720p Projector

Hi Rshri!!

I am using a Mitsubishi HC1500 DLP pjtr same as you desired by u.

It is an excellent projector. No rainbow or screen door effect. Noise levels is also very low. Since, it is an extremely bright projetor, I keep the lamp mode low which further reduces the noise levels. Normally, DLP's are noisier compared to LCD pjtrs. This one is an exception. The image quality is absolutely life like. The black levels are great too. This is my second mitsubishi. My older one bought years ago is still runnning fine athough the lamp is weak now.

If you want then you may come over to my place and chk it out. It is the best I can do for you. I am going out of station for a few days and shall be available after a 23rd.

You may also consider pana 200u or sanyp plv-Z5. The both are equally good projectors.
I bought mine from US for 31,500. You won't find a better pjtr for this price.

Sumit

What is rainbow effect?

Dushie, what projector are you zeroing in these days?

My own plans to go to new house have become deferred by 4 months, so I will now be buying a new projector only on March,09.

Well my house will take another 2 months to complete so will shift in January, that's when i plan to buy the PJ, i have decided on Optoma HD65 and will be going for the same ..

Well my house will take another 2 months to complete so will shift in January, that's when i plan to buy the PJ, i have decided on Optoma HD65 and will be going for the same ..

You are not worried about rainbow effect & noise of DLP?
Even if you are not susceptible to rainbow, your family or friends may be.
Even if Optoma is silent today, it may become noisy over a period of time.
What do you say?

With all the research and reading i have done , in the price range i find Optoma 65 to be the best, i will be viewing from a distance of over 20 feet so no issues with rainbows,

i own a 44" projection tv, so rainbows is not a worry for me ,
i will mount the projector on the roof and it will not be directly over my head, hence noise is not a worry for me , picture quality and real life colors is my priority,

At times i have seen that

Lcd viewers go for Lcd projectors ,

projection & plasma viewers prefer dlp projector as picture quality is similar .

Some may not agree with the same, but that's what i feel, other's may have felt differently.

Currently i own a 44" projection tv and a 42" Sammy Q9 plasma tv ,

next addition will be the Optoma HD 65.

My recommendation is that you have enough time, research and audition then decide what you want to buy.

Lcd requires cleaning of dust from the lens as in Indian conditions dust gets collected , to avoid this also i prefer dlp as it does not need cleaning

Dushie, I appreciate your detailed reply!

I myself have a 50" projection TV. However its a LCD projection TV (Sony). I suppose you have a DLP projection TV. So no one has complained about rainbow while watching DLP TV?

I agree about the dust problem in India. For that reason I always keep my projection TV wrapped when its not in use (though it ruins the looks).
Similarly, I suppose the only way we can prevent dust in projectors is to keep it wrapped always when its not in use. Is it possible to wrap if we keep the the projector mounted overhead on ceiling? I have heard of color wheel becoming noisy after long usage. I suppose this is due to dust?

I have one more concern, my current projection TV is already 720p. Maybe I should really buy a 1080p projector to get a real long term upgrade? Maybe I should wait one more year for for prices to come down for 1080p?

Where will you buy Optoma HD 65 from? Grey market or with bill?

Please let me know your thoughts on all above.

yes, i have a Dlp projection tv and i am happy with the same , never faced any issues with rainbows,me and my family don;t face any issues on the same, so nothing to worry there

The dust problem is more serious for Lcd projectors rather than Dlp, that is why Lcd projectors need frequent cleaning to ensure dust does not settle down inside as it starts to affect picture quality, once u clean its as good as new,

Well all the reviews i have read for hd 65, didnt see anyone complain of dust or any other issues with color wheel.

Well u can wait and go for 1080p projectors, even now few models are there but are on the higher side, buying it next year would be a better option as u will get new upgraded models and the pricing for current ones will come down,

I don't plan to wait for 1080p models, as i will find the picture quality difference to be negligible sitting over 20 feet distance .

I plan to get the projector from Mridul, once my house is complete in Jan i plan to set up the same, it will be with bill and warranty.

I am not worried about the projector but more about the screen , as it will cost a lot

I got my Panasonic PT ax200u just before diwali. I am already wowed by the image thrown by a projector. Currently I am projecting on a wall (light yellow in color) and projector is placed on a table. DVD player (philips 5896) is connected via component. Watching TV or internet downloaded movies is a great exp. Tata sky looks pretty clear with it - even though it looks pathetic in the electronics shops on LCDs/ Plasma. Will shortly get it ceiling mounted to avoid people getting physical with it. Planning to make a DIY screen out of cloth.
I don't have anything to compare it with though, yet!

I got my Panasonic PT ax200u just before diwali. I am already wowed by the image thrown by a projector. Currently I am projecting on a wall (light yellow in color) and projector is placed on a table. DVD player (philips 5896) is connected via component. Watching TV or internet downloaded movies is a great exp. Tata sky looks pretty clear with it - even though it looks pathetic in the electronics shops on LCDs/ Plasma. Will shortly get it ceiling mounted to avoid people getting physical with it. Planning to make a DIY screen out of cloth.
I don't have anything to compare it with though, yet!

Congratulations! Where did you buy it from? How much did it cost?
Philips 5986 has HDMI port. Please buy a HDMI cable and use that to connect to projector instead of component cable. Decent HDMI cable will cost around Rs 300-500

yes, i have a Dlp projection tv and i am happy with the same , never faced any issues with rainbows,me and my family don;t face any issues on the same, so nothing to worry there

The dust problem is more serious for Lcd projectors rather than Dlp, that is why Lcd projectors need frequent cleaning to ensure dust does not settle down inside as it starts to affect picture quality, once u clean its as good as new,

Well all the reviews i have read for hd 65, didnt see anyone complain of dust or any other issues with color wheel.

Well u can wait and go for 1080p projectors, even now few models are there but are on the higher side, buying it next year would be a better option as u will get new upgraded models and the pricing for current ones will come down,

I don't plan to wait for 1080p models, as i will find the picture quality difference to be negligible sitting over 20 feet distance .

I plan to get the projector from Mridul, once my house is complete in Jan i plan to set up the same, it will be with bill and warranty.

I am not worried about the projector but more about the screen , as it will cost a lot

Well, I have read on internet about Optoma HD65 getting too hot and hence loud fan noise. Some people have also reported about slight whistling sound coming from projector due to color wheel getting noisy over time.

You will not keep you projector covered or wrapped? Isn't that risky in Indian conditions?

Have you auditioned 1080p and 720p projectors together? Is there perceptible difference or not? If not, I will go with 720p.

How long is Optoma warranty? 1 year? You are willing to pay around 30K extra for this? Won't repair will be cheaper (in case it does breaks down within 1 year)

I am myself surprised by super high projector screen costs. Its unbelievable that a piece of cloth could cost so much :eek:

Congratulations! Where did you buy it from? How much did it cost?
Philips 5986 has HDMI port. Please buy a HDMI cable and use that to connect to projector instead of component cable. Decent HDMI cable will cost around Rs 300-500

A basic query-

Generally we keep DVD player & AVR near screen,front (TV) and projector away.
How to connect projector in this situation?
Picture Q will suffer due to lengthy cables(HDMI or Composite)

A basic query-

Generally we keep DVD player & AVR near screen,front (TV) and projector away.
How to connect projector in this situation?
Picture Q will suffer due to lengthy cables(HDMI or Composite)

You are right - long cables are needed for projector. A very high quality composite/component cable will be required to avoid significant signal loss. That is why you should switch to HDMI cables. HDMI signals are digital and run upto 25 ft or more without any loss in decent HDMI cables. However, long HDMI cables will be expensive. Buy the cheapest one you can, picture quality is more or less the same in all HDMI cables.

How much would 25ft HDMI cable cost? Where to find it cheap?

You are right - long cables are needed for projector. A very high quality composite/component cable will be required to avoid significant signal loss. That is why you should switch to HDMI cables. HDMI signals are digital and run upto 25 ft or more without any loss in decent HDMI cables. However, long HDMI cables will be expensive. Buy the cheapest one you can, picture quality is more or less the same in all HDMI cables.

How much would 25ft HDMI cable cost? Where to find it cheap?

In Delhi, you can try Gaffar Market or Nehru Place. Some people order it from sites like monoprice.com, I am not sure whether they deliver in India.

Heard from a dealer today that a newer Panasonic model - 'Panasonic PT-AX300' may become available by end of Nov. This will be an improvement on AX200 model with better contrast ratio and better color processing.

That is good news, i feel many may go for the same, hope they have resolved the issues that were there in Ax200, and the 300 is an improved version

That is good news, i feel many may go for the same, hope they have resolved the issues that were there in Ax200, and the 300 is an improved version

But then you will have to wait at least 2 months after the public release to make confirmation from user experiences that past issues are resolved.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back