NR series will do too. This will keep the system free of jugad and also convenient to use.

MaSh

I was in the same boat few years ago, and I can tell you it's not worth the hassle!!
If you don't want the clutter better go for soundbar or 2.1 active speaker system :)
Otherwise get a used AVR like marantz 15xx or 16xx (these are the smallest ones I can think of)

I agree the 'Jugaad' way is not worth the hassle - the jugaad device is very cheaply made - it does the work but it has its own n number of hidden limitations and issues which will make u regret the hassle later. If at all you really want no AVR, the best alternative solution is get a 5.1 speaker system with an Optical input already built-in- Logitech Z906 or Sony IV300 (also has HDMI Arc) comes to mind. Even a used older edifier model C6XD (if u can hunt it down) will do the job well

If budget is not the issue and as you said if you can arrange a "power amp", then sky is the limit to get a pre amp which will do a professional job of decoding- At the highest end I know Emotiva makes the ultimate "pre amps" but I am sure there will be other brands at relatively lower priced options. Of course, this kind of Pre-pro set up is preferred by the more "elite" or "evolved" audio enthusiasts according to whom AVR experiences are not enough and the ultimate satisfaction is a couple of notches above in a separate Pre-Pro set up.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back