83 and 88 inch OLED TVs

RD was selling Sony X85 85" for 2.9 lakhs not long back. It must have cone down a notch. There are sub 3 L entry level TVs these days.
That's amazing. Very good price and if so then we will certainly see a reduction of large TV prices. Very heartening and I only wish I could have bought for these prices! What are the prices for the higher end big size TVs these days ( I mean actual in showroom price not online)?

By the way which store is RD? I am not familiar with the abbreviation.

That's amazing. Very good price and if so then we will certainly see a reduction of large TV prices. Very heartening and I only wish I could have bought for these prices! What are the prices for the higher end big size TVs these days ( I mean actual in showroom price not online)?

By the way which store is RD? I am not familiar with the abbreviation.
Reliance digital. The X95K 85" mini LED, the next best in line after OLED PQ, was still lingering at 5 lakhs or little under it. It compensates for 83" OLED to a large extent. But with large size TVs the FALD or mini LED, screen blooming could get distinct.

Reliance digital. The X95K 85" mini LED, the next best in line after OLED PQ, was still lingering at 5 lakhs or little under it. It compensates for 83" OLED to a large extent. But with large size TVs the FALD or mini LED, screen blooming could get distinct.

That is a good price if this is the current high end, I don't subscribe to "OLED PQ", OLEDs look horrible/worst PQ to me otherwise I would have a 83 or 88 or whatever OLED, so if the X95 is the highest LED TV line then it is the "best PQ" for people like me who can't stand OLEDs. I am happy to hear this if indeed top PQ TVs of this size are now under 5L.

That is a good price if this is the current high end, I don't subscribe to "OLED PQ", OLEDs look horrible/worst PQ to me otherwise I would have a 83 or 88 or whatever OLED, so if the X95 is the highest LED TV line then it is the "best PQ" for people like me who can't stand OLEDs. I am happy to hear this if indeed top PQ TVs of this size are now under 5L.
I think the very limited in inventory "Z9k" is the top of the line in Sony product, is 8k resolution and is supposedly very bright. Thats probably 8 lakhs plus product in 85" size and so would be available after pre ordering only I think.

I think the very limited in inventory "Z9k" is the top of the line in Sony product, is 8k resolution and is supposedly very bright. Thats probably 8 lakhs plus product in 85" size and so would be available after pre ordering only I think.

That's great, I will keep this in mind next time I buy a TV for myself, it will be a while but it is good to see this. 8L is on the high side for a large TV, 5L and less is much better. I was particularly happy to hear about the 3L TV, that is progress. Hopefully it drops some more and more people buy and everyone can enjoy a large TV of their choosing in their homes. I have been out of the TV market for a while so I am not familiar with the models, I will have a look when I have some time but 8L is not really progress, that is what I saw years ago, this may be due to this model being high/top end. From what I gather the model line equivalents that were 8L years ago are now 5L so that is good.

In the USA when their per capita income of $70000 per annum compared to India's $3000 (arithmetic mean), 5 lakhs is a 2 years per capita income of the common man. But the richest 10% of population would outnumber any western country's purchasing power. But lets say In Pakistan a 5 lakhs INR would cost 17 lakhs PKR and their salary is just about India in PKR or even less and so thats like 7 years of their annual pay to buy a 5 lakhs 85 inch TV and maybe their politicians or army officers can only afford it. In Burundi maybe only 10 people in the entire country can afford it. Imagine after sales support for sub saharan nations! Or maybe a few more who are migrant workers in advanced countries bringing it back to their countries increasing the count.

This parity makes it look as if some countries can afford luxuries while others cant. India is somewhere in between but due to the population, foreign remittances and the growing rich elite, we match the purchasing power of the western countries. And besides just to show off one's status to neighbours and relatives, some mount up a large TV in their living room walls (me included) like a Mercedes in our garage show off. I am what I am in my own way and I am even surprised I have two 65" TV and a 75" TV in three rooms with a guilty conscience of flaunted so much money when people in impoverished countries dont even aspire for one of the many luxuries i spent for me and my family. Even my 83" OLED dream is just a fantasy and I dont intend to spend on it and instead would like to take the wife and the boys on a dream European holidays. To be forthright, I would like to hear from those who bought these sizes and with the PQ of OLED, would you trade it for a European holiday trip if it is a choice between one or the other?

Even my 83" OLED dream is just a fantasy and I dont intend to spend on it and instead would like to take the wife and the boys on a dream European holidays. To be forthright, I would like to hear from those who bought these sizes and with the PQ of OLED, would you trade it for a European holiday trip if it is a choice between one or the other?

Vacation time with family is beyond everything else and i would have gone for it anyday over purchasing a TV. However I have been abroad multiple times and it does not hold that much of a draw for me now hence buying a TV once in 5 years was a choice i excercised.

Investing a large sum on a TV also depends on individuals priorities. Some may want to upgrade their Car or invest the money over a vacation. I spend a lot of time on weekends and daily night watching some or other content on the TV. Hence for me the screen size mattered. With increasing availability of 4k/HDR / Dolby Vision content, i was feeling the 65 inch to be smaller sized.

I was also interested in ultra throw projectors which give you option of a screen size of 110 to 150 inches when placed just 8 inches from the wall. However i personally feel that this product needs to evolve some more before i can think of buying one. Maybe i will graduate after a few years from 83 inch OLED to a 97 inch OLED or a Ultra Short throw projector setup.

I was also interested in ultra throw projectors which give you option of a screen size of 110 to 150 inches when placed just 8 inches from the wall. However i personally feel that this product needs to evolve some more before i can think of buying one. Maybe i will graduate after a few years from 83 inch OLED to a 97 inch OLED or a Ultra Short throw projector setup.
Ultra short throw projector is what I am also thinking. "Evolve" as in brightness levels? What are the reasons why it is to be considered?

Guys a quick question has anyone here tried or bought from a Sony authorized second innings store ??

Ultra short throw projector is what I am also thinking. "Evolve" as in brightness levels? What are the reasons why it is to be considered?

Projectors have certain limitations.

1) Picture can't match TVs.
2) Must be used with lights off, except very bright projectors with specialty screens, best when used with rear projection for lights on.
3) Brightness dims as image increase, must use very bright projector for big bright image.
4) Installation requirements.
5) Not as easy to use as a TV. Usually takes some time to switch on/off. Usually has fan noise.
6) Usually doesn't come with as many features (or speakers) as a TV.

I have 3 projectors I don't use, for me what killed projectors were 1) and 2) combined with large TVs coming down to 10L and below. 4) and 5) also contributed.

Which lasts longer? Normal projector or ustp?

If you want a long lasting projector look for one with a laser light source instead of a bulb.

Guys a quick question has anyone here tried or bought from a Sony authorized second innings store ??

I haven't.

Overall technological progress similar to the journey which OLED TVs have undergone. Brightness is definitely a starting point, but extending to overall PQ, UI, Pricing, Serviceability, etc. It a evolution process dependent on time hence sensible to wait for few more years.

If you go through the projector central Laser showdown, not a single model cuts across majority of features which i would desire as on date.

Additionally the Samsung "Wall" and LG Magnit, both Micro LED screens are now available in the Indian market officially. Currently prohibitively prices, I am sure this option would become more affordable for a 100 inch screen in a few years.

Overall technological progress similar to the journey which OLED TVs have undergone. Brightness is definitely a starting point, but extending to overall PQ, UI, Pricing, Serviceability, etc. It a evolution process dependent on time hence sensible to wait for few more years.

If you go through the projector central Laser showdown, not a single model cuts across majority of features which i would desire as on date.

Additionally the Samsung "Wall" and LG Magnit, both Micro LED screens are now available in the Indian market officially. Currently prohibitively prices, I am sure this option would become more affordable for a 100 inch screen in a few years.
I could build a theater multiplex for the price of micro LED giant screens ))

In my quest for an 85" TV on lowest possible price, there is a TCL 85" with 3 years warranty, 2019 model display piece offered for 1.6 lakhs but it is low on brightness. Plus when i asked if it can be offered for 1.25 lakhs as it was 1.9 L original new piece price in 2020, i was told therr are offers for 1.5 lakhs already and they are pushing for 1.6 L. I gave it up. I wanted it to replace my Sony 75" 8000h which I can sell it to my cousin for 1.25 lakhs. My advantages are I get 3 years warranty with this TV, with this tradeoff, as my Sony 8000h will have warranty only till this November and i can sell it at that price when still in warranty. Plus an 85" really is a sugar fit, on a huge hall that has a dining table at nearly 18 feet away from the wall mount. These two TVs maybe similar in brightness. But my issue is, even if covered under 3 years of warranty, still was a display piece. Secondly the salesman's stubborn refusal to negotiate the price hurts my ego as i have done countless referrals to him and yet getting a cold shoulder on a display piece price bargain. And thirdly, a Sony TV is traded off for a TCL.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back