A disastrous subwoofer journey

I think its because of the problem in the integration of the subs. Key is to align the subs with less delays and eq as there will be phase issues with too much manipulation which is required for the previous location. Also an impulse response would give a clear pic too. Another reason for the boomy and muddy sound is due to the seating location which is very close to the rear wall.
Yes they are not integrating well with the current position or I am doing something wrong. Either way I gave up and decided to settle with one sub. I have successfully calibrated dual subs before which weren’t even identical but they where without mini dsp. So before I ship the sub for curiosity sake I’ll just try calibrating dual subs connected directly to the avr removing the mini dsp from the chain.

Out of curiosity, what was the function of the mini dsp for the two sub woofers? You answered this earlier but I still don't get the purpose of this considering the receiver already does some form of dsp control for such things.
Honestly; I am not even sure how you got it right the first time around and could not repeat that again. Might be good to make notes (in a book, etc) next time around. Besides that, going back and looking at pictures where all this equipment is placed, it did not seem like an area large enough to warrant two sub woofers so in some ways, maybe a good thing. Atleast you can recover some money versus this being a totally dead investment. It is unfortunate and there is little you can do.

Out of curiosity, what was the function of the mini dsp for the two sub woofers? You answered this earlier but I still don't get the purpose of this considering the receiver already does some form of dsp control for such things.
Honestly; I am not even sure how you got it right the first time around and could not repeat that again. Might be good to make notes (in a book, etc) next time around. Besides that, going back and looking at pictures where all this equipment is placed, it did not seem like an area large enough to warrant two sub woofers so in some ways, maybe a good thing. Atleast you can recover some money versus this being a totally dead investment. It is unfortunate and there is little you can do.
Mini dsp helps in aligning dual or more subs.You can calibrate up to 4 subs using mini dsp which is not possible with avr’s. You can even use avr’s that doesn’t support dual subs and have a dual or quad sub set up using mini dsp with avr’s that support only single sub. The method to align dual subs is different using mini dsp compared to calibration of dual subs using avr. You can also create a house curve using mini dsp. Previously I have calibrated dual subs using avr and it worked well. Yeah good it is not a dead investment and since it was a rythmik it was easy to sell given the reputation they have for their subwoofers

Sorry forgot to answer your question on why I invested in a mini dsp when the avr has individual bass management. With the avr when you complete audyssey it sets two individual delay values for both the sub. Now we need to measure and make sure both the subs are aligned by testing different delay values for both the subs. Once that is completed again you need to experiment different delay values to integrate them with the mains. With a mini dsp you are using only one LFE output from avr. So sub1 output to minidsp input1 and connect both subs to output1 and output2 in the minidsp.So once you complete the integration of the dual subs using mini dsp you will run Audysey in the avr but the avr will be configured for one sub alone. So while integrating with the mains you just need to play with delay values in the avr for sub1 alone. The house curve in the mini dsp also helps us set a target curve which will give great results.

With dual separate dsp subwoofer out in avr, a minidsp is of not much use. The distance in the avr is nothing but delay in the DSP (1ft is roughly ~1ms), parametric eq in the avr will do the eq part. Receivers like denon and marantz along with audyssey eq app for house curve + midrange compensation removal along with distance values in avr, in most cases the mini dsp can be avoided.

With dual separate dsp subwoofer out in avr, a minidsp is of not much use. The distance in the avr is nothing but delay in the DSP (1ft is roughly ~1ms), parametric eq in the avr will do the eq part. Receivers like denon and marantz along with audyssey eq app for house curve + midrange compensation removal along with distance values in avr, in most cases the mini dsp can be avoided.
Well I have even decided no need of a dual sub haha. Already one sub sold and Mini dsp also I will sell. Just going to settle for a single sub.

I understand your frustrations but I reckon you could have gotten it working, I know my method works very well. In any case enjoy the single sub!
Yeah thanks for the suggestions and like you said with more efforts and testing by the ears I am sure I could have gotten it working. I could have also tried different placements. But I took the decision after listening to some music and action sequences in a single sub. I enjoyed the single sub performance and yeah there are many areas bass was missing but rather then busting my ears I decided to start enjoying my system. I am overall happy with the soundstage for both movies and music. Time to make peace with my room limitations and most importantly my ear limitations

With the avr when you complete audyssey it sets two individual delay values for both the sub. Now we need to measure and make sure both the subs are aligned by testing different delay values for both the subs. Once that is completed again you need to experiment different delay values to integrate them with the mains.
Isn't Audyssey supposed to do this for you?
Does this mini dsp allow you to adjust delay values or is this still done on the receiver?
I read about the mini dsp here but still can't understand what it does other than being a digital to analog converter.
How does this mini dsp ace the receiver for a dual sub woofer set up or configuration?
Appreciate the reply.

Isn't Audyssey supposed to do this for you?
Does this mini dsp allow you to adjust delay values or is this still done on the receiver?
I read about the mini dsp here but still can't understand what it does other than being a digital to analog converter.
How does this mini dsp ace the receiver for a dual sub woofer set up or configuration?
Appreciate the reply.
well it’s very difficult to explain in detail why mini dsp is better in a dual sub calibration over the avr but I’ll try. Mini dsp does better job with eq then audyssey. And also you get to apply eq manually over what audyssey sets automatically. With mini dsp you get to create a house curve based on your taste for bass. When you set a house curve the mini dsp combines both the sub and gives a smooth response as show in the image below. This image is from YouTube where one aligns 4 subs. If you see in the image there is a huge boost from 30hz and below.Reason to create a house curve like that is to feel low bass much better. Thump and slam is much better cause the lower the bass,it needs more spl. So you get the option to eq the subs according to ones taste in bass. Either you can choose a flat curve and or set a curve to have more thump in the lower end. Yes avr also sets delays but it’s difficult and time consuming to get the right values since both subs have individual delays. With mini dsp you are using only one sub output from avr so audyssey will set only one delay value for sub. So while integrating with mains it will be very easy to experiment multiple delay values for one sub alone since the dual subs are already calibrated in the mini dsp to be one sub. And the dual sub calibration is done in the mini dsp before audysey using the pure direct curve so there is absolutely no work for audyssey as both subs are already aligned and eqed to be flat and smooth.

Attachments

• 04B390EC-AA47-437F-B3A9-F4C2BFFEA977.jpeg
    04B390EC-AA47-437F-B3A9-F4C2BFFEA977.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 7
The biggest advantage of miniDSP is direct integration with REW Software if one wants to use all its features and do the optimization following measurements and pull it back into miniDSP.
The disadvantage is dual DAC conversion unless the source has a coax input which can then be fed into some models of miniDSP for even more accurate results.

For those using miniDSP for bass management, I would suggest feeding a full signal from source (in this case AVR if bass management can be bypassed for the summation of left n right channels and set to full range).

For those using miniDSP for bass management, I would suggest feeding a full signal from source (in this case AVR if bass management can be bypassed for the summation of left n right channels and set to full range).
But in most minidsp it cannot handle direct signals and expects the signals to be decoded and received.

For a single seat
A single subwoofer kept at the right spot
With some EQ
Will do the job. So if the graph is flat with a single subwoofer there's absolutely no point in placing multiple subs at different spots.

Multiple subwoofers can be stacked together for more power or a bigger sub can be used for more power.

Integrating multiple subs isn't as easy as plug and play..

For a single seat
A single subwoofer kept at the right spot
With some EQ
Will do the job.
Multiple subwoofers can be stacked together for more power or a bigger sub can be used for more power.
Hey Prateek do you think a single 15 inch sealed rythmik sub will be good for my use. Already liking the LV12F a lot. Sharing my room size for reference. I went duals after experimenting different dual subs in my place. No intention of upgrading any time soon but in future if I ever feel the need I would like to experiment a good sealed sub.

Attachments

• F2E7540E-DDE7-40F8-B048-5B25E6991372.jpeg
    F2E7540E-DDE7-40F8-B048-5B25E6991372.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hey Prateek do you think a single 15 inch sealed rythmik sub will be good for my use. Already liking the LV12F a lot. Sharing my room size for reference. I went duals after experimenting different dual subs in my place.
Hi Navin,
I am not an expert but the 15 inch Rythmik may be too big physically and over powering for your room size .
If you are happy with the LVX12 then better to stick with it. Else FVX 12 would be more than enough for your room . I would suggest to stick with the LVX 12 for a year and see how it goes before making any new purchase as you will understand the sub better and know where it is good or lacking.

Hi Navin,
I am not an expert but the 15 inch Rythmik may be too big physically and over powering for your room size .
If you are happy with the LVX12 then better to stick with it. Else FVX 12 would be more than enough for your room . I would suggest to stick with the LVX 12 for a year and see how it goes before making any new purchase as you will understand the sub better and know where it is good or lacking.
Hey Nitin I have the LV12F and not the lvx12. 15 inch sealed rythmik shouldn’t be very big physically for my room. Now that I have concluded no duals I was just curious if a 15 inch sealed will be good.

Hey Nitin I have the LV12F and not the lvx12. 15 inch sealed rythmik shouldn’t be very big physically for my room. Now that I have concluded no duals I was just curious if a 15 inch sealed will be good.
Oh ok, sorry got mixed up with your current sub model no. I think the 15 inch Rythmik FV15HP will be much more bigger and heavier than a PB 2000(my reference for size) which itself is big and heavy. It may be better to go in person and see if it is there with your dealer to get an idea. Believe me , it's not only the dimensions, but the weight also is a very important factor to consider in our later years as you have to be more bothered about your back or running into hernia issues by lifting heavy stuff. Since the room is small, the choice is there to go for a smaller sub.
It's a good decision you have taken to go with just one good sub considering the room size and it's response.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back