A Monitor cum TV question

I know it has been over a year now and technologies have changed. I wanted to see if I can pick up a touch screen that I can use with my HTPC, but my wife has been harassing me to throw away the aged CRT monitor I have and go for a LCD monitor. Since I am building my HTPC, I had a number of requirements in mind.

This trip to Dubai was a good opportunity for me. I spent a lot of time visiting computer shops, but came away disappointed. FullHD monitors do not seem to be popular. Though there were monitors from 400 odd DHS onwards, none of them seemed attractive. I was on the verge of buying an LG 22 incher at 700 HDS when my son said, 'Appa, please check the Net'. So that night I checked a few sites and realised that Samsung was ruling the roost. Their model called 2370 was extremely popular. This is the new ultra thin model with 2 ms response, 50,000:1 contrast, 16:9 aspect ratio compatible and all that. They have two models - one with just DVI input, and the other with DVI, HDMI, and VGA inputs. Unfortunately neither of these versions were available anywhere in Dubai. The Samsung showroom had a model on display but they had no idea of the price and none to deliver.

While looking around in the showroom, I came across another Samsung model - the P2450H. This is a 24 inch model with slightly better specs, but not ultra thin. As usual the shop floor assistants had no idea and kept blinking at me. My son and I harassed the guys to show us the spec sheets and realised the only difference was that the 2450 was not ultra thin. We also requested the assistant ( a Korean who thought he was smart but really blinked at our questions ) to keep the 2370 and 2450 side by side and play the same images. We watched for about ten minutes. The 2450 has certainly better colours, slightly brighter images, and seemed smoother in motion. And of course, the additional one inch.

So I plonked down roughly 1100 DHS and got myself a FullHD 24 inch monitor - the Samsung P2450H. We brought it home in Dubai and connected the Sharp Blu-Ray and played The Bourne Identity. My son had the monitor on his lap, and said, 'Hey, this is a nice way of seeing a movie! On your lap, with a pair of headphones.' One more way for all of us to get even more lazy.

The images were great and motion had no artefacts and no blurs. I was able to carry it by hand through the great Chennai customs, who did not even give it a second look. One of the security officers mistook it for a TV and asked me the price. I told him it was a computer monitor and he thought I was half mad or something. I am going to spend the afternoon watching a m4v version of the Dark Knight, with a pair of headphones. :)

SyncMaster 24" widescreen monitor P2450H - art series - monitors | SAMSUNG

Samsung SYNCMASTER P2450H 24 WIDE TFT SCREEN (2 MS) buy at the cheapest price, best deals, online shop - Ireland

I thank all the members who participated in this thread and helped me take what I think is a good decision.

Cheers

Last edited:
Dell was not very popular in Dubai. Even the Dell showroom was pushing laptops and not monitors. And I think they are more expensive.

I do not play any games on the PC, and I felt the capabilities of the Samsung was enough for my requirements - basic usage of the PC for HTPC, some surfing, etc.

Cheers

Dell was not very popular in Dubai. Even the Dell showroom was pushing laptops and not monitors. And I think they are more expensive.

I do not play any games on the PC, and I felt the capabilities of the Samsung was enough for my requirements - basic usage of the PC for HTPC, some surfing, etc.

Cheers

well I think they are 2to3k more than Samy.

How much is 1100 DH? Looks expensive to me ...

Dell can be had a hefty discount if you get an employee to purchase for you :)
Pssst! its a secret .. :)

Cheers

How much is 1100 DH? Looks expensive to me ...Cheers

1100 DHS works out to roughly 14,300 INR. I think it is reasonable price for a 24incher.

Dell also has a policy of not allowing anyone other than Intel and Microsoft to make any money off them. This is often stated objective of Michael Dell.

Cheers

The rough prices I could find for Dell in India are as follows:

* Dell SE178WFP 17? LCD Monitor 8400/-
* Dell SE198WFP 19? LCD Monitor 9700/-
* Dell SE2008WFP 20? LCD Monitor 14650/-
* Dell SP2208WFP 22? LCD Monitor 16800/-

For Samsung:

* Samsung 540n 15? LCD Monitor 7700/-
* Samsung 732n 17? LCD Monitor 8800/-
* Samsung 740n 17? LCD Monitor 9050/-
* Samsung 732nw 17? LCD Monitor 8500/-
* Samsung 743nx 17? LCD Monitor 9150/-
* Samsung 920nw 19? LCD Monitor 8950/-
* Samsung 943nwx 19? LCD Monitor 9600/-
* Samsung 932nw 19? LCD Monitor 10,200/-
* Samsung 2043nwx 20? LCD Monitor 12300/-
* Samsung 2243nwx 15? LCD Monitor 15600/-

So I think 14K for a 24 inch is quite all right.

Cheers

1100 DHS works out to roughly 14,300 INR. I think it is reasonable price for a 24incher.

Dell also has a policy of not allowing anyone other than Intel and Microsoft to make any money off them. This is often stated objective of Michael Dell.

Cheers

Great Price!! How much is it sold for in India or equivalent models?

I got my dell 2048wfp at a *hefty* discount (read fair price) this way.

It has hdmi, displayport, 2 dvi-d, component-in, composite in, s-video-in, mmc/sd card reader, 2 usb ports, one usb hub connection with IPS/S-PVA panel giving 170 degree viewing angle.

Thats the best choice I found for TV/Monitor combo :D

Cheers

Spiro, the Dell U2410 seems to be for people who take gaming seriously or undertake high end graphics processing such as CAD/CAM, etc. In any case 27.5K is too much for me. The SP2309W and the 2409W, on the other hand, have very low specs.

Cheers

well a monitor cum tvs won't be that great for tv,but has a tuner built in and u get speakers and remote, such as the ones from lg.

a dedicated tv will be better suited for videos,but not so great for text when connected to a computer.

dell monitors are great,one doesn't need a dell U2410,u can go for the cheaper 2209WA,u will offcourse need a tv tuner card or a external tuner.
monitors like the dell 2408wfp have a composite/component IN so u can connect a STB directly.

spending more then 20k for a tiny monitor imo ain't worth it anymore,since when one can get a 32" lcd tv even from sony for as low as 20k or below in SG,MY,TH etc.

any feedback on benq 22" (13k) and 24" (~15k) oled backlit model?
They don't seem to have composite in to connect tata sky. Should I buy an external tuner, or just some converter for composite to vga etc?

Folks,

Even i'm also looking for a LCD Monitor TV, any idea which brand should i pick and the latest prices in Bangalore.

I'm looking for a 19" LCD Monitor TV...

for computer use I find 16:9 to be very poor screen dimensions as screen height is too short to view pages. While you may call it a matter of preference, its really a compromise you will convince yourself to make if you choose it. You will realize instinctively if you do A/B comparison with 16:10 or 4:3.

So depending on amount of computer usage you plan, I would advice not spending too much unless its a a 16:10 or 4:3 screen.

Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back