A Hotter Future Is Certain, but How Hot Is Up to Us.

Analogous

A Hotter Future Is Certain, Climate Panel Warns. But How Hot Is Up to Us.​

Some devastating impacts of global warming are now unavoidable, a major new scientific report finds. But there is still a short window to stop things from getting even worse. The IPCC 2021 report, approved by 195 governments and based on more than 14,000 studies, is the most comprehensive summary to date of the physical science of climate change. The 10 biggest emitters of greenhouse gases are China, the United States, the European Union, India, Russia, Japan, Brazil, Indonesia, Iran and Canada.

The new report leaves no doubt that humans are responsible for global warming, concluding that essentially all of the rise in global average temperatures since the 19th century has been driven by nations burning fossil fuels, clearing forests and loading the atmosphere with greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide and methane that trap heat.
Time to rethink that class A amp and more such?

How many of us are moving to Class D immediately to support the future? :p
Once the room gets too hot?
But on a serious note, I feel it’s a wake up call for us as a species. Our proliferation, our science, our lifestyle, our aspiration, plunder greed, wars and daily behaviour has devastated land, oceans and air. The signs are clear.
Most of us will probably not be alive or will be ripe by the time it becomes too hot (in many ways)
The coming generations will not be kind when they think about us.
I believe we can and make tough personal choices, now to mitigate the effects a little. But a significant proportion of rich and middle class humans need to act fast.
Sorry, it’s gloomy…

Once the room gets too hot?
But on a serious note, I feel it’s a wake up call for us as a species. Our proliferation, our science, our lifestyle, our aspiration, plunder greed, wars and daily behaviour has devastated land, oceans and air. The signs are clear.
Most of us will probably not be alive or will be ripe by the time it becomes too hot (in many ways)
I believe we can and make tough personal choices, now to mitigate the effects a little. But a significant proportion of rich and middle class humans need to act fast.
Sorry, it’s gloomy…
Agreed! The options are available too and are being adopted in many places - but clearly are not enough. From renewable energy to recycling waste. The world needs to literally come together for this one and put the right things in motion. BTW - all of you in Bombay can check out "Restore - www.joinrestore.earth/" - for your little bit to stop some plastic from going in to the ocean. Also check what's happening on the mycelium front as a substitute for single use plastic.

Last edited:
Agreed! The options are available too and are being adopted in many places - but clearly are not enough. From renewable energy to recycling waste. The world needs to literally come together for this one and put the right things in motion. BTW - all of you in Bombay can check out "Restore - www.joinrestore.earth/" - for your little bit to stop some plastic from going in to the ocean. Also check what's happening on the mycelium front as a substitute for single use plastic.
We still dont know what is truly sustainable. electric vehicles create even another set of problems environmental problems
food itself is an issue. Animal and plant sources both harm the environment and so on. may take us another 10-15 years to figure out what is truly ok for us !

We have lived 2.5M years on earth with life itself 500M or more..the last 80 years is where we have unleashed all problems, am sure we can fix it in one generation as long as we accept there is a problem !

Last edited:
While this is all very idealistic and very good to read and hear, we few can do nothing. Very good to read here and support the environment here on the Internet.
This job should be the job of Governments around the world. They can change things, they have the power, they have the resources, they have the brains to do it. A single person, or a few people, even thousands, lets say even lakhs of people wont be able to do the job unless the governments intervene and do something for the environment besides just talks.
And before anyone can chime here and say, a single person makes all the difference and all those talks, no. A single person doesnt make a difference. Its the Government of our country that can make a difference if they are willing to do it and i can say they are not willing to do it.

I live in a heavily industrialized area, lots of air and water pollution and most of the companies with effluent discharge work in conjunction with the authorities to discharge the waste illegally. Its never going to stop unless the govt is willing to do so. So while we talk here about switching to electric or whatever, all these talks become moot if the govt doesnt want something to change.

I can't imagine the Irony of Being Forced to Find Another Habitable Planet in the Universe,
And everyone being forced to Relocate AS SOON AS POSSIBLE...

And on the New Planet ; Playing MJs 'Earth Song' In 85db speakers with 200wpc Class A Amplifier...(Sarcasm/Pun intended)
;)
Our proliferation, our science, our lifestyle, our aspiration, plunder greed, wars and daily behaviour has devastated land, oceans and air. The signs are clear.

While this is all very idealistic and very good to read and hear, we few can do nothing. Very good to read here and support the environment here on the Internet.
This job should be the job of Governments around the world. They can change things, they have the power, they have the resources, they have the brains to do it. A single person, or a few people, even thousands, lets say even lakhs of people wont be able to do the job unless the governments intervene and do something for the environment besides just talks.
And before anyone can chime here and say, a single person makes all the difference and all those talks, no. A single person doesnt make a difference. Its the Government of our country that can make a difference if they are willing to do it and i can say they are not willing to do it.

I live in a heavily industrialized area, lots of air and water pollution and most of the companies with effluent discharge work in conjunction with the authorities to discharge the waste illegally. Its never going to stop unless the govt is willing to do so. So while we talk here about switching to electric or whatever, all these talks become moot if the govt doesnt want something to change.
With all respect I feel the approach of expecting Governments to solve the problem by themselves is futile. Yes they have a role to play, a big one. But we can help governments do more. We put governments in positions of power to “govern”

Starting with demanding visionary leadership that uses science and evidence to make enabling situations for people to adopt climate friendly behaviours and discourage behaviours that damage our shared environment.

This issue more than anything else demonstrates that climate, environment and ecosystems have no national boundaries. Like COVID-19 it does not discriminate between rich, poor, caste, religion, gender, nationality etc.

But as people living in nation states we can act nationally, locally and personally. If enough of us start acting and talking this way without letting it become divisive then I am sure Politicians will feel safe to make bold far reaching decisions.

But first I know I need to understand the choices before me in reducing my carbon footprint, make my consumption more sustainable, pollute less, travel less, produce less waste, reuse, recycle more etc etc.

As one of the greatest human beings said “be the change you want”

I think there is enough leadership among FMs to take the initiative and start acting, setting examples, educating others, demanding more from the government and more. After all being an audiophiles itself is uncommon and rare….

Last edited:
With all respect I feel the approach of expecting Governments to solve the problem by themselves is futile. Yes they have a role to play, a big one. But we can help governments do more. We put governments in positions of power to “govern”

Starting with demanding visionary leadership that uses science and evidence to make enabling situations for people to adopt climate friendly behaviours and discourage behaviours that damage our shared environment.

This issue more than anything else demonstrates that climate, environment and ecosystems have no national boundaries. Like COVID-19 it does not discriminate between rich, poor, caste, religion, gender, nationality etc.

But as people living in nation states we can act nationally, locally and personally. If enough of us start acting and talking this way without letting it become divisive then I am sure Politicians will feel safe to make bold far reaching decisions.

But first I know I need to understand the choices before me in reducing my carbon footprint, make my consumption more sustainable, pollute less, travel less, produce less waste, reuse, recycle more etc etc.

As one of the greatest human beings said “be the change you want”

I think there is enough leadership among FMs to take the initiative and start acting, setting examples, educating others, demanding more from the government and more. After all being an audiophiles itself is uncommon and rare….
Completely agree

When it comes to such large issues from cleanliness, civic sense to climate change it is we who make the difference. Govt is made of politicians who will do anything for a vote and if we as vote givers and a majority have that intent, the politicians will do just that and hence govt will make a policy

It may not work the other way

The choices before us are pretty clear.
Take responsibility and demonstrate initiative and leadership in our own ways
Or
Wait for someone else to do something and follow willingly or be forced to follow.
Or
(god forbid) remain a climate change denier/sceptic (it’s a western or rich countries conspiracy)

The choices before us are pretty clear.
Take responsibility and demonstrate initiative and leadership in our own ways
Or
Wait for someone else to do something and follow willingly or be forced to follow.
Or
(god forbid) remain a climate change denier/sceptic (it’s a western or rich countries conspiracy)
Absolutely - everyone can contribute in their own small little ways - a very simple step - stop buying coke, pepsi, bisleri, stop buying groceries that come in plastic packaging. A lot of us can afford do that. Something so small, which is totally in our control!

@arj - I have a very strong urge to "merge" your post #5 & 6. :p

So why not post in here what we are doing to either save the planet or destroy it. Say, on a weekly basis.

If am not clear, let me start with me.

This week,

The good:

I use a class D amp.

My son is told to off lights and fan when ever he leaves the room.

The bad:

I drive to work for 40 Km (to and fro) alone in my car.

I turn the AC on sometimes even when I can manage the weather just so that I can turn off the fan noise and listen to the music with the AC on. (less noise)

No planned use of Geyser. Every body at home does their own thing.

What I could do to improve:

Use less AC.
Better planning with heating devices to use less electricity.

Um, not yet ready to give up the comforts of my car.

What we can do (a start)
  1. Speak up! ...
  2. Power your home with renewable energy. ...
  3. Weatherize, weatherize, weatherize. ...
  4. Invest in energy-efficient appliances. ...
  5. Reduce water waste. ...
  6. Actually eat the food you buy—and make less of it meat. ...
  7. Buy better bulbs. ...
  8. Pull the plug(s)
A longer list: https://archive.curbed.com/2017/6/7/15749900/how-to-stop-climate-change-actions

Some Indian Environmental Organizations

Last edited:
A few more that we do to help that came to mind after reading the above.

1. LED - Check
2. Conserve water - Check. My wife is more climate conscious than I am, so she is very particular about electricity and water.
3. Solar - Unfortunately not possible in our apartment.
4. We don't buy any device not rated energy efficient.
5. All electronic equipment is off when not in use. (More due to the fear of surge and destruction of equipment rather than energy conversation but it helps)
6. Composting is being taken seriously in our area.
7. We always carry our shopping bags.
8. Ride the bus: ha, with corona around, easier said than done.
9. Don't idle your engine. Am guilty. I might have to look into this.
10. Work from home can be such a big energy saver but my company is still to get into it. I can do upto 90% of the things that I do at the office from home and in a much better way as there is much lessor interruptions associated with an office environment. (I have a private VPN provided by my office connecting me from my home to my desktop computer and the servers at my office). Unfortunate.

Just a few that come to mind. Climate change is a very serious threat. We don't want our children and grandchildren to face the consequences because we were not vigilant during our time.

Last edited:
In and around our colony with the help of school children and college students we have planted more than 500 saplings . Nearly half of that has already grown more then 6 feet, in another 5-10 years , our colony will be more greener then before. Few of us are also into terrace gardening. This has helped me ( us) to overcome difficult times during Covid.
Many , maynot be able to come out of comfort zone, but we can compensate that by planting more trees. Just one tree in front of your beautiful home will make all the difference.

I remember an advt from GAIL, when most institutions advised us against plastics, which said "say yes to plastics ... below they showed bottom trunk of trees, because of deforestation". Think of it, what can we do? Both opinions were correct. Decision making is too tough. Firepower makers want to sell their ammunition, want countries always to engage in war. Who is thinking of next generation?

We don't buy any device not rated energy efficient.
There is a downside to it which not many know. Highly efficient device will die early, you need to buy another one too quickly.

All electronic equipment is off when not in use.
:cool: My recent purchase of RT3 wants me to keep it on Standby for full day, just to make it run properly!

Work from home can be such a big energy saver but my company is still to get into it
May be multinationals allow, but what about the Lala Groups? They want you to attend office, sit late, and come right time next day!

We don't want our children and grandchildren to face the consequences because we were not vigilant during our time.
Everyone saw while in lockdown: nature is at its best when humans don't venture out. But what happened just after? Same crowds, same traffic jams ... no lessons learnt!
Govt distributed CFLs without knowing it had mercury, all that dumped poisoning the earth. Everyone seeks easy solutions, knowing fully well "there is no free lunch"
Reduce water waste
Saw many videos of Japanese connecting wash basins to flush tanks ... no one interested. No one forces service stations to reuse water. Very difficult to inculcate good practices.
When it comes to such large issues from cleanliness, civic sense to climate change it is we who make the difference. Govt is made of politicians who will do anything for a vote and if we as vote givers and a majority have that intent, the politicians will do just that and hence govt will make a policy
A few years ago, a politician opined "if we bring good values, people won't swallow, overturn our government! Why should ... ?"
... they have the brains
Sorry to say they don't. Today's governments simply do copy paste, not doing any localized efforts to get to the root cause. 2 stroke causing pollution ... produce 4 stroke, still pollution ... use Fuel Injection even for 100 cc bikes, what a mess? Why no check on fuel adulteration? Keep headlights On, for no obvious benefit.

Why no pollution check for aviation sector?

Last edited by a moderator:
A real life example, Calcutta/Kolkata is bearing the brunt of changing climate. The intensity of rains in a short period of time is never before seen, people living in ground floors of old buildings are actively almost abandoning their home for literally centuries because they are forced to. So climate change is a reality for everyone to see. I wrote this just to set the stage. Now in such a circumstance, the basement parking of my apartment flooded completely twice within 2 weeks and caused damages to the parked vehicles there. Then....oh then, there is a whatsapp group of apartment owners, one person brought up the possibility of rain water harvesting and conducting a study whether it was feasible for us. Guess how many replies that comment received? Yes, you guessed it right, none.

So the government can do a whole lot but we can do much more and we have done so far next to nothing.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back