8 inch woofer

flat_listener

Hi members!

I am in need of replacement woofers for my 10 year old DIY speakers... now that Philips stopped making drivers, can you pl point me to an alternative source?
If any body having 8" woofers by any chance, pl let me know.

Thanks

20190706_133231.jpg

20190706_133313.jpg

20190706_133323.jpg

You can't really drop in any woofer into your cabinet. Specs matter. I don't see many affordable 8 inch woofers in India. Probably Bolton ( extinct ?), or Iwai or Dainty ( car speakers). Other brand woofers ( or sub-woofers ?) are available on Amazon.in .
What's wrong with your current Philips woofer ? Maybe you can fix it ?

You can't really drop in any woofer into your cabinet. Specs matter. I don't see many affordable 8 inch woofers in India. Probably Bolton ( extinct ?), or Iwai or Dainty ( car speakers). Other brand woofers ( or sub-woofers ?) are available on Amazon.in .
What's wrong with your current Philips woofer ? Maybe you can fix it ?

Look at the offerings at diyaudiocart.com and diyaudioparts.com.

Maybe Diyaudioparts.com is better. You have drivers for around 3K+ . Look up
www.iwaispeakers.com also. Might be less expensive.

Thanks for the suggestions... i am looking for low cost replacements.

-

You can take a look at these speakers from Eastern India. I found them to be of decent build quality, with coated paper cone similar to PEERLESS.

T/S parameters are provided as an added advantage... for you to tweak or redesign the crossover.

You can shop online at this dealer or contact the manufacturer.

Always try to measure the T/S parameters of your driver. Usually expensive drivers are close to published specs but less expensive drivers can be all over the place.

Always try to measure the T/S parameters of your driver. Usually expensive drivers are close to published specs but less expensive drivers can be all over the place.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to digest this in detail for my future projects...

1. what equipment do I need to measure T/S?
what basic setup I would need? (lower cost will be good).

2. what kind of SPL meter do I need to get the the speaker frequency/SPL graph produced?, some sort of mic-software combo?

Any ways, the drivers arrived and they fitted perfectly in the existing cutout.
Fired the speakers with my fingers crossed... happy ending with satisfying result... thanks @hydrovac for a good pointer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to digest this in detail for my future projects...

1. what equipment do I need to measure T/S?
what basic setup I would need? (lower cost will be good).

2. what kind of SPL meter do I need to get the the speaker frequency/SPL graph produced?, some sort of mic-software combo?

Any ways, the drivers arrived and they fitted perfectly in the existing cutout.
Fired the speakers with my fingers crossed... happy ending with satisfying result... thanks @hydrovac for a good pointer.

View attachment 37151

View attachment 37152
Why is it mentioned full range speaker
Try LIFE, Dainity, IWAI, if possible Zipp.
These are easily available from ritchy street Chennai.
Somewhere about 1600~1800.
They are true subwoofers.
Please ask Chennai based members to purchase and courier it...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back