65" tv - Budget 1.2L

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a 65" tv for my parents living room. The TV usage is mainly Tata Sky HD/SD channels and little bit of streaming apps. The room is bright with 12 feet viewing distance. They have been using Sony Bravia 42" FHD tv for last 6 years. Looking for a TV with the best possible picture quality, should last long and provide good service when needed. The budget is up to 1.2 lakh. I have found Samsung Frame 2020 , Sony x8000h and HiSense U7QF as possible options under the budget. I was considering Toshiba U7980 as well but it is not available at my pincode. Let me know your thoughts on which one (out of these or any other) will be the best 65" tv under 1.2L.

SD channels will look terrible on all 4K TVs, so you will have to live with that. For mostly Tata Sky usage Toshiba U7980 (H8f) is the best choice instead of spending 1.2 Lakhs. Rtings shows that all these TVs have same rating for 480p input. Just ask your local Reliance Digital to get the TV, they will get it in 10-14 days. If you are still not able to get Toshiba then go for Samsung Frame 2020.

SD channels will look terrible on all 4K TVs, so you will have to live with that. For mostly Tata Sky usage Toshiba U7980 (H8f) is the best choice instead of spending 1.2 Lakhs. Rtings shows that all these TVs have same rating for 480p input. Just ask your local Reliance Digital to get the TV, they will get it in 10-14 days. If you are still not able to get Toshiba then go for Samsung Frame 2020.
They mostly watch HD channels (entertainment, sports etc.) , only SD channels they watch are the News channels. I agree all the 4K TVs will struggle to show the SD content. So even average SD picture quality is fine if at least 720p/1080p upscaling is decent. Even I had a thought that U7980 will be good enough but due to it's unavailability I was forced to look for other options. I will check with the Reliance digital once. Thanks for the input.

It will be a downgrade, yes, but for 1080p/SD channels does it really matter? It's not like you'll be able to utilize a high-end panel with that kind of content. I have been using a 42" Bravia since 2013 as well before upgrading to Toshiba U79. Both look terrible on SD channels and mediocre with Tata Sky HD channels. The content bitrate is too low to care about picture quality.

If you still care about PQ even with that kind of content, get the Samsung Frame. It's the best option and not overpriced like Sony's offerings. Don't get an IPS panel, the contrast is too low for any kind of content other than as a PC monitor.
How do you rate the U7980 performance for HD channels compared to the Sony FHD. is it better or at least same?

How do you rate the U7980 performance for HD channels compared to the Sony FHD. is it better or at least same?
The overall quality and upscaling is better than the Sony if you watch them at the same angle. So say Sony from 4.2 feet and U79 from 5.5 feet.

However, since the U79 is bigger, if you view them from same distance the flaws of terrible DTH content are more visible due to the bigger TV.

If you get a bigger tv (65" or bigger) DTH content just looks worse and worse. Thankfully I've shifted mostly to streaming and most new Indian movies and shows are coming in 4k.

Good to see someone finally call out this guy's blatant lies and misinformation. He has been spreading lies about IPS panels by saying it is more colourful than VA panels and that IPS has good enough contrast when in reality it is pathetic.

When nobody confronted him on these lies, guess what? he got bolder and graduated from comparing his IPS panel to VA panels to now OLED. Apparently his crappyy IPS panel black level looks close to OLED now. Check out this thread and laugh: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/to-all-sony-tv-owners.82530/
That's not a "crappy" IPS panel, that model is a VA. Ok, IPS and VA has its own strengths and weaknesses. You guys are only talking about contrast ratio and Rtings stand point but I am telling based on viewing angles and how it feels to my eyes.

You could actually manage to get a 65" X90H around the 1.3L mark, after all discount/cashback. Even 480p content looks great on it. Sony's processing/Upscaling is just fantabulous.

Frame 65 can be had for 1.2 or 1.3 I guess. That is a great TV for that price.

There are some spec-obsessed ignorant people who'll comment about X800H without even owning one. I have it and I love it. I put up an upscaling comparison and I was amazed seeing even a 480p clip be upscaled acceptably. I have no issues with its HDR or blacks (I am not a pixel peeper), hower color banding is an issue which I feel for a TV as big as 75in, it'll be there.

You could actually manage to get a 65" X90H around the 1.3L mark, after all discount/cashback. Even 480p content looks great on it. Sony's processing/Upscaling is just fantabulous.
Bro even MadVR can't do that with a 2080 ti. HDTVTest on YouTube does this test with 576p content. Embedded link here where he claims that upscaling is only decent for SD content on the X900H. Also, you can see in the link that the upscaling is not that great.

I don't know why people claim that SD content looks great on their TV. Even Nvidia's AI upscaling on the shield TV or MadVR with a high-end GPU can't make SD content look good.

I have worked with even non-realtime frame-by-frame upscalers like Topaz Gigapixel and Waifu2x and even they won't work very well unless you give them at least a high-bitrate 720p source.

Frame 65 can be had for 1.2 or 1.3 I guess. That is a great TV for that price.

There are some spec-obsessed ignorant people who'll comment about X800H without even owning one. I have it and I love it. I put up an upscaling comparison and I was amazed seeing even a 480p clip be upscaled acceptably. I have no issues with its HDR or blacks (I am not a pixel peeper), hower color banding is an issue which I feel for a TV as big as 75in, it'll be there.

That 480p upscaling looks really bad. That's exactly how you should not upscale. I can see the sharpening halos all around. If you ever owned a high-end TV or used a good upscaling algo before, that's not how they upscale.

A good upscaling engine should generate detail, not make things sharper. And if you get a higher-end Sony TV with X1 extreme or X1 ultimate, you'll see how they will look softer but will have higher detail.

For the purpose of SD and DTH this is more than enough. Maybe your level of expectancy would force the budget to 1.49 lakhs, Sony 9500g which is high in demand among Sony products and may not be available currently.

Bro even MadVR can't do that with a 2080 ti. HDTVTest on YouTube does this test with 576p content. Embedded link here where he claims that upscaling is only decent for SD content on the X900H. Also, you can see in the link that the upscaling is not that great.

I don't know why people claim that SD content looks great on their TV. Even Nvidia's AI upscaling on the shield TV or MadVR with a high-end GPU can't make SD content look good.

I have worked with even non-realtime frame-by-frame upscalers like Topaz Gigapixel and Waifu2x and even they won't work very well unless you give them at least a high-bitrate 720p source.
You really have the technical qualifications. But if you are just a bit polite, it would help. You and your sock puppet Id did try to insult me a lot but guess what, I am used to 8000h which according to you is a crappy IPS panel and I am used to crappy impolite responses from people like you. So we are even.

You really have the technical qualifications. But if you are just a bit polite, it would help. You and your sock puppet Id did try to insult me a lot but guess what, I am used to 8000h which according to you is a crappy IPS panel and I am used to crappy impolite responses from people like you. So we are even.
Ok man, I didn't make @etios write those comments. And I didn't say anything rude to you. Calling you 'that guy' is NOT an insult. If you think that's an insult, maybe you need to adjust your expectations on an online forum. As I mentioned, this is not a family reunion where you'll be respected and your feet touched by younglings just by the virtue of your age.

I never called the X8000H a crappy IPS panel. I'm just saying it's not suited for movie watching. It has its use if you're on a budget and using in high ambient light only. But you need to understand that it's a midrange TV at best and not a top of the line one. There's a reason the X9000H, X9500H, A8H and A9H (upcoming) exist.

Again, just stating my piece. I never insulted you, I just didn't respect you. It's just my principle that respect needs to be earned, and sorry but you haven't earned that yet from me.

You said stuff like blatant lies. That really hurt my feelings and might even hurt feelings of of other FM's. Think about forum ethics in the cover page. And then post such hurtful comments.

You said stuff like blatant lies. That really hurt my feelings and might even hurt feelings of of other FM's. Think about forum ethics in the cover page. And then post such hurtful comments.
Well, you did spout a blatant lie. Just calling a spade a spade. The X8000H does not have a more 'colourful' panel than the X9300D. In fact, the X9300D has a slightly wider colour gamut. Also, since it goes brighter with the same gamut, it has more colour volume. These are not my opinion, but objective facts based on real testing with lab-grade equipment.

Now, maybe you had different settings for both panels or some other bias/factors. But that's an error on your part and not mine. What you stated was an objective falsehood and that's a crime in my opinion on an online forum. Wrong information can spread and lead to people making the wrong choices with their hard-earned money.

I honestly don't care about your feelings. Besides, I didn't say anything wrong or insult you out of nowhere. You spread wrong info, I called you out on it. If it felt bad, maybe reflect on it and don't do it in the future. If you spread falsehood and expect to not get called out for it, maybe stick to WhatsApp forwards. An online forum might not be the right platform for you.

Ok. Looks like you own this forum and I don't have a say in my suggestion. But just know this, there is always space to be polite.

Ok. Looks like you own this forum and I don't have a say in my suggestion. But just know this, there is always space to be polite.
You definitely have a say in your suggestion. It's just that I also have a say whether to take that suggestion or not. I am definitely polite with people. It's just that you are not one of those people as of now.

If you start stating facts, you'll see that I'll become a lot more polite towards you. So yeah, please work on that and I'll make sure that I won't be rude towards you. Deal?

You definitely have a say in your suggestion. It's just that I also have a say whether to take that suggestion or not. I am definitely polite with people. It's just that you are not one of those people as of now.

If you start stating facts, you'll see that I'll become a lot more polite towards you. So yeah, please work on that and I'll make sure that I won't be rude towards you. Deal?
I own both TVs and I can say for sure. The colour gamut is so much that I sometimes think the triluminous technology of Sony has gone beyond the beyond. My father puts on a sunglass watching Sun TV. You are invited to my house to personally compare the two TV sets for further debates. I have dealt with many internet forums where people do not hurl insults over personal opinions. You seem to do so and are vehemently uncourteous. There are Easter eggs in a Sony product and they exceed the general assumption made by people over Rtings or other peer review channels. Btw Do you know if Dolby vision which this TV has could be the reason for the brightness and colour display over 9300D? 9300 D looks very dim compared to this. I have both TVs and so I know what I am talking about. And I have said facts "viewing angle" is the only fact I have ever brought out to table. It is just that you chose to ignore it and kept talking about contrast. My children have complained to me that when they sit in the sides they do not enjoy the 9300D as much as this TV. They like the IPS better and that's all there ever is to me.

Last edited:
I own both TVs and I can say for sure. The colour gamut is so much that I sometimes think the triluminous technology of Sony has gone beyond the beyond. My father puts on a sunglass watching Sun TV. You are invited to my house to personally compare the two TV sets for further debates. I have dealt with many internet forums where people do not hurl insults over personal opinions. You seem to do so and are vehemently uncourteous. There are Easter eggs in a Sony product and they exceed the general assumption made by people over Rtings or other peer review channels. Btw Do you know if Dolby vision which this TV has could be the reason for the brightness and colour display over 9300D? 9300 D looks very dim compared to this. I have both TVs and so I know what I am talking about. And I have said facts "viewing angle" is the only fact I have ever brought out to table. It is just that you chose to ignore it and kept talking about contrast. My children have complained to me that when they sit in the sides they do not enjoy the 9300D as much as this TV. They like the IPS better and that's all there ever is to me.
This is the funniest shit I've read all week. Thank you for this. I've realised that talking sense to a Sony fanboy is beyond what my limited intelligence could handle. I should drink more of that triluminous koolaid.

Why some forum members invade every thread with off topic nonsense.Is it so difficult to maintain some decency on public forums?People here are smart enough to draw their conclusions ,please don't take it upon yourselves to educate everyone.
Sorry for my off topic rant.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back