8k, what do you envisage?

ankitbhargava

Its not been very long when Atmos and 4K was rare, now we have several OTT streaming option. To top it up Dolby Vision has changed the game.
What do you feel, how long would it take for 8K to become a norm in Household?

This information might help the FMs who are buying new gear or upgrading and 8K is one big factor to consider.

8k shouldn’t become a norm and it isn’t required IMO. 4k is more then enough and still it has not become a norm in most household. Not all movies and tv shows are available in 4khdr. Also many watch sports, regional drama, reality series etc. If all these are available in 4k only then you can call 4k has become a norm in every household IMO. 8k will only be a headache. When it becomes a norm all the gears will become expensive. You will need additional bandwidth from ISP, Large space in your hard disk, cables needs to be upgraded which will make it very expensive. Do we really need 8k and go through all this hassle? Definitely not. It’s just snake oil for the industry to squeeze more money from customers.I saw 8k demos in showroom and was least impressed compared to 4k

Last edited:
I have no interest in HDR/DoVi and almost none in 4K, personally I don't think it has much value but it will eventually be forced down the consumers throat for money, before jumping on to the next thing. UHDR?

When gigabit internet with no data caps becomes the norm.

Now this I am interested in. 4K,HDR, who cares? Most people today are watching stuff on their phones. This thread is really only for enthusiasts. That too the ones who will seek out 4K and HDR content AND like it on a personal level.

To be honest, when 4k was the next big thing, I remember people saying that 1080p was good enough and we can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p.

That might have had some truth when the average display size was a lot smaller than it is now.

I can easily tell apart 4k and 1080p on my 65 inch screen and TV screens are only getting bigger.

8k will eventually be the norm and we would be able to tell the difference between 4k and native 8k content. It just depends on the screen size and viewing distance.

To be honest, when 4k was the next big thing, I remember people saying that 1080p was good enough and we can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080p.
I can easily tell apart 4k and 1080p on my 65 inch screen and TV screens are only getting bigger.
That’s because the comparisons would have been mostly in SDR at the beginning stage. HDR is the real deal in 4k. You normally won’t notice much between the same 1080p and 4k SDR contents.

That’s because the comparisons would have been mostly in SDR at the beginning stage. HDR is the real deal in 4k. You normally won’t notice much between the same 1080p and 4k SDR contents.
Not really. I can easily tell the apart 1080p and 4k SDR

The point may not be the difference, rather if it adds to the viewing experience subjectively. For me HDR is worthless and 4K has little value. I use my monitor in 1080p mode even though it can do 4K. I watch SDR versions of video when I can watch HDR versions.

You are correct that as screen sizes increase and viewing distance creeps closer then it may be more noticeable. Possibly of greater importance in projectors which may have been the main question for the OP.

Not really. I can easily tell the apart 1080p and 4k SDR
I have a top Sony 1080p tv and use nvidia shield in my c9. The YouTube app in shield doesn’t support HDR but plays them in 4k SDR. So I have did side by side comparisons and the 4k did look better but it was not apples to apples comparisons since the Sony tv is a 5 years old tv model compared to the c9. Same level 1080p tv and a 4k tv the differences wouldn’t be huge for SDR.My friend has an equivalent Sony 4k tv purchased in the same year and it only does 4k since it was purchased at the early stage when HDR was not a norm. The difference in his tv and mine isn’t huge and won’t be noticed by many.Have you also done side by side comparisons? If so which tv?

I have a top Sony 1080p tv and use nvidia shield in my c9. The YouTube app in shield doesn’t support HDR but plays them in 4k SDR. So I have did side by side comparisons and the 4k did look better but it was not apples to apples comparisons since the Sony tv is a 5 years old tv model compared to the c9. Same level 1080p tv and a 4k tv the differences wouldn’t be huge for SDR.My friend has an equivalent Sony 4k tv purchased in the same year and it only does 4k since it was purchased at the early stage when HDR was not a norm. The difference in his tv and mine isn’t huge and won’t be noticed by many.Have you also done side by side comparisons? If so which tv?

First up, what size TV do you own and how far do you sit from it? Mine is a 65 inch LG BX and I sit approximately 6 feet away from the TV.

I don't have to do side by side A/B comparisons because the differences between 4k and 1080p are so obvious to me, to the point I actively stay away from 1080p content unless it is something I really want to watch.

My cousin who visited me just yesterday also immediately picked out the difference between 4k and 1080p resolutions for the same content. The resolution went down from 4k to 1080p for a brief moment (Internet speed hit a snag) and he immediately commented on it. It was a YouTube video from the channel Mostly Walking. Although the content on the channel is HDR, we were watching it on Apple TV 4k whose YouTube app does not support HDR. This was his first experience with a 4k display so he wasn't a resolution snob by any means.

One's eye sight could also play a part in this. Just because you can't tell apart 4k and 1080p doesn't mean it is so for everyone else.

Last edited:
One's eye sight could also play a part in this. Just because you can't tell apart 4k and 1080p doesn't mean it is so for everyone else.
For argument sake I can also say the same that just cause you and your cousin saw something it doesn’t mean the same for every one else. Now coming back to topic where did I say there is no difference between 4k and 1080p? I said not huge difference in SDR and that is why many at the beginning didn’t find much difference.Side by side comparisons may be meaningless to you but it is the best approach for comparing Tv’s and to see the difference between 1080p and 4k. I assume you and your cousin saw both the 1080p and 4k video in the same LG BX? If so that is a wrong way to compare. I have a 65 inch c9 and watch from 7-8 feet. My question and post was not meant to compete with your assessment on 1080p vs 4k but to understand how you analysed and also an explanation on why people at the beginning didn’t find much difference between 4k and 1080p.

Last edited:
+1
While there is a distinct difference between 4K and 1080p sdr, it’s far from a Wow difference especially when watching even on a large screen from a reasonable distance.

Add HDR to the mix (and a display that is actually capable of handling HDR well)- and the wow factor jumps up several fold.

As for the OP, I would rather wish for wider availability of displays that improve on peak HDR brightness (QLED) coupled with 0/near zero darks (OLED) instead of trying to jump further up in resolution.

Last edited:
For argument sake I can also say the same that just cause you and your cousin saw something it doesn’t mean the same for every one else. Now coming back to topic where did I say there is no difference between 4k and 1080p? I said not huge difference in SDR and that is why many at the beginning didn’t find much difference.Side by side comparisons may be meaningless to you but it is the best approach for comparing Tv’s and to see the difference between 1080p and 4k. I assume you and your cousin saw both the 1080p and 4k video in the same LG BX? If so that is a wrong way to compare. I have a 65 inch c9 and watch from 7-8 feet. My question and post was not meant to compete with your assessment on 1080p vs 4k but to understand how you analysed and also an explanation on why people at the beginning didn’t find much difference between 4k and 1080p.

I am watching the same content on the same TV at different resolutions and I can easily tell them apart. Was that not your original point? That 4k SDR and 1080p are not that far apart to the point most people wont tell the difference? Well that has not been my experience nor the people around me.

After getting used 4k content, 1080p on my TV is so jarring that I actively stay away from shows that are not in 4k. I can't speak for your experience. Maybe my eye sight is better or maybe the upscaling on the C9 is leagues better than on the BX. To me the differences are not even subtle.

I am watching the same content on the same TV at different resolutions and I can easily tell them apart. Was that not your original point? That 4k SDR and 1080p are not that far apart to the point most people wont tell the difference? Well that has not been my experience nor the people around me.

After getting used 4k content, 1080p on my TV is so jarring that I actively stay away from shows that are not in 4k. I can't speak for your experience. Maybe my eye sight is better or maybe the upscaling on the C9 is leagues better than on the BX. To me the differences are not even subtle.
Your eyesight may or may not be better; just that you didn’t understand my point clearly and no watching same content on same tv was not my original point. Your comparisons is not apples to apples. You need to watch the same content in a 1080p tv which is equivalent to BX. Sadly there is no 1080p Oled tv in the market. When 4k tvs where launched the top 1080p tv’s where excellent and came with the best processors Which will produce the best 1080p image compared to 4k tv’s upscaled image. 1080p Image won’t be sharp and crisp compared to a 4k content on a 4k tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your eyesights isn’t any better just that you didn’t understand my point clearly and no watching same content on same tv was not my original point. Your comparisons is not apples to apples. You need to watch the same content in a 1080p tv which is equivalent to BX. Sadly there is no 1080p Oled tv in the market. When 4k tvs where launched the top 1080p tv’s where excellent and came with the best processors Which will produce the best 1080p image compared to BX upscaling. 1080p Image won’t be sharp and crisp compared to a 4k content on a 4k tv.
I get the point. But I am willing to bet 1080p on a big enough high end 1080p TV will not look nearly as good as 4K content on a 4K tv. Size is the biggest factor. At some point the pixels will be stretched too thin and no amount of processing can fix that.

The average TV size in a household is not the same as it was 10 years before. As manufacturing methods gets more efficient, the price of large displays will go down. Which in turn would facilitate the need for higher resolutions. This was my original point. 8k might seem superfluous now, but this will not be the case 10 years from now.

I get the point. But I am willing to bet 1080p on a big enough high end 1080p TV will not look nearly as good as 4K content on a 4K tv. Size is the biggest factor. At some point the pixels will be stretched too thin and no amount of processing can fix that.

The average TV size in a household is not the same as it was 10 years before. As manufacturing methods gets more efficient, the price of large displays will go down. Which in turn would facilitate the need for higher resolutions. This was my original point. 8k might seem superfluous now, but this will not be the case 10 years from now.
I only commented on why people felt there was not much difference between 4k and 1080p. More then resolution it is HDR that is the game changer. 8k is just a gimmick to earn more money.Now that tv costs are coming down the manufacturers need to introduce something that is not at all required at the moment. Even 4k hasn’t evolved completely. The tv’s that we use aren’t even native 4k resolution. It is UHD.

I only commented on why people felt there was not much difference between 4k and 1080p. More then resolution it is HDR that is the game changer. 8k is just a gimmick to earn more money.Now that tv costs are coming down the manufacturers need to introduce something that is not at all required at the moment. Even 4k hasn’t evolved completely. The tv’s that we use aren’t even native 4k resolution. It is UHD.
This was exactly my point. People were calling 4K a gimmick not that long ago. 8K is not a gimmick. We just don’t have the TV or the content to comfortably tell the difference right now. This will not be the case in a few years time.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back