A couple of noob queries

Yogesh

No Where Near to where I want to be yet...
Hi all,

Here r my 2 noob queries,

1. Regarding THD, onkyo 5105 has THD of 0.08%, 1KHZ,1 W. Now, it's output is 130W, so total THD will be 0.08*130 = 10.4%. Am I right? Now, Sony has Total THD of <10%. So, which one better in this regard? (Sony has less speaker Impe and smaller drivers, that I know). PL explain, If I am wrong.

2. I plan to buy a HTiB today, which doen't support HD-audio. So, in future when I buy a BDP, Will be I able to decode HD-Audio at source and feed it as LPCM through optical to my HTiB? This will save money as HD-Audio capable devices r pretty costly today. By the way Does ne BDPs support video playback thru USB today?(As Most DVPs do, BDPs must be, or in future they will I suppose). OR r there ne software available to convert HD-Audio to 5.1 SD-Audio whilr retaining HD PQ?

1. Regarding THD, onkyo 5105 has THD of 0.08%, 1KHZ,1 W. Now, it's output is 130W, so total THD will be 0.08*130 = 10.4%. Am I right? Now, Sony has Total THD of <10%. So, which one better in this regard? (Sony has less speaker Impe and smaller drivers, that I know). PL explain, If I am wrong.

I don't think you can multiply the THD for the amplifier by the number of channels and come to the resultant THD for the amp. If an amp has a THD of xx%, it should be for all channels driven. I am surprised Sony is quoting 10% THD. That should sound horrible.

2. I plan to buy a HTiB today, which doen't support HD-audio. So, in future when I buy a BDP, Will be I able to decode HD-Audio at source and feed it as LPCM through optical to my HTiB? This will save money as HD-Audio capable devices r pretty costly today. By the way Does ne BDPs support video playback thru USB today?(As Most DVPs do, BDPs must be, or in future they will I suppose). OR r there ne software available to convert HD-Audio to 5.1 SD-Audio whilr retaining HD PQ?

HD Audio can be transmitted from the player to the amplifier in one of the following two ways:

1. Decoded at the source and sent as 7 analogue signals. You need to connect some RCA cables between the source and amp.

2. Sent as raw coded data (bitstream) through HDMI for the amp to decode and play.

3. Decoded by the player and sent as LPCM over HDMI cable.

Neither the S/PDIF (optical) nor coaxial digital have the bandwidth necessary to carry HD Audio.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back