A guide to create subtitles for 3D movies

baijuxavior

As you know, normal .srt files will not work for SBS and OU 3D files as subtitles are needed for both the frames. Here is a small guide to create subtitles for SBS and OU 3D movies from .srt files.

Tools you will need

1. Java Runtime Environment

2. BDSup2Sub

3. 3DSubtitler

4. MKVtoolnix

BDSup2Sub.jar is a java file and you need to install JRE to run it. BDSup2Sub and 3DSubtitler don't need installation. MKVtoolnix can be downloaded as an installer or in portable mode.

Step A.

Download the appropriate .srt file for your movie. I prefer Subscene - Passionate about good subtitles

Step B.

2hnqbmd.png

1. Start 3DSubtitler.exe.
  2. Browse to the .SRT file. The output file is usually in the same directory as the .srt file. Specify the path to BDSup2Sub.jar.
  3. Choose the font and font size. I use the default Arial Narrow and a size of 25. Bigger font size should be avoided as they can cause eye irritation.
  4. Select the 3D type.
  5. Select subtitle language.
  6. Set forced status to 'Not forced' otherwise you won't able to disable subtitle during playback.
  7. Choose font color.
  8. Select output format to Blu-Ray sup and size to 1080p or 720p depending on your TV screen.
  9. You can save your preferences by clicking 'Save Settings' for future use.
  10. Press the 'Check Input' button to view the subtitle. Remember, the image of 'cars' is indicative only.
  11. Press the 'Convert' button to create the .SUP subtitle.

Step C.

331hz75.png

Start MKVToolnix (mmg.exe if you are using portable mode) and drag and drop the movie file. You can use MP4 and MKV files. Drag drop the .SUP file and it will appear as S_HDMV/PGS track. Set the language to 'eng' and forced flag to 'No'. Press 'Start Muxing' and after a few minutes you will get your movie embedded with 3D subtitle.

Step D.

SUP is the subtitle format used by Blu-Ray disks and not all players support embedded SUP subtitle. This is where XBMC shines. Remove the .srt file as by default XBMC will use the srt file instead of the embedded subtitle. Play the movie and you can enable or disable the subtitle by pressing 'T'.

Normal subtitle:
2vd1xnb.png

3D subtitle:
34nob3t.png

I found a much simpler tool that creates 3D subtitles in a fraction of a second. http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=47904

Just load the srt file and select the 3D type like SBS or OU (TAB) and the file is converted to .ass format in a second. XBMC plays this format easily and there is no need to remux the files to mkv as in the 3Dsubtitler. Another advantage is that media players like Popcorn hour also supports this format.

XBMC will play the 3D subtitles in .ass format as well as in sup format muxed in mkv container. Place the .ass subtitle file in the same folder as that of the movie. File name should be the same as that of the movie. For SUP subtitle to work, it should be muxed in the mkv container as discussed in first post. Making ass subtitle is much simpler than SUP.

I'm trying to find a way to deal with 3D subtitles that is the most universal.

That is that is not too specific of what unit you are using, so I can keep those files in DVD DL discs.

XBMC will play the 3D subtitles in .ass format as well as in sup format muxed in mkv container. Place the .ass subtitle file in the same folder as that of the movie. File name should be the same as that of the movie. For SUP subtitle to work, it should be muxed in the mkv container as discussed in first post. Making ass subtitle is much simpler than SUP.
thanks for the tip

Hi, I have successfully muxed the subtitles to one of my 3D movies collection following the instructions above. Thanks to baijuxavior. However, I have a small problem here. The subtitles have some unwanted text like <font color=#D900D9"> appearing every now and then. If anybody has any idea how to prevent these texts, I will really appreciate your input. Thank you in advance.

These are used to give color for texts in srt files. You can open the srt file in notepad and remove the lines using search and replace option. A subtitle editor like 'Subtitle Edit' or 'Subtitle Workshop' is recommended for modifying subtitles.

Hello Community

i have some questions regarding the 1st posts, about XBMC, can someone explain me how can i see 3D videos in it, because i dont have that option, i have Frodo version.

Regarding this thread, it isnt working for me, im trying poewrdvd 13 and i get nothing

any help will be apreciated my friends

Thank You in advance

XBMC gotham has some basic 3d supports like 3d subtitles for sbs/ou movies. Download the nightly version from xbmc website.

XBMC gotham has some basic 3d supports like 3d subtitles for sbs/ou movies. Download the nightly version from xbmc website.

can you link me my friend, the frodo version has the ability to manually in our tv change to 3D, the TV detects it, but no 3D options...

Thank You In Advance My Friend

Wouldn't ****in' hurt to say you have to use the bdsup2sub INCLUDED with 3Dsubtitler and not the newest version....:mad:

I've made just like you said but I have few prolems. When I try muxing it doesn't drag and drop only like on your picture in the second window but in both and apears not S_HDMV/PGS(ID 2, subtitles) but only PGS(ID 0, subtitles) and the subtitles are not shown in the film. I'm trying to play the movie on LG 3d TV. Please answer.

Which player are you using? If it is the built-in player of the TV then check if it supports muxed subtitles.

I'm using Samsung UE46F6740SB built-in player and as I found out yesterday, the TV actually supports .idx + .sub, which is new to me, because when I tried it out a month ago - it did not work!
Actually, there's a small hiccup - I set up the subtitles to be yellow with black borders (works on PC), but in TV they're white with grey border.

However I'm still having problems getting the 3D subtitles to work, they're on the sides - yes, that's good. However when I switch my TV to 3D mode - subtitles stay the same, they're on the sides. It's like it's adding those subs at last. So, I don't know. I'm searching all over the Inter and don't know, what to do.

Would anybody be so kind to help me?

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back