55k Budget. Need the biggest Full HD.

SumitB

Hello All!

My first post. I am in the market for a new Full HD TV. My budget is 55k. I am open to purchasing from the grey market. I will be in Delhi next week and plan to get the same from there. I don't have the slightest idea if I should get an LCD or a Plasma. 90% viewing will be Tata Sky and 10% will be Movies. I have a collection of over 400 downloaded Blu-Ray rips in Full HD and I plan to watch these using either a connected Media Player or a HTPC.

I would prefer the biggest size I can get in my budget.

The viewing distance will be about 10 feet.

Light source can be controlled. In my town, the showrooms don't have many models on display so I have not been able to demo much. I an do the demoing in Delhi when I am there.

Before I demo these models, I would like your valuable suggestions.

Also, please advice what I would need to mount the unit on the wall as I plan to do this.

Thanks for looking.

if you can add another 10000 to ur budget you can get the lg scarlet 47in full HD lcd tv with bill check out pankaj electronics in yusaf sarai south delhi ;)

Well the biggest you can get within your budget if you consider all options is perhaps the Sony 46EX400 in grey market for around 57k to 60k.

You can also get the LG 47" lcd according to compareindia 47LH35 can be had for 55k,but the overall performance doesn't match the sony EX400 /samsung C530/550 be it in SD performance or contrast.

Hey there Sumit,

For your budget and viewing preferences, i would suggest you to buy the LG PK550 Plasma, it is a 50" display which takes care of 24p playback very smoothly without judder, so you will realyy enjoy the whole movie experience, it's one of he best performers in that department, i really don't see any other display that fits your needs, Although it might stretch your budget a little, but guys here have been able to get the display for around 58K, plus it has one the best PQ if not the best, among all the plasmas right now there in market, it is quite a VFM display,

Also i wouldn't suggest buying anything off the grey market, especially something when you are investing so much money, these displays are very much susceptible to various problems and if you buy it from the grey market you will run into a lot of problem if it ever decides to bail out on you, I hope it helps.

I too have read a lot about the LG Plasma. I will keep this in my "to compare" list and wait for a few more options. Currently I am using a 4 year old Samsung LA32R7B 32" LCD TV. Its in my bedroom of my ancestral home. Now that me and my wife are going to shift to our own home, we will need this new tv for the living room. So the bigger the better.

Any flaws with the LG Plasma that I need to keep in mind?

plz read about the rainbow effect on plasma tvs before you think of buying one i have seen that on almost all plasma tv's and thus ended up in buying an lcd

My vote for the LGPK550. You may have to spend another 3-5K to get one.

Be warned that you should be able to control the lights. This one is reflective but not as bad many make it out to be. Your viewing distance should be 9-13 feet. This way you will get the best of SD and HD.

Do not buy from grey market. Ain't such deals illegal and out of warranty? Instead cut a deal with LG dealer.

Regarding the rainbow effect on plasma tvs - that was few years back. In 2005-2006 the effect was at it's peak but in 2008-2009 many manufacturers were able to (almost) eliminate it.

Don't see any deal breaking effect on 2010 LG Plasma. I did wintess minor flicker on the first LG 50PK550 but with the latest set it's all gone.

aminder, which Plasma did you witness the problem? I ask because none of the forums/reviews/demos I have gone through showed rainbow effect. Maybe I missed reading, so some more info required.

I have also read a lot about the panasonic plasma tv. Which panasonic can I get I my budget and how is it's performance?

Also, if I decide to go the LCD/led way, which one would fit my budget and what should I go for?

Sumit,

If you have read a lot about Panasonic Plasma TVs then you might have also come come across their prices and performances. Read the latest posts from price thread. That will help you.

- 42V20 (62-68K) and 50V20 (>100K) are great TVs from Panasonic.
- U20 series which I do not recommend.
- G20 series. It is a step down from V20 series but haven't seen one in action. Not even sure if G20 is launched in India.

Regarding LCD/LED you will get mostly get 32" and few 40" in 55K.

So is the LGPK550 the best I can get within my budget? Is the price 55K is with b&w?

The LG Site sucks big time and it is a pain to browse. What are the other features of this tv? Also, can this be wall mounted? What will be the shipping weight of this tv?

So is the LGPK550 the best I can get within my budget? Is the price 55K is with b&w?

The LG Site sucks big time and it is a pain to browse. What are the other features of this tv? Also, can this be wall mounted? What will be the shipping weight of this tv?

The lg is the biggest you can get,by no means the best.

The lg is the biggest you can get,by no means the best.

So which in your opinion will be the best for my budget if I decide to compromise on the size a bit?

Also, which 50" will be the best for an enhanced budget? Or to put it differently, what should be my budget to get a decent 50" screen? Viewing will be the same as earlier, 90% TataSky and 10% HD.

Another question. I have already mentioned that I have not been able to demo many units here in my city. But, going by the experience of the members here, which type is more recommended, plasma or LCD or led-LCD? Obviously, I will go by what looks best at the time of purchasing, but it's always better to know the pros and cons of each type when we go to buy. Sorry for so many questions, but I don't want to get something now and regret my decision later.

Well if you want good ones you get the samsung C530/550 its a 40",has better contrast ratio and one of the best image processing out there.40C530 can be bought for less then 50k.
edgeLEd lcd are currently overpriced,for little gain in picture performance.
If you want bigger you can get the sony 46Ex400 as said in previous post.

The LG Site sucks big time and it is a pain to browse.

Yes, it does. Have even communicated this to LG busines head.

Agree with adder's last post. Samsung C530/C550 LCDs are good. Just check the prices and compare the Plasma and LCD for SD viewing.

I am making a list of all models discussed in this thread. I will keep this list handy when I go for the actual purchase. Also, I will demo these units before I take the final plunge.

Now another question. Do all of you agree that the Panasonic V20 Plasma TVs are better in overall picture quality than all the others we have discussed so far? If the PQ differs by a huge margin, then I will try to convince myself that its worth taking the plunge and going in for this model.

Panasonic V20 is among the best when it comes to HD. It is little poor with SD.

So demo all of these though some shoot past the 55K budget:
LG PK550 -Plasma
Samsung C550 - Plasma
Panasonic V20 -Plasma
Samsung C530/550 - LCD
Sony EX400/EX500 - LCD
LG LD650 - LCD

Make sure you are in Movie/Cinema or Standard mode and bring down the contrast and backlight couple of points. Then compare by adjusting brightness and color. Though this is not a foolproof way of testing a display it gives you a fair idea. Also if you see soap opera effect on LCDs then turn off TruMotion, MotionFlow, etc. If you are carrying your demo disc then you already know what to expect.

Last edited:
Sumit,

If you have read a lot about Panasonic Plasma TVs then you might have also come come across their prices and performances. Read the latest posts from price thread. That will help you.

- U20 series which I do not recommend.

any reason why u do not recommend U20 series? Even in my thread u mentioned that it is inferior.... whats the reason?

I'm seriously thinking abt buying this one over V20 cos its giving me 4 inches more than V20 at the same cost.

plz read about the rainbow effect on plasma tvs before you think of buying one i have seen that on almost all plasma tv's and thus ended up in buying an lcd

Dude!! what are u talking abt. The "Rainbow effect" is a problem with DLP projection technologies...not plasmas...duh! were u confusing this with Image retention?

Im also in hunt for LCD/Plasma

Went to showroom seen 47 LD650 side by side with sony NX500 and LG jazz theatre . Dark areas are pretty dark in in LD650. found color production in LH60YR much better

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back