a decent home theater setup!!!

pheonixx

hi guys!!

First of alll i would like to thank the moderators and other members of the forum for running such a wonderful site.:clapping:

After going thru most of the topics in the forum in the last two days i have not only learnt a lot about speakers and amps and other stuff nbut it has also helped me realise what a blunder i was about to do!!

I had always heard from my elder bro that u shud build a system slowly and that never made any sense to me. But thanks to hifivision its now doing same.

Some of my questions can be noobish but thats what i am in the world of sound.:lol:

Ne ways getting back to my post, i am looking for a decent home theater system for my room. The size aint that big but i want to buy an amp which i dint need to change for the next 3-4 yrs. And please suggest me some budget speakers to go with them.

Here are a few details:

1. Audio preference (Music / Movies / Gaming) = 20 % / 50% / 30%

2. Budget = Rs. 20,000 for amp and 10-15 k for speakers. The lesser the better:yahoo:

3. Room Size (Lenght x Breadth x Height) = 12L x 15 x 9.5

4. Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) = tata sky / samsung dvd player / xbox 360

5. Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = just my old TV /

6. Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = N

I dont have a brand fancy or sumthing but i dun even wanna go for sum chinese brands. I wanna build up my system over a period of 1 yr and would like to buy stuff slowly as have already purchsed a bb and xbox this year.

After going through the forum i figured out the followinf AVR's:

Yamaha RXV365
DENON 1610
Maurantz 5003
Onkyo sr307

as for the speakers i am not sure at the moment.

Since i will be travelling to china d next week and will be in shanghai for 3-4 days i thought about checking the prices of the stuff there and this is what i have got. I would like to be advised whether its worth buying stuff from there or even the deals which i am getting are worth the trouble of getting it from there.

DENON - AVR 1807 - 17420
AVR 1507 - 10400
AVR 1509 - 14170

YAMAHA - rxv365 - 12870

For speakers:
DENON - M330 S - 12220

YAMAHA - NS7900 - 14300 for all the 5 spks
YAMAHA - NS9002 - 5187
YAMAHA - NS P 9002 - 5577
YAMAHA - NS 9502 - 6672
YAMAHA - NS AP9500M - 11375

Jamo - A-500 - 11375
Jamo - C-401 - 12870

the prices are very tempting specially for yamaha speakers as compared to india they are 30 - 40 percent cheaper.

Now guys please temme is it worth buying the speakers or the amp from china and buying the other one from india or should i but both from india?

And if i shud buy anything from china then can you guys suggest me a retailer or dealer there?

And if you guys suggest me amp and speakers then please give me a price idea as the dealers in calcutta charge more for the stuff and it will enable me to get a good deal.

As far auditioning is concerned, i dont want to do it because whatever system i hear will be better than the crappy Samsung HTIB i own at the moment.

Many Thanks for looking at my post and giving me feedbacks.

Do not look at speakers from Denon / Yamaha etc... Also if you want to build system slowly only invest in the front 2 speakers to start with. Later on add the centre, sub and surrounds.

Starting Option

AVR: Denon 1610 for 25k or grey 20k
Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or MS Aviano 1 (Both available at SKS Traders in Kolkata) or Polk RTi A1 at ProFX.

hi guys!!

First of alll i would like to thank the moderators and other members of the forum for running such a wonderful site.:clapping:

After going thru most of the topics in the forum in the last two days i have not only learnt a lot about speakers and amps and other stuff nbut it has also helped me realise what a blunder i was about to do!!

I had always heard from my elder bro that u shud build a system slowly and that never made any sense to me. But thanks to hifivision its now doing same.

Some of my questions can be noobish but thats what i am in the world of sound.:lol:

Ne ways getting back to my post, i am looking for a decent home theater system for my room. The size aint that big but i want to buy an amp which i dint need to change for the next 3-4 yrs. And please suggest me some budget speakers to go with them.

Here are a few details:

1. Audio preference (Music / Movies / Gaming) = 20 % / 50% / 30%

2. Budget = Rs. 20,000 for amp and 10-15 k for speakers. The lesser the better:yahoo:

3. Room Size (Lenght x Breadth x Height) = 12L x 15 x 9.5

4. Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) = tata sky / samsung dvd player / xbox 360

5. Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = just my old TV /

6. Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = N

I dont have a brand fancy or sumthing but i dun even wanna go for sum chinese brands. I wanna build up my system over a period of 1 yr and would like to buy stuff slowly as have already purchsed a bb and xbox this year.

After going through the forum i figured out the followinf AVR's:

Yamaha RXV365
DENON 1610
Maurantz 5003
Onkyo sr307

as for the speakers i am not sure at the moment.

Since i will be travelling to china d next week and will be in shanghai for 3-4 days i thought about checking the prices of the stuff there and this is what i have got. I would like to be advised whether its worth buying stuff from there or even the deals which i am getting are worth the trouble of getting it from there.

DENON - AVR 1807 - 17420
AVR 1507 - 10400
AVR 1509 - 14170

YAMAHA - rxv365 - 12870

For speakers:
DENON - M330 S - 12220

YAMAHA - NS7900 - 14300 for all the 5 spks
YAMAHA - NS9002 - 5187
YAMAHA - NS P 9002 - 5577
YAMAHA - NS 9502 - 6672
YAMAHA - NS AP9500M - 11375

Jamo - A-500 - 11375
Jamo - C-401 - 12870

the prices are very tempting specially for yamaha speakers as compared to india they are 30 - 40 percent cheaper.

Now guys please temme is it worth buying the speakers or the amp from china and buying the other one from india or should i but both from india?

And if i shud buy anything from china then can you guys suggest me a retailer or dealer there?

And if you guys suggest me amp and speakers then please give me a price idea as the dealers in calcutta charge more for the stuff and it will enable me to get a good deal.

As far auditioning is concerned, i dont want to do it because whatever system i hear will be better than the crappy Samsung HTIB i own at the moment.

Many Thanks for looking at my post and giving me feedbacks.

Steer clear of the jamo 401's as well as the a series. Nieither of them are up to the mark for their price point. You should look at a pair of cambridge audio sirocco bookshelves @ 8k and a center for another 10k, all youll need later is a pair of s70 floorstanders later on and youll be set with your denon 1610. Ultimate VFM setup imo.

thanks for the reply guys!!

I will take that into account of not buying speakers from yamaha or denon.

But my question is denon better than yamaha or onkyo in case of amplifiers or they are equivalent.( i know its kinda noobish)

Secondly, out of 1610 and 1807 why is 1610 preferred over and above a 1807.

Cheers

From what I understand, the 1610 atm is the best VFM avr that has all the features other avr's of the same price bracket does not have ( in india at least )

thanks for the reply guys!!
I will take that into account of not buying speakers from yamaha or denon.
But my question is denon better than yamaha or onkyo in case of amplifiers or they are equivalent.( i know its kinda noobish)
Secondly, out of 1610 and 1807 why is 1610 preferred over and above a 1807
Cheers

There is nothing new I am saying here and so I think most of members would agree. DENON is superb amp for movies. coupled with Polk Audio/Jamo (Polk my personal preference) set you get yourself a pretty decent HT. If a stereo setup is concered nothing comes close to Marantz Amp and CD Player coupled with Wharfdale 10.1 or even 10.5.
DENON 1610 is best in its class and has every basic feature one needs to built a decent HT.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back