A love story ...

Nice setup and ambience.

Based on personal experience though before starting with room treatment, start with an empty room. Preferably a room dedicated to music with no furniture, furnishings, etc. If that is an option for you. Its easier to treat a such a room, and a minimalist room setup goes a long way in getting the best acoustics.

Excellent room arrangement congrats for the new hifi choice Make in India.In between I can see a dent on the tweeter of left side speaker.May be coz of the image angle ?

Checked the twitter. Found no dent. I think its the way pic was captured. I was tensed for a while :)

Is this the same speaker build as that of gvenu? Have you heard his setup?

Not sure the model gvenu has. This one is MS-610

Nice setup and ambience.

Based on personal experience though before starting with room treatment, start with an empty room. Preferably a room dedicated to music with no furniture, furnishings, etc. If that is an option for you. Its easier to treat a such a room, and a minimalist room setup goes a long way in getting the best acoustics.
Thanks for the appreciation. I do not have a room like that in Bangalore. May have some spare rooms in Kolkata. Will try that after I retire and go back to Kolkata at age of 60 :lol:

Thanks for the appreciation. I do not have a room like that in Bangalore. May have some spare rooms in Kolkata. Will try that after I retire and go back to Kolkata at age of 60 :lol:

That's true for most of us. But think outside the box and maybe use a corner without much furniture or wall hangings/TV, etc. Even I don't have a dedicated room, but I still have (to the best of my ability) a minimalistic room... just one chair, a rack for the AVR and stereo receiver, another tall rack for CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays, and one foldable table that is used for some light work/browsing or quickly folded and put away when not needed. Most of the time folks have a ton of wall hangings, trinkets, vases, wind chimes, etc. and then want to treat the room. Even my source (NAS) is in another room.

If that is not possible then do consider s/w based room correction. I've used Genelec room correction in the past and it had a huge impact on the SQ. Dirac Digital Room Correction is a good place to start, give the trial version a go. At least you can either immediately hear a difference or not.

aurobindosaha, Congrats on the AP speakers and amp. Here s to many, many hours of beautiful music! I too use AP gear and its been a great experience.

Naturelover, i believe what the OP has is Vifa based speakers (Corrson branded). I have the same. What Gvenu has is Scanspeak based MTM floor standers.

aurobindosaha, Congrats on the AP speakers and amp. Here s to many, many hours of beautiful music! I too use AP gear and its been a great experience.
Thank you.
Naturelover, i believe what the OP has is Vifa based speakers (Corrson branded). I have the same. What Gvenu has is Scanspeak based MTM floor standers.
I may be wrong, but I guess in my case following are used -

Dirac Digital Room Correction is a good place to start, give the trial version a go. At least you can either immediately hear a difference or not.

+1. And I have already voted with my wallet.

You will need to have a calibrated mic. so source (ie B/B/B/S) one before you start a trial.

And let me point out DRC is not intended to be a substitute for room treatment. However there is no "liveable with" room treatment for low bass (thickness would need to be 1/4th x lowest wavelength you are trying to kill). Both methods work together.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Hi,

Need your advice about speaker placement.

lmBHA6gAOAHxnx--3Tu-uo_zTwpcpLlSDa0SbWFNSEd2hBZgbsBJk3ZsLDtTH877ZGqNvKKEXFEq=w1183-h783-no

Aurobindo welcome to the AP club!

I noticed that you had placed the speakers with the tweeters on the outside as per the picture above.
I would suggest you try interchanging left and right speakers so that the tweeters are on the inside.
You might benefit with a better sound stage.

I would also suggest trying some toe in - angle them in towards your seating position.
Again this gives a sharper more well defined sound stage.

You have a beautiful room. Looks like a great place to enjoy some great sound.

Aurobindo welcome to the AP club!

Thank you so much

I noticed that you had placed the speakers with the tweeters on the outside as per the picture above.
I would suggest you try interchanging left and right speakers so that the tweeters are on the inside.
You might benefit with a better sound stage.
Good advice. I will do that.

I would also suggest trying some toe in - angle them in towards your seating position.
Again this gives a sharper more well defined sound stage.
Good observation. And good advice. Thank you. I will do that too.

You have a beautiful room. Looks like a great place to enjoy some great sound.
Thank you so much.

Thanks
Auro

Hi

Now its some weeks I have been playing Acoustic Portrait MS-610, I am loving it more and more every day. Spending about 2 hours daily listening to different type of music. I am yet to buy the DAC and awaiting for the AP Raspberry Pi DAC to come out.

If some of you like to see Acoustic Portrait MS 610 in action, here's a link to youtube. Kindly check this video to get the idea about my room set up, because I have some questions mentioned below in this post.
https://youtu.be/oQPgipf-xus

A mobile phone video capture and youtube content compression does not give right representation of these wonderful speakers. Also my room windows are shut which added echo. In reality these speakers sound way better than what you hear through YouTube.

I am also posting some pictures.

Manufacturer Corrson Bangalore India
Model Monitor Series - 610
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms
Max Power 170 watts
Sensitivity 89 db
IMG_20160925_151603.jpg

I am not hundred 100%, but visually it appears that I have the following drivers/twitters.
Midwoofer 18W/4434G00 Midwoofer Scan-Speak A/S
Twitter D2604/833000 Tweeter Scan-Speak A/S
IMG_20160925_151657.jpg

Some of you asked if the twitter has dents. I checked, no dents. But the wooden circle on which the twitter sits has some gaps between twitter rim and the casing. I guess that is the compromise between handcrafted speakers and machine cut speaker cabinet.
IMG_20160925_171945.jpg

I am sure DAC will add a different level of listening experience to these music. But till I get one, I am quite satisfied with what I am hearing.

Room Set Up. I have tried to incorporate many of the suggestion that forum members have advised. Toed in both speakers, ensured twitter on the inner side for sound-stage, etc. Thank you for that. Moving the speakers further from back wall really made a difference.

Do you have further advice on room-setup/speaker placement etc?

Now I have -

• 2.5 feet distance from back wall.

• The speakers are 7 feet distance between them.

• Each speaker is 9 feet from my listening position.

• The leather sofa on either side and in front of speakers may provide some cushioning from sound reflection.

• No foam on back side, I doubt, do I need one?

• The wooden center table has a drawer, thus makes vibrations from hollow box hollow, hence I packed it tight with cushions and got rid of the issue.

• Curtains on left side may be absorbing some sound and preventing reflection, but these are thin fabric. I have plans for thicker fabric curtain.

• On Right side there are no obstructions.

• Tried keeping the speakers along the length of the room, but its very impractical, hence changed back the set up how it was.
IMG_20160925_150904.jpg

• buying a shaggy carpet is in my wishlist

The banana plugs - I have separated by bending a piece of plastic sheet, so that accidentally red and black end do not touch. Is this the right method for keeping the plugs safely separated?
IMG_20160925_151636.jpg

Please let me know if you have questions. I will be happy to answer, if I know the answer :).

Thanks
Auro

Auro, some humble suggestions from me.

1) place a carpet in the area in front of the speakers, which should ideally cover the dimension around the side sofa chairs & coffee table in centre.

2) try to move out the side sofa chairs little away from speaker drivers, you can try little by little to see how much difference it makes.

3) there is no need to put anything between the 2 banana plugs, as there is possibility of banana tips touching only when removing from speaker terminals, during which time you will ensure to do so whilst amp is switched off and removing each banana one after the other.

4) thicker curtain material will certainly absorb more reflections. you will see the results once done.

5) you can try putting pieces of foam into bass port but it will alter the bass, so if you have to place speakers closer to rear wall, then you can try doing this to avoid bass boom. again it is all depending on what you like/dislike and with regard to placement distance from rear wall. your ears will guide you best in this matter as well or if madam dictates!

PS: It is called a tweeter not twitter.

Regards

Last edited:
Auro, some humble suggestions from me.

1) place a carpet in the area in front of the speakers, which should ideally cover the dimension around the side sofa chairs & coffee table in centre.

2) try to move out the side sofa chairs little away from speaker drivers, you can try little by little to see how much difference it makes.

3) there is no need to put anything between the 2 banana plugs, as there is possibility of banana tips touching only when removing from speaker terminals, during which time you will ensure to do so whilst amp is switched off and removing each banana one after the other.

4) thicker curtain material will certainly absorb more reflections. you will see the results once done.

5) you can try putting pieces of foam into bass port but it will alter the bass, so if you have to place speakers closer to rear wall, then you can try doing this to avoid bass boom. again it is all depending on what you like/dislike and with regard to placement distance from rear wall. your ears will guide you best in this matter as well or if madam dictates!

PS: It is called a tweeter not twitter.

Regards

Hi JayaRaa

I appreciate your reply.

1. Yes, carpet is in my wish list.
2. Moving side sofa chairs ... Good point ... I will try to make more room for sound to spread
3. I do household work while playing the music. I am afraid while I broom or sweep the floor, if the leads come out of socket and touch each other, it may damage the speaker or amp. By the way what damage actually will happen in such case ... Just curious
4. Heavy Curtains .. surely that I will get. But I like the translucent light through my current curtain. It creates a very calm ambience. May be i will put dual curtains
5. Foam .... This i may skip. I like the amount of bass now, and do not want to change it.

Tweeter .... Not Twitter... Lesson learnt. Thank you for correcting me :)

And thank you so much for detailed suggestions.

Cheers
Auro

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

i think you should get the DAC and then fine tune..

leave it as it is - if you are happy with the sound ( ie nothing majorly wrong ).

Dont think too much about vibrations and stuffing the table drawers with stuff..because there is no end to it.

Introduction of a different / another component changes the synergy and therefore the room interaction.

It will save you from making adjustments twice..

ofcourse... its upto you ultimately..

regards

Hi,

Yesterday I have got the Acoustic Portrait Pi3 DAC.
I have posted my first impression and some facts of the DAC in another post in DAC forum.

That completes my set up.

• Source - 16 GB Solid State pen drive
  • DAC - Acoustic Potrait Swara M2rPi
  • Amplifier - Acoustic Potrait Swara Solid State Integrated Amp
  • Speakers - Corrson Monitor Series MS-610 Floor Standing two way speakers
  • Speaker Cable - Acoustic Potrait Thallam Audio Cables
  • Interconnect - DAC ARX01A

I may need to get a carpet, and a sound absorbing foam hidden behind a Madhubani painting for the back wall. But that will be later.

Thank you all for your interest to read this thread.
I enjoyed writing this.... as much as you enjoyed reading this thread.

Now its time to enjoy music ... :)

Music.jpg

Thanks
Auro

Congratulations once again Auro!

You have taken a lot of care to select your components.
Now it is time to sit back and enjoy your setup.

There will always be things you can add but don't get bothered by them all.

Enjoy!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back