83 and 88 inch OLED TVs

Donivlapog

Its been a while since these two sizes have been introduced but I have noticed hardly any traction in demand or volumes in transaction in showrooms or in their inventory list to really spark a price correction. There are no threads also about consumers looking for these sizes nor are there reviews about recent purchases.

Could those who have recently bought these sizes in OLED technology share their experiences and the price at which you bought it and whether it is recommended for those who are interested in buying these gigantors, please write here. Thanks in advance.

Few thoughts:

There are select buyers for these sizes in Indian market hence we do not get to see many reviews or experiences shared. BTW LG has also listed the 97 inch G2 on its Indian website as coming soon (will be Made in Korea- imported model like the 88 Z1/Z2).

97/88/83/77 sizes are significantly high cost compared to US or UK market as they are all imported in our country and considering the duties/taxes applicable here. 83/77 C1 were imported from Vietnam. 83/77 C2 were imported from Indonesia.

Price is also determined by competition, e.g. Sony does not offer a 83 inch option in India hence LG can decide the price. Panasonic has recently launched a 55/65 inch model, but their pricing never makes sense. They also dont launch their flagship models in the country. I owned a 65VT30 plasma TV till it developed a panel problem - vertical lines (was Made in Thailand model). I was interested in buying their 65FZ1000 in 2019 but lowest price i got was 2.24 lacs. I ended up buying C9 for 1.77 approx after Cashback and with Home theater bundled.

Thing to note is that LG eventually sold all 83 inch C1 models in India and now the C2 has also seem to be running out of stock. Last price available for both models was approx 7 lacs (MRP 12 lacs). It may take few years or when local manufacturing starts for them to make these sizes similar/lower priced to Western market or Vietnam (MRP of 83 C2 is 4.88 lac on vietnam website).

I do own a 83 inch C2 bought last year October 2022, upgraded from a 65 C9. Pretty happy with my purchase as i did all my research beforehand. Only observation I have to share with potential buyers is that 83 inch model is dimmer compared to 65 inch model due to its sheer size, hence do keep in mind before making a purchase.

As i have set it up in the bedroom and dont have any direct light coming into the room during the day it works well. I am extremely satisfied with the default picture modes available ( Filmmaker / Cinema Home, etc). SD content is best avoided on a OLED as per my experience.

My primary media consumption is from OTT platforms, You Tube and occasionally a movie from Himedia player. I had to add a Sound bar (Samsung Q990B) as the TV speakers are really pathetic and you wont enjoy them for any content. I would highly recommend as the Sound quality is amazing and the price was also a steal (72.5K).

My recommendation would be to hold for a few years till prices come down for the 77/83/88/97 inch models. The 83 inch C3 wont have MLA technology hence it will be similar to a C2 hence no major upgrade. Bigger sizes may also be available in QD OLED which will add to the options available for a buyer.

I personally believe in buying current products available as per my requirement. Technology will always keep evolving hence there will never be a perfect product....period.

Few thoughts:

There are select buyers for these sizes in Indian market hence we do not get to see many reviews or experiences shared. BTW LG has also listed the 97 inch G2 on its Indian website as coming soon (will be Made in Korea- imported model like the 88 Z1/Z2).

97/88/83/77 sizes are significantly high cost compared to US or UK market as they are all imported in our country and considering the duties/taxes applicable here. 83/77 C1 were imported from Vietnam. 83/77 C2 were imported from Indonesia.

Price is also determined by competition, e.g. Sony does not offer a 83 inch option in India hence LG can decide the price. Panasonic has recently launched a 55/65 inch model, but their pricing never makes sense. They also dont launch their flagship models in the country. I owned a 65VT30 plasma TV till it developed a panel problem - vertical lines (was Made in Thailand model). I was interested in buying their 65FZ1000 in 2019 but lowest price i got was 2.24 lacs. I ended up buying C9 for 1.77 approx after Cashback and with Home theater bundled.

Thing to note is that LG eventually sold all 83 inch C1 models in India and now the C2 has also seem to be running out of stock. Last price available for both models was approx 7 lacs (MRP 12 lacs). It may take few years or when local manufacturing starts for them to make these sizes similar/lower priced to Western market or Vietnam (MRP of 83 C2 is 4.88 lac on vietnam website).

I do own a 83 inch C2 bought last year October 2022, upgraded from a 65 C9. Pretty happy with my purchase as i did all my research beforehand. Only observation I have to share with potential buyers is that 83 inch model is dimmer compared to 65 inch model due to its sheer size, hence do keep in mind before making a purchase.

As i have set it up in the bedroom and dont have any direct light coming into the room during the day it works well. I am extremely satisfied with the default picture modes available ( Filmmaker / Cinema Home, etc). SD content is best avoided on a OLED as per my experience.

My primary media consumption is from OTT platforms, You Tube and occasionally a movie from Himedia player. I had to add a Sound bar (Samsung Q990B) as the TV speakers are really pathetic and you wont enjoy them for any content. I would highly recommend as the Sound quality is amazing and the price was also a steal (72.5K).

My recommendation would be to hold for a few years till prices come down for the 77/83/88/97 inch models. The 83 inch C3 wont have MLA technology hence it will be similar to a C2 hence no major upgrade. Bigger sizes may also be available in QD OLED which will add to the options available for a buyer.

I personally believe in buying current products available as per my requirement. Technology will always keep evolving hence there will never be a perfect product....period.
Small correction, LG C9 cost was 1.87 excluding Soundbar

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response. I dont intend to buy one either, just wanted to hear from those who bought one or in search for one. What are their thoughts and reviews etc... No active discussions either in this forum.

... Still holding my horses,
but looks like, eventually , it will be a washed out dream waiting for another few years. losing the itch.

... Still holding my horses,
but looks like, eventually , it will be a washed out dream waiting for another few years. losing the itch.
What size you wanted to purchase and which model?? I know 77 inch size is king of tv thesedays

Few thoughts:

Do you what will be price of 65 and 77 inch sony qd oleds which will be launched in india this year and why dint you go for sony a80k model instead of lg c2 ?

Do you what will be price of 65 and 77 inch sony qd oleds which will be launched in india this year and why dint you go for sony a80k model instead of lg c2 ?
Irrespective of the launch price the best time to buy a TV in Indian market is during Diwali. Personal experience as I have bought the LG C9 and C2. People have waited for new models to launch so that prices may drop on existing models. The risk here is that the stock might run out or you may end up with a display piece.

When I was on lookout for the 65 inch model the prices of Sony models were quite high and I did not feel that the extra money over LG was worth spending. I was extremely happy with the C9 picture quality and sound as well when mounted on stand.

83 inch screen size was available only from LG hence no option.

Irrespective of the launch price the best time to buy a TV in Indian market is during Diwali.

83 inch screen size was available only from LG hence no option.
Now i get it. Because LG is a monopoly in 83 and 88" the prices have not gone down. Plus other factors such as wall mounting space required, popularity with the 65", a sweet spot in TV demand and the pixel density reduction. Demand and supply are based on some or all these parameters. I wonder what was the lowest price in offer during diwali sale for 83" oleds?

Last edited:
What size you wanted to purchase and which model?? I know 77 inch size is king of tv thesedays
The objective is to get a wall to wall screen size, not merely looking based on size or model , Just that to utilize all possible real-estate available between the front 2 speakers, Room being 10 feet wide excluding bookshelf. 83" tv will be about 6 Feet wide ( current 65"/55" is about 4.75/4 feet). There can still be about 2 feet space available to utilise.

so, the available options can be Ultra short throw or these extra large TV which does not make a case considering the monies involved.
Younger sibling has a sony 75"( a year+ old - don't recollect the model no.) but its not as bright as LG 65" (5+ year old).

May cave in for some U Short Throw projector ( brighter ones ) some time. But not a priority right now - very limited contents of my taste now a days.

May cave in for some U Short Throw projector ( brighter ones ) some time. But not a priority right now - very limited contents of my taste now a days.
That is indeed a case in point. I am just interested in watching news these days after getting fed up with quality of content these days.

It is a cycle, they are expensive so people don't buy them, so demand is low so prices don't come down. People who buy TVs are often very price conscious as well and 55/65" TVs are very affordable by comparison. Also many people buy TVs that are not OLEDs. I have two 80"+ TVs, neither are OLEDs, many people buy 80"+ TVs that are not OLEDs so they are excluded from your post. In general though it's all about cost, if you make 80"+ TVs from the major manufacturers available at say 3 Lacs or less, many more people will buy it.

It is a cycle, they are expensive so people don't buy them, so demand is low so prices don't come down. People who buy TVs are often very price conscious as well and 55/65" TVs are very affordable by comparison. Also many people buy TVs that are not OLEDs. I have two 80"+ TVs, neither are OLEDs, many people buy 80"+ TVs that are not OLEDs so they are excluded from your post. In general though it's all about cost, if you make 80"+ TVs from the major manufacturers available at say 3 Lacs or less, many more people will buy it.
Good point. At the same time when 85" LCD TVs became affordable, 77" OLEDs dropped in price. Not 83. In 2022, 83 inch TVs became more mainstream in inventory list but the deman was low and it did not propel among the masses and pretty soon became a white elephant among the TV dealers and their showrooms. Even online inventory stopped and they de-listed these web pages in croma or RD or Vijay sales website and it faded out instead of becoming the next in demand size. I noticed how only Delhi or Mumbai even had those models in their stock. So 85 inches LCD at sub 3 L was preferred over this at 7 plus lakhs retail. 77" too was at that ball park but it gradually went down. 83" (the biggest sized 4k oled panel) may come down i think and 88" (which is 8k in oled) will come down to about 6 lakhs soon. Somehow my prediction I reckon has a bit of challenges though, i feel.

Good point. At the same time when 85" LCD TVs became affordable, 77" OLEDs dropped in price. Not 83. In 2022, 83 inch TVs became more mainstream in inventory list but the deman was low and it did not propel among the masses and pretty soon became a white elephant among the TV dealers and their showrooms. Even online inventory stopped and they de-listed these web pages in croma or RD or Vijay sales website and it faded out instead of becoming the next in demand size. I noticed how only Delhi or Mumbai even had those models in their stock. So 85 inches LCD at sub 3 L was preferred over this at 7 plus lakhs retail. 77" too was at that ball park but it gradually went down. 83" (the biggest sized 4k oled panel) may come down i think and 88" (which is 8k in oled) will come down to about 6 lakhs soon. Somehow my prediction I reckon has a bit of challenges though, i feel.
80"+ TVs are still not affordable for most, there are some TVs that are cheaper and less than 3L like perhaps Vu or TCL but most are not and are generally priced much higher. There are not that many 80+ models available in India as well. I think the demand for 80"+ TVs are there, it's just most won't be willing to pay the current prices so it doesn't move. Most people are more than happy to buy a large TV, if it fits in budget. Many who have the budget don't care and buy whatever. To make these TVs cheaper, the manufacturers need to bring down the price to 3-3.5L and it will get the ball rolling. You must know India is a price conscious market, where many still buy TVs costing less than 30-40,000.

...So 85 inches LCD at sub 3 L was preferred over this at 7 plus lakhs retail.....
I think , It has been the similar trend 6 year back too for the top hot selling formats.
had paid 3.2lk for non-oled instead of 5.5lkh for oled 65" - bargain could only take down to 5lkh from various outlets.
prices will eventually come down, but the demand may not be the same - i.e I may not be part of it by that time.

80"+ TVs are still not affordable for most, there are some TVs that are cheaper and less than 3L like perhaps Vu or TCL but most are not and are generally priced much higher. There are not that many 80+ models available in India as well. I think the demand for 80"+ TVs are there, it's just most won't be willing to pay the current prices so it doesn't move. Most people are more than happy to buy a large TV, if it fits in budget. Many who have the budget don't care and buy whatever. To make these TVs cheaper, the manufacturers need to bring down the price to 3-3.5L and it will get the ball rolling. You must know India is a price conscious market, where many still buy TVs costing less than 30-40,000.
I think, most of the Manufacture will ideally push for what can be done easily , Its a easy to clear the stock of 20 units at 30K compared to 2 unit of 3L.
so, they may want to keep the 3L unit as is and try to squeeze out pockets who can afford instead of reducing any, 30K unit keep them in the market.

I think, most of the Manufacture will ideally push for what can be done easily , Its a easy to clear the stock of 20 units at 30K compared to 2 unit of 3L.
so, they may want to keep the 3L unit as is and try to squeeze out pockets who can afford instead of reducing any, 30K unit keep them in the market.

I agree, mass volumes keep most businesses afloat. Are there any 3L 80"+ TVs from a major manufacturer? They will move the higher size prices down eventually as they introduce even larger TVs as well as possible consumer video walls. Then the larger size TVs may occupy the same segment as 55/65 TVs do today. I remember years ago when the larger TVs did not exist even a 65 TV cost a lot more than it does today so it is likely the larger TVs will come down in price eventually. If we go back further there were 34" CRTs I think, at least in India. As technology progresses, improved products come and eventually they go down in price as even newer products come. This has been a constant in the computer market be it consumer or enterprise. Consumer electronics have also generally followed suit. The manufacturers will of course, as you say, always have a premium segment to squeeze those who have the money for these products.

agree.

One more issue point with large TV, they weight around 40+ kgs. This may bring down the wall If I were to wall mount in my apt. :)

agree.

One more issue point with large TV, they weight around 40+ kgs. This may bring down the wall If I were to wall mount in my apt. :)

This is true, while I don't know the exact weight, my room is sound proofed and acoustically treated, there is glasswool, fiberboard, wooden frames and cloth on all walls, mounting it required some modification and creativity. I had to plan this in advance of my pruchase to make sure it would mount. For most folks living in concrete/brick homes it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree, mass volumes keep most businesses afloat. Are there any 3L 80"+ TVs from a major manufacturer? They will move the higher size prices down eventually as they introduce even larger TVs as well as possible consumer video walls. Then the larger size TVs may occupy the same segment as 55/65 TVs do today. I remember years ago when the larger TVs did not exist even a 65 TV cost a lot more than it does today so it is likely the larger TVs will come down in price eventually. If we go back further there were 34" CRTs I think, at least in India. As technology progresses, improved products come and eventually they go down in price as even newer products come. This has been a constant in the computer market be it consumer or enterprise. Consumer electronics have also generally followed suit. The manufacturers will of course, as you say, always have a premium segment to squeeze those who have the money for these products.
RD was selling Sony X85 85" for 2.9 lakhs not long back. It must have cone down a notch. There are sub 3 L entry level TVs these days.

Back