A love story ...

weather your ears detect the difference in music because of the cables - depends on the resolving power of the system ( more specifically the pre-amp ) and the ability of your ears to detect.

I do detect changes in my rig whenever i have tried it and i dont think its placebo but things like speaker cables can be thought about as something like fine tuning and not as something that basically defines the music coming out of the system.

regards

Please share some pics of the speakers if you can.
Sure. I am planning that to post tomorrow.

I presume they come with scanspeak drivers?

Yes, you are right Satya. Siva mentioned that he will try Seas and Scanspeak, and after testing he recommended Scanspeak
(in no way I am implying here that Seas is bad, Scanspeak drivers just suited my case.)

Thanks
Auro

A great love affair now entering married life [emoji2] .
Great to see another lover of the AP sound.
Had I known of AP while Siva was still making the reference setup complete with the speakers, I would probably have gone with AP.
Cables do make a difference. Try them out.

Congratulations, aurobindosaha! Your anticipation and your joy come out beautifully from your posts. Brought tears to my eyes :)

Do post pics when you can. Enjoy the music!

and the outcome ?? :D:D

Thankfully for me, my wife has been so very supportive.
In my first post, where I said I went to some of speaker auditions in USA (during our stay there in 2004-2006), she accompanied me to many such auditions.

In fact this new set-up is a long promised gift from her.

Only this time, I had to audition the speakers alone. Since last November, I stay alone in Bangalore. My family is in Kolkata and waiting for next school session to get my family shifted here. So, temporarily, I have advantage to devote time to music listening at my will :yahoo:

Thanks,
Auro

Had I known of AP while Siva was still making the reference setup complete with the speakers, I would probably have gone with AP.

wow.... thats something.. coming from a Rethm owner..

what of Rethm is causing you to say this ?

regards

Very well written Auro. It is heartening to hear your story as you are currently the few who are enjoying what needs to be enjoyed(music) rather than the equipment itself. Good luck and may you continue to do so whilst avoiding the pit falls of this hobby.

wow.... thats something.. coming from a Rethm owner..

what of Rethm is causing you to say this ?

regards

No, no, nothing about the Rethms caused me to say this. Because then that would have been before Rethm happened. Things have ended up in my favour definitely :eek:hyeah:

Lovely pics Auro, which camera used to click these pics?

Thanks JayaRaa

Nikon D7000.
Some are clicked with Wide-Angle Lens Tokina 11-16. I also have used Nikon 50mm prime lens and Nikon 18-105 zoom lense.

I think I should get my gears out and head to mountains for photography :) Nandi hill is not far from my home.

Hi,

Need your advice about speaker placement.

The reason I have clicked pictures (https://goo.gl/photos/wXyLnCH9i2nF7nn57) of the room from different angles, is because I was thinking what will a good position for the speakers. Options are limited.

The room size is about 40 ft X 15 ft

Placed the speaker about 1 ft from wall ... as per Siva - 3 feet distance from rear wall is recommended. On the first day I set it up, it was half feet from wall, I heard tabla booms (muddy sound) so I moved it further form wall .... its OK now. I saw Siva placed a foam like material in the back wall to minimise reflection from back side. What do you think, in my case will it make considerable improvement?

Siva was mentioning the reflection side wall is more damaging for M-T-M designs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer).
MTM_lobe.gif

In my case I do not have that reflection, since my balcony door is generally left open (note the left speaker in the picture) and the right one anyway is placed in the middle of the room (about 20 ft distance from both side)

The sofa is adsorbing some sound I believe .... but these are leather .... fabric sofa would have absorbed it better.

Another precaution point - I think I should put a plastic separator between the red and black banana plugs both in speaker side and in amp side. Its for safety. I vaguely remember, i saw Raghu did something like that. Do you agree?

I am planning to post a video of a music playing in these speakers. Let me know which track you like to hear. My camera records HD audio, but may not be the accurate representation of what I am hearing.

Thanks
Auro

I would like to add two more points -

1. The Spikes have covers, which Siva said is not yet ready. Will collect those from him soon

2. Please note that I have a picture of wood on speaker top. That is to show you how intricate is the craftmanship. There are joins between the bevel and the box - and I can not differentiate the line even after touching. This is one of the best finishing work in speaker I have seen. I have been told by Siva and Jeya that she spent days getting the right material for the wood work. There are 5 layers of material and its far thicker than the ones commercially available. The analogy Siva gave of placing good drivers and not putting attention to the box is like putting a Ferrari engine in Maruti 800. It will just not work well. All the components needs to be balanced from construction standpoint. In fact building speakers is an art as well as science. ....... some of these were our discussions that evening.

measure the width (shorter side) of your room . take 1/5th of it, place the speaker such that this 1/5th distance is the distance from the front of the speaker to the back wall. ( i you have toed it then take the corner which is nearest to the listening distance.
Prem gave me this tip and it worked great for me. ideally its 1/3 but thats difficult

Ideally your setup shuld be on the short wall and firing into the long side but that is usually not practical. see if you can have the TV facing the Window and deep into the room with the speakers placed at exactly 1/3 the width of the room ..at least till your family gets here !

Need your advice about speaker placement.
<snip>
The room size is about 40 ft X 15 ft.
all, I heard tabla booms (muddy sound) so I moved it further form wall .... its OK now. I saw Siva placed a foam like material in the back wall to minimise reflection from back side. What do you think, in my case will it make considerable improvement?<snip>
In my case I do not have that reflection, since my balcony door is generally left open (note the left speaker in the picture) and the right one anyway is placed in the middle of the room (about 20 ft distance from both side)

The sofa is adsorbing some sound I believe .... but these are leather .... fabric sofa would have absorbed it better.

Interesting.

Because I see you standing on the top of the same steep slippery slope I stood on, not too long ago :)

Full gory details (and my solution) on my thread in hfv.

Try the audiobeat method. it will help - takes the guess work out, the best you can without measuring. It cannot mitigate.

Look at this thread. I do use the "Now if you were to use a tape, calibrated audio string and a 5mw green laser (all strongly recommended) you should get away with a laugh and a snigger or two".

The side reflections (a/k/a) early reflections will ruin your imaging. Sadly in listening on the short side

Then there is comb filtering "Because of comb filtering, moving even a tiny distance changes the response by a very large amount at mid and high frequencies. Especially in small rooms having no acoustic treatment at the first reflection points. The response at any given cubic inch location in a room is the sum of the direct sound from the speakers plus many competing reflections arriving from many different directions. So unless you strap yourself into a chair and clamp your head in a vise, there's no way the sound will not change dramatically when you move even one inch."

Let me emphasize these are not "perceptions" you can measure and confirm what you hear.

I will re-read your post. Meanwhile all hope is not lost.

see esp this one, to define a goal

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/61250-effects-speaker-placement-room-treatment-4.html#post680136

ciao
gr

Excellent room arrangement congrats for the new hifi choice Make in India.In between I can see a dent on the tweeter of left side speaker.May be coz of the image angle ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back