65 inch TV for use in Hall

When I drive my cars in Forza, I sit less than 6 feet from my 65" TV as there is a cord going from the Thrustmaster steering wheel to xbox one. I don't find it uncomfortable at all.

At six feet, the heat from tv brightness is felt (more like warm) in case of LG C9 65 inches. In darkness, the temperature seems to feel a bit more (more of an impression than any measurement) You would have to force the kids to step back.. given that they would be short, their necks are going to be in awkward posture as they look up. Farther the seat better for kids.10 feet looks ok in my case but my regular seating is 12-14 feet away.
Thanks for this input.

Yeah, it's not the picture settings. Initially, everyone has discomfort while watching after a few days/hrs got used to it. But I never felt that I'm watching the 65" unit for the purpose I've purchased. If I move 2-3 ft away then I feel watching good big n widescreen.

yeah statistics say something else..have already did groundwork.
65 inch1.2 meters / 3.94 feet

Btw, if we compromise on pic settings/quality and size of the image, then why should we spend that much..can opt for any budget small TV..

Thanks.
Hi,
If you don’t mind me asking, what size were you using Previous to 65 inch. Could it be a matter of time getting accustomed to 65 inch size?

Am looking for a 65 incher for my living room, which gets very bright during the day (hence OLED is not an option). Been using a Panasonic plasma since 9 years, which is still going strong. The problem is that it's only HD+ resolution hence I feel the need to upgrade to 4K. Looking at the current scenario, I am mentally prepared to wait till Diwali this year.

The ones I am looking forward to are:

1. Toshiba U8080 / Hisense U7QF
2. Sony X95J
3. Samsung Frame 2021

Anything else which is worth considering? Not really interested in the Redmis, Nokias, Motos, VUs, TCLs and other such budget brands.

Can afford upto around 1.3 lakhs but the more inexpensive it is, the better.

Last edited:
Am looking for a 65 incher for my living room, which gets very bright during the day (hence OLED is not an option). Been using a Panasonic plasma since 9 years, which is still going strong. The problem is that it's only HD+ resolution hence I feel the need to upgrade to 4K. Looking at the current scenario, I am mentally prepared to wait till Diwali this year.

2. Sony X95J
3. Samsung Frame 2021

Anything else which is worth considering? Not really interested in the Redmis, Nokias, Motos, VUs, TCLs and other such budget brands.

Coming from a plasma, you wouldn't like LCD/LED tvs. Technically your next upgrade should be Oled.

If it is a bright room nano-cell LG TV's can also be considered. It is IPL panel but they have a cutting edge technology that gives good PQ.

2. Sony X95J
3. Samsung Frame 2021

Frame and the h8g/h9g i.e toshiba/hisense if they are available fit your budget. X95J 55 inch will be over 1.3 at launch so forget that as well for 65 inch and likewise for x90j.. You can go for the x900h 65 at this over or a 55 inch oled from past years..

From what I know, OLEDs are not ideal for bright rooms. Or am I missing something here?
Are you using the Panasonic plasma in the same bright room? if yes then the Oled will be brighter then the plasma.
I had a Hitachi Plasma years ago & always found in moderate in brightness.

Are you using the Panasonic plasma in the same bright room? if yes then the Oled will be brighter then the plasma.
I had a Hitachi Plasma years ago & always found in moderate in brightness.
Yes, plasma is being used in the same bright room. My balcony entrance is bang opposite the television so not sure how an OLED panel will react to that.

Frame and the h8g/h9g i.e toshiba/hisense if they are available fit your budget. X95J 55 inch will be over 1.3 at launch so forget that as well for 65 inch and likewise for x90j.. You can go for the x900h 65 at this over or a 55 inch oled from past years..
I am open to consider a 55 inch OLED too but my bright room is the only worry I have. Does the OLED panel not get damaged if natural light falls on it directly? I am in no mood to babysit my television after spending a high amount on it.

The only problem I felt with having an OLED in hall is our family members might use the TV extensively for news channels that might have Marquees running or logos static which now a days is taken care off by default screen shifting screensaver pixels. Plus they may switch off the main switch without putting it to standby in a remote(pixel refresher will be cut short by that process weakening the anodes and cathodes of the self lighting pixels). You will enjoy it in room as you can use dark curtains or blinds, use only OTT HD platforms with less static content and TV usage will be specific to what you want. Hall TV's sometimes are also run with noone really watching the TV. Aka Rough use. Also OLEDs do not have reflexion handling capabilities.

Last edited:
I am open to consider a 55 inch OLED too but my bright room is the only worry I have. Does the OLED panel not get damaged if natural light falls on it directly? I am in no mood to babysit my television after spending a high amount on it.
Q80T, Q80A, X900H wud be my picks for that kind of money with deep negotiations thrown in for immediate buys... X90J maybe.. Sony shat on us last year too but bringing x95 only in 75 incher so don't put high hopes

Yes, plasma is being used in the same bright room. My balcony entrance is bang opposite the television so not sure how an OLED panel will react to that.
I have my TV in a hall that has a very large glass wall 90° to the TV, catching the full blast of the western sun. Used to have a plasma for 6 years. Shifted to a 65" Sony OLED 2 years ago.
The OLED is brighter than the plasma. During daytime viewing, a double layered curtain is enough to control the light. It runs Tata Sky and OTT channels each about 2 to 3 hours a day, total 5 hours approximately. No image retention. Incidentally my plasma had developed some retention, but was visible only when the TV was off. Nothing seen with the TV on.
Once you have used plasma, you won't like any LED. Go for a OLED.

If folks here are using OLEDs in bright rooms without any issues then I think I will buy a 65 inch LG BX or A1. Or the Sony A8G if it's still available somewhere. Hope those would fall within my budget after bargaining really hard.

Thanks a ton everyone.

2. Sony X95J
3. Samsung Frame 2021

OLED should be in your list as it is the right upgrade from Plasma.

Samsung Frame 2021 review is out on RTINGS.
Samsung Frame 2021 review
Also find comparison of 2020 and 2021 models here.
Frame 2020 Vs Frame 2021

There is not much difference between these two. However viewing angle have slightly improved in 2021 version compared to 2020 model. This is at the cost of lower contrast ratio. Nevertheless it is still better than IPS panels in market.

Now Samsung has 4500 app discount and ICICI credit card cashback offer going on for 2020 model. That makes the 55 inch very tempting to buy(Final cost may be 72-73k). However considering my viewing distance of 9ft I am after 65 inch . For 65 inch model only 4500/- app discount is there (No cashback). That makes it around 1.25 Lacs. Once at this budget x90H with FALD does look better(1.51 at shopatsc)
This is such a dilemma I am facing. Request FMs to help.

Now Samsung has 4500 app discount and ICICI credit card cashback offer going on for 2020 model. That makes the 55 inch very tempting to buy(Final cost may be 72-73k). However considering my viewing distance of 9ft I am after 65 inch . For 65 inch model only 4500/- app discount is there (No cashback). That makes it around 1.25 Lacs. Once at this budget x90H with FALD does look better(1.51 at shopatsc)
This is such a dilemma I am facing. Request FMs to help.
You'd be better off with a Sony if you get at that Price point imho, it is FALD supporting DV and higher peak brightness. Just noticed even q80a is ips panel this year, Samsung is definitely taking the TV's on a downhill path but for the league toppers :( Likewise for the frame on metrics like brightness and contrast.

You'd be better off with a Sony if you get at that Price point imho, it is FALD supporting DV and higher peak brightness. Just noticed even q80a is ips panel this year, Samsung is definitely taking the TV's on a downhill path but for the league toppers :( Likewise for the frame on metrics like brightness and contrast.
So, I shouldn't be going for 55 inch Frame then?
Also,I read some issues about Sony's handling of fast moving motion in movies and sports. Is that something to worry. What is the discount expected on x90H if we bargain on stores.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back