65 inch TV for use in Hall

A hall TV needs good viewing angle. And an entry level 65" LG IPS for ~80k is good enough for that. VA panels are recommended if your purpose is to watch immersive content. I have never used my hall TV for immersion and it is just casual viewing with family who are seated in all directions. Sony 9500G/H tried a layer(X wide angle filter) to give it decent viewing angle compared to the 9000H but had to compromise on contrast ratio. Disclaimer: it is just my opinion. It may vary according to various demographics and consumer needs, family size, content etc..

So, I shouldn't be going for 55 inch Frame then?
Also,I read some issues about Sony's handling of fast moving motion in movies and sports. Is that something to worry. What is the discount expected on x90H if we bargain on stores.
Both tvs are available in stores, when the situation is better try the demo and pick what your eyes like. When x90j is out you can expect x9000h in the 1.3 range with a hard bargain at stores.

Sony 9500G/H tried a layer(X wide angle filter) to give it decent viewing angle compared to the 9000H but had to compromise on contrast ratio
The contrast ratio of 9500G/H is still 3x higher than 8000H, even without local dimming. With local dimming, it's 3.7x.
Also,I read some issues about Sony's handling of fast moving motion in movies and sports. Is that something to worry. What is the discount expected on x90H if we bargain on stores.
So here's the thing: The 55" Frame makes sense over the 55" X9000H because the Frame costs 72k v/s 1 lakh for X9000H. The 9000H isn't worth the extra 40% cost here. However, for the 65" versions, 1.3 lakh to 1.5 lakhs isn't a big premium. So I'd go for the X9000H here.

Note that both of these TVs are natural VA panels and hence the viewing angles won't be that good. If you are going to seat many people in the room side by side and they'll view it from an angle >30 degrees, it's not going to look good.

The contrast ratio of 9500G/H is still 3x higher than 8000H, even without local dimming. With local dimming, it's 3.7x.

So here's the thing: The 55" Frame makes sense over the 55" X9000H because the Frame costs 72k v/s 1 lakh for X9000H. The 9000H isn't worth the extra 40% cost here. However, for the 65" versions, 1.3 lakh to 1.5 lakhs isn't a big premium. So I'd go for the X9000H here.

Note that both of these TVs are natural VA panels and hence the viewing angles won't be that good. If you are going to seat many people in the room side by side and they'll view it from an angle >30 degrees, it's not going to look good.
We are 4 persons(2 adults and 2kids) who are going to watch from 8-9 ft distance from sofa. Is the viewing angle matter in this case. My sofa is 3+2 combination attached to the opposite corner of the Hall . My present TV is not centred to this sofa , however new TV I will try to mount at the centre of 3 seats. The rest 2 seats will be at 90 degree so may be slightly off axis. I have set-up my home theater in this living room and would like to get immersive experience.

We are 4 persons(2 adults and 2kids) who are going to watch from 8-9 ft distance from sofa. Is the viewing angle matter in this case. My sofa is 3+2 combination attached to the opposite corner of the Hall . My present TV is not centred to this sofa , however new TV I will try to mount at the centre of 3 seats. The rest 2 seats will be at 90 degree so may be slightly off axis. I have set-up my home theater in this living room and would like to get immersive experience.
Sirjee dont over complicate things, it will be ok. Let the covid spike die then go try in a Sony Centre. If you have that kind of expenditure over 1l for a tv don't buy it basis what anyone of us say. Many people here incl myself might say X is better than Y, but you must pick what your eyes like. My TV is broken like dead broken, and I had finalized x9000h 55" at approx 94k,but something else came up and also I was too petrified to audition thoroughly.
Many ppl said a certain tv set is legendary, I went and demo'd it in Feb and was sure I cant live with it due to what my eyes got used to with Samsung or Sony. Even for the HT setup everyone will get a diff audio experience when they sit off angle etc so I will say demo and buy especially if you are the nitpicking types like me.
Mass Opinion wise both these are good tv's though, x9000h for the fald tho overpriced in Ind, frame for the qled pq at the vfm price.

I was comparing to 9000H. 8000H is not a good TV and I won't recommend it even if initially I thought the punchy colours was something great. But later I realised many people were cursing the over the top colour as it was artificial. Take Sun TV or Pidhiya thalaimurai channel. It would look like some rangoli display. Hard hitting. Plus it got repaired one month from purchase date. It's price being 1.89 lakhs(they sold it to me for 2.11 L) is just 30k above 65" of 9500 variants and if someone wants a big screen only with good viewing angles, no matter what other specs and the lack of them, they can go for it.

Last edited:
Is there a viewing angle calcutor available ?
You can easily calculate it yourself using 9th-10th class trigonometry, no? Divide half the width of your sofa by the distance to the TV and take the tan inverse of that. This site will give you the angle: https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/math/Tan_Calculator.html

Say for example your sofa is 6 feet wide and your viewing distance is 9 feet. Your tan(thita) = 3/9, Take tan inverse on both sides using that site, and tan inverse (3/9) = 18 degrees.

You can easily calculate it yourself using 9th-10th class trigonometry, no? Divide half the width of your sofa by the distance to the TV and take the tan inverse of that. This site will give you the angle: https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/math/Tan_Calculator.html

Say for example your sofa is 6 feet wide and your viewing distance is 9 feet. Your tan(thita) = 3/9, Take tan inverse on both sides using that site, and tan inverse (3/9) = 18 degrees.
Actually I have always assumed 1.5 times to the TV size. If 65" TV (diagonal) then viewing distance must be ideally 65*1.5=97.5 inches which is 8.125 feet and near about. I however sit close to 18 feet in my far end of the hall at the dining table and the 75" TV looks small. My 65" OLED in my room is just 7 feet away.

Actually I have always assumed 1.5 times to the TV size. If 65" TV (diagonal) then viewing distance must be ideally 65*1.5=97.5 inches which is 8.125 feet and near about. I however sit close to 18 feet in my far end of the hall at the dining table and the 75" TV looks small. My 65" OLED in my room is just 7 feet away.
That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm discussing the viewing angle to the TV as a bigger viewing angle to a VA panel will cause image washing out.

Generally image starts washing out around 20-30 degrees from the TV for a VA panel without wide angle filter.

Yes , I did use this formula to calculate the angles, however I am not sure if we have to consider the TV centre or edges for the calculation. Will TV width be considered anywhere?

That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm discussing the viewing angle to the TV as a bigger viewing angle to a VA panel will cause image washing out.

Generally image starts washing out around 20-30 degrees from the TV for a VA panel without wide angle filter.
Viewing angle - yes very important consideration for a hall TV plus TVs that dont reflect light.
To OP, In this Pandemic situation of second wave of Covid, going and having a look at the centralized AC showrooms is a bit risky. So just look for TVs having 178 degree viewing angle as one of the main criteria in specs online.

Yes , I did use this formula to calculate the angles, however I am not sure if we have to consider the TV centre or edges for the calculation. Will TV width be considered anywhere?
Ideally it should be considered but it doesn't matter that much. Your angle to the TV's centre is what's generally referred.

Sony's handling of fast motion and sports is actually above average than its competitors. It even reduces blur. The problem with Sony is just it's price and not giving enough features that attract the latest consumers like it's Korean rivals. (hdmi 2.1 for instance). But their algorithms for picture quality enhancement and picture processors are really good.

Here is a snippet from review by gadgets.ndtv.com .

“Where the Sony 55X9000H fell a bit short across resolutions was in its ability to handle motion. Switching off all motion enhancement features made for a jittery viewing experience, but keeping them on smoothened things only to a small extent. As was visible in many action scenes in The Boys as well as the climactic battle scenes in Jojo Rabbit on Disney+Hotstar, artefacts were often visible in scenes with rapid motion, and this was quite distracting. This happened across resolutions, but was particularly noticeable with 4K content with the otherwise sharp picture.”

Here is the link for full review.
Sony X9000H review by gadgets
i was referring to this .

Maybe. Not sure but I haven't had much of those issues in my 9300D at all and I had that tv close to 5 years.

Well you are right, Sony need to up their game in features, i remember someone telling me Hdmi 2.1 are for kiddies & not casual gamers :p
Sony's handling of fast motion and sports is actually above average than its competitors. It even reduces blur. The problem with Sony is just it's price and not giving enough features that attract the latest consumers like it's Korean rivals. (hdmi 2.1 for instance). But their algorithms for picture quality enhancement and picture processors are really good.

Well you are right, Sony need to up their game in features, i remember someone telling me Hdmi 2.1 are for kiddies & not casual gamers :p
Yes. If those extra features are compromised, PQ is a bonus one gets sticking to Sony. But Sony is going downhill in reliability factor these days.

Yes. If those extra features are compromised, PQ is a bonus one gets sticking to Sony. But Sony is going downhill in reliability factor these days.
Is that so? I haven't bought a Sony Tv since 10-11 years now, my last Sony was the 46" X series, their flagship lcd that time which was made in Japan & was expensive for its time back then, think i paid approx 1.6L for it then. I still use the 46" X series in my guest room & though its 1080p, still give a fab picture though it so old & outdated.

Was thinking of going for Sony Tv again as its been ages & have had Hitachi plasma, Samsung lcd & now LG Oled. its sad how unreliable today's electronics are compare to years back.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back