A disastrous subwoofer journey

Adding delays to rear sub which is near to MLP.

That doesn’t always give the best combined response. In my room, for example, the best response is achieved when the subs in the front of my room (which are twice as far away from the MLP as the rear subs) are delayed as opposed to those in the back of the room.

You can experiment with delays for the other sub or run MSO to get delay/filter recommendations based on its optimisation.

Last edited:
That doesn’t always give the best combined response. In my room, the best response is achieved when the subs in the front of my room (which are twice as far away from the MLP as the rear subs) are delayed as opposed to those in the back of the room.

You can experiment with delays for the other sub or run MSO to get delay/filter recommendations based on its optimisation.
Ok I will try this step as well. My rear sub is actually placed just 3-4 feet next to my MLP and not behind MLP. So I thought of applying delay to the sub which is very close

So I thought of applying delay to the sub which is very close
The goal is not for the signals from the subwoofers to get to your ears at the same time. You’re looking for those signals to combine constructively to produce a reasonably flat FR at your MLP. Once you’re there, season your bass to taste (if you so desire) and enjoy.

The goal is not for the signals from the subwoofers to get to your ears at the same time. You’re looking for those signals to combine constructively to produce a reasonably flat FR at your MLP. Once you’re there, season your bass to taste (if you so desire) and enjoy.
Sure I will try this and hopefully it works out

Taken sub 1 out from avr and connected with mini dsp input 1. Output 1 from mini dsp is connected with sub 1 and output 2 to rear sub. Adding delays to rear sub which is near to MLP. No matter what values I experiment the results are the same
Okay, so are you generating the EQ for each sub separately?

Posting a couple of links which I refer to often:

1. Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide
2. Subwoofer Connection Guide For A Multi Subwoofer System
3. Setting Up Dual Subwoofers

Setting up dual subs is understandably tricky, however not impossible. Needs a Lot of patience and experimentation. I am sure, once you are done setting it up correctly, the result would be extremely rewarding.

MaSh

IMO it's too early to decide whether it's disastrous or not .
Check the possibilities of best placements first. Either physical or by REW simulator.( Which I have shown u during last visit).Level match it.
Then do alignment (time / phase) to get the best possible max output. Followed by EQ.

But Why? The subs are 2 different locations interacting with different aspects of the room. They need to be EQed separately.

MaSh
But with mini that’s how duals subs are calibrated right? You eq the combined response of both the subs and load it to mini dsp and link both the outputs. Individual as in measure both subs separately and eq them?

IMO it's too early to decide whether it's disastrous or not .
Check the possibilities of best placements first. Either physical or by REW simulator.( Which I have shown u during last visit).Level match it.
Then do alignment (time / phase) to get the best possible max output. Followed by EQ.
Yeah thanks for the visit. Placement is the main concern here as I have only front right and rear left options and worked very well with other subs. Many suggestions have poured in and guess I will take some time to experiment them and confirm. For now I switched back to one sub and quite liking the experience.

But with mini that’s how duals subs are calibrated right? You eq the combined response of both the subs and load it to mini dsp and link both the outputs. Individual as in measure both subs separately and eq them?
That would not work right. Both subs are in different locations. The issues faced by both subs are different. One medicine will not work for both. Try to Measure and EQ them separately. See if that makes a difference.

MaSh

That would not work right. Both subs are in different locations. The issues faced by both subs are different. One medicine will not work for both. Try to Measure and EQ them separately. See if that makes a difference.

MaSh
Ok that’s easy.I need to mute output 1 and measure sub 2 and vice versa. For both measurements I can eq and load them individually in output 1&2 PEQ respectively. Next how to integrate both subs? Unmute both and experiment different delays in mini dsp?

Ok that’s easy.I need to mute output 1 and measure sub 2 and vice versa. For both measurements I can eq and load them individually in output 1&2 PEQ respectively. Next how to integrate both subs? Unmute both and experiment different delays in mini dsp?
That's correct. You could just switch off the Sub one at a time. Leave the delays for now. Just apply the EQ as is and observe the difference. That would be step 1 in correcting the issues. Based on what you observe, the next steps will be taken.

MaSh

One other thing you could try is to lift one of the sub couple of feet off the ground. So, one is sitting on the floor another is 2feet above the floor.

Edit; 2feet I mentioned is arbitrary, you can try different height.

One other thing you could try is to lift one of the sub couple of feet off the ground. So, one is sitting on the floor another is 2feet above the floor.

Edit; 2feet I mentioned is arbitrary, you can try different height.
Yeah why not give it a try. Do you know of any economical way to do it with a big sub ?

What are you trying to get out of a dual sub set up, as in, what is the goal? Lets leave measurements out of this question.
As another FM mentioned, you are dealing with a case of bass over load in the room. It might have to do with the acoustics of the room than the sub itself.

I assume you've already checked phase.

The only reason you want to go dual sub is if one sub isn't giving you what you want. In 99% cases, its usually poor set up or acoustics.
Don't break your head over this. From what you describe, the sound was more than satisfactory with the one sub woofer. Then why bother going with two!

fyi, I was on the Central Production Team on Alita. All the cgi was done where I work.

What are you trying to get out of a dual sub set up, as in, what is the goal? Lets leave measurements out of this question.
As another FM mentioned, you are dealing with a case of bass over load in the room. It might have to do with the acoustics of the room than the sub itself.

The only reason you want to go dual sub is if one sub isn't giving you what you want. In 99% cases, its usually poor set up or acoustics.
Don't break your head over this. From what you describe, the sound was more than satisfactory with the one sub woofer. Then why bother going with two!

fyi, I was on the Central Production Team on Alita. All the cgi was done where I work.
I am supposed to right the above and you shot it...

However you are particular about keeping dual sub try one ceiling subwoofer plus one in ground or try keep the second subwoofer in a stand and try.

The reason for me to go for dual subs was at certain scenes there was no bass at all. For example terminator latest sequel there is a big action sequence at the beginning of the movie. The terminator attempts to kill the heroine inside the factory. You have gun shots, heavy punch and kicks along with heavy hammer hitting. Bass was flat and no punch at all. Similarly many scenes lik that. So when I had only one LV12F i placed it in the rear position and played the same scene and bass was excellent. So scenes where ever the LV12F front failed the rear position had excellent bass. So I thought adding another will be excellent. I have successfully calibrated non identical dual subs in my room before but for some reason this model isn’t calibrating.

I am supposed to right the above and you shot it...

However you are particular about keeping dual sub try one ceiling subwoofer plus one in ground or try keep the second subwoofer in a stand and try.
Yeah the thought came in mind and if I got a sealed sub would have been easy to place them in the ceiling. This one is to heavy and would be difficult to place them.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back