A new beginning

They are a worthy successor to the Vienna Acoustic Beethoven Baby Grands. Not superior. Not inferior. Different.

I have listened to them in direct comparion to my Harbeth Shl5's and all I can say is that I could use either and be happy, astounding when you compare the prices. Only caveat, they demand oodles of clean power. They loved being driven by my symphonic line rg7. All in all, IMHO, one of the best bookshelves that I have heard. They will be missed but I am glad they are in good hands.
Cheers,
Sid

Congrats Ajay. Thats a great pair of speakers. The search for a new amp is going to be interesting - its going to take an exceptional integrated to beat a Bryston pre + power with these. They are fussy about amps - need lots and lots of current to sound their best (just watts wont do it)

Congrats, Ajay.

Although I am relatively new to this world of AV, I too feel that good bookshelves are better suited if moving into or being used in small to mid sized apartments. It brings out all the details without being overbearing. And yes, it might not trouble the neighbours as much either.

Enjoy your music. :)

ajay... move to an accuphase E450 or 460 if you decide to upgrade.

the 460 at its modest 180wpc is far more powerful than the Bryston 4bsst2.

shocking but true!

Dynaudio is definitely the sound I have been looking for ever since I got my first cassette recorder in 1974. Powerful, uncluttered and life like. Jaw dropping detail. Perfect timing. Energetic, enthusiastic and exciting with every genre of music. Superb with Hindustani classical.

Last night I was listening to Sly and The Family Stone. I have always considered them to be a great band but last night I was convinced that they were probably the greatest. The Esoteric+Bryston+Dynaudio rendered their music in all its glory. Anarchistic, infectious and liberating!

Somebody's Watching You - Sly and The Family Stone - HQ - YouTube

If you want me to stay-Sly and the Family stone - YouTube

Woodstock 1969 - Sly and the Family Stone - I Want to Take You Higher 1/2 - YouTube

ajay... move to an accuphase E450 or 460 if you decide to upgrade.

the 460 at its modest 180wpc is far more powerful than the Bryston 4bsst2.

shocking but true!

manav

I had the option of buying an Accuphase E307 or Esoteric AI-10. I bought the Esoteric because I like the idea of a cdp+amp built for each other by the same manufacturer. An Esoteric transport or cdp is a great option for a source if one can afford it. An Esoteric amplifier is a bit of a risk but I am willing to take it. I was also curious about how the SA-10+AI-10 would sound with a balanced IC and word synced with a BNC cable. The only twist in the tale is that my newly acquired Dynaudio Focus 110 are power guzzlers. The 4B SST has that kind of power. If Esoteric AI-10 is unable to drive them with a similar degree of ease then I may retain the Bryston's and sell my new amp instead :)

Nice write up Ajay. I demoed a very good 2 way bookshelf today as well in Bangalore...the Harbeth P3ESR...very natural, dynamic and balanced. Outstanding imaging. But of course, you must pay for these excellent qualities !

Not really, you can go for these - Continuum home

as per the designer, they sound better than the harbeths.

and if you have more guts, here's the diy version Continuum, Pr

Not really, you can go for these - Continuum home

as per the designer, they sound better than the harbeths.

and if you have more guts, here's the diy version Continuum, Pr

Thanks! Where is B'lore are these available please? BTW just to mention that I have rarely come across any designer who does not believe that his system is better than some other :)
I am just looking for a small system for the bedroom and hence not spending too much time and effort - therefore the audition of the tiny Harbeths - my big system demands enough of me!

Balanced IC with word sync is the way to go with Esoteric. No two ways about it Ajay.

Thanks! Where is B'lore are these available please? BTW just to mention that I have rarely come across any designer who does not believe that his system is better than some other :)
I am just looking for a small system for the bedroom and hence not spending too much time and effort - therefore the audition of the tiny Harbeths - my big system demands enough of me!

The first link is from salksound, where these are selling ready made. Salksound has a few of the speakers from the same guy (jeff bagby). these are only available as internet purchase. You can search for reviews on parts express forums and audiocircle salksound forum.

both the continuums and harbeths are basically bbc ls3/5a clones.

Just so I am not missing something, the Harbeths are available here in Bangalore but the Continuum need to be imported from the US?

Just so I am not missing something, the Harbeths are available here in Bangalore but the Continuum need to be imported from the US?

thats correct. iirc, the harbeths were around 1.5L while the continuums are 1200$. diy kit is 350$.

Balanced IC with word sync is the way to go with Esoteric. No two ways about it Ajay.

Hi Prem, I think you are talking about balanced digital interconnect with word sync. Is it certain that AI-10 amplifier has a better DAC than SA-10 and using SA-10 as a transport is sufficient? Why not a simple balanced analog interconenct from SA-10 to Amp, using the SA-10 as complete CD player, in which case there is no need for word sync and any good amplifier will do, bringing Accuphase etc. into the equation?

AI-10 is supposed to employ the famous Esoteric Ring DAC, but i think so also SA-10 player.

Just curious to know if anyone has tried this out. I had looked at AI-10 amp since it had a built in phono, but the amp compulsorily converts all input to digital and reconverts to analog, which made me give it up as too complicated.

make it as 'good beginning'., your confusion and frustrations are understandable. I was in that situation until I met Mr.Pazani of Audio Planet, Koramangala, Behind BDA Complex, Bangalore. I suggest that you meet him, your search will end.

Best Wishes.

Kamalakannan

Hi Prem, I think you are talking about balanced digital interconnect with word sync. Is it certain that AI-10 amplifier has a better DAC than SA-10 and using SA-10 as a transport is sufficient? Why not a simple balanced analog interconenct from SA-10 to Amp, using the SA-10 as complete CD player, in which case there is no need for word sync and any good amplifier will do, bringing Accuphase etc. into the equation?

AI-10 is supposed to employ the famous Esoteric Ring DAC, but i think so also SA-10 player.

Just curious to know if anyone has tried this out. I had looked at AI-10 amp since it had a built in phono, but the amp compulsorily converts all input to digital and reconverts to analog, which made me give it up as too complicated.

I am curious if the esoteric set up allows a loop, i.e. using the master clock (which would be the main advantage of the amp) and then looping it back to use the DACs of the Esoteric CD player (if indeed they are superior?) and taking an analogue output. i.e. using it like an external master clock ?
I have an Esoteric CD player too, which I have hardly played with as yet, but currently use only as a transport so am curious. (K-03) on these configurations.
I also use a digital amp (although it has never been described as such) and it is superb, so I think one can put to rest the old negative digital versus analogue amplifier comparisons of the past, which were real....but thankfully overcome.

make it as 'good beginning'., your confusion and frustrations are understandable. I was in that situation until I met Mr.Pazani of Audio Planet, Koramangala, Behind BDA Complex, Bangalore. I suggest that you meet him, your search will end.

Best Wishes.

Kamalakannan

muzupadi

I am neither confused nor frustrated. I don't think I have posted anything on this thread which would even remotely suggest confusion or frustration. And since my search has already ended I won't be requiring the services of Mr. Pazani for the time being :)

Staxxx, loop using what as source? If analog, amp will convert to digital but I don't think there is a digital out in the amp. Only in.

prem, giri, suraj

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Esoteric AI-10 Integrated Amplifier-DAC (3/2010)

Excerpt from this review.

"What distinguishes the AI-10 from other integrated amps is that it also serves as a master-clock sync generator. Master-clock sync allows the retiming of the DAC to the transport device of a compatible CD player (such as Esoterics own SA-10 or UZ-1) capable of inputting a sync signal (word clock). The frequency of the word-sync signal comes factory-set at 100kHz, but can be changed by pressing the Word button on the front panel (or on the remote control) to 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, or 192kHz. Once the CD players clock is synchronized with the AI-10s master clock, Esoteric claims, improvements can be heard in soundstaging, transparency, and imaging. Unfortunately, I didnt have a compatible CD player that could input a word clock, and therefore wasnt able to take advantage of this feature.

On the AI-10s rear panel are one optical and one coaxial digital input for a DAC section that accepts resolutions of up to 24-bit/192kHz. This takes the incoming PCM digital bitstream and generates pulse-width modulation (PWM) signals using a Texas Instruments TAS5076 chip. These signals are used to directly drive the power-amplifier stage. Therefore, the AI-10 can drive speakers from a CD transport without the use of an external DAC. In addition, the AI-10 converts all incoming analog signals to digital before they reach the amplification stage. This is done by an AKM 5385B, a 24-bit/192kHz, two-channel A/D converter chip. Once signal conversion is complete, it undergoes the same PWM processing described above.

These unique features had me concerned about the net effect on the sound of all this processing. Id never encountered these features before, so I contacted the folks at Esoteric to find out why theyd used this approach. It turns out there were several reasons. One is that, during the process of generating the PWM signal, fluctuations in the power supply will not influence the power-amplification stage. Furthermore, this circuitry doesnt introduce noisy feedback, while allowing Esoteric to make use of its clock technology. Finally, the engineers had already learned a great deal about PWM while developing their AZ-1 integrated. They found they could achieve excellent sonic results using PWM processors and amplifiers, which prompted them to use it in the AI-10. They employed hand-selected components and left the final tuning of the sound to Esoterics president, Motoaki Ohmachi.
"

I can't fully comprehend what the engineers at Esoteric are aiming for. But as the cdp has turned out to be a true blue classic, I am hoping that they would have done an equally good job with the amp. The SA-10+AI-10 combo was released as a pair to mark the 20th anniversary of Esoteric. Hopefully a little extra care would have gone into their designing and manufacturing. I will be trying out several options with the SA-10+AI-10 pairing. The first would obviously be to simply plug in my Transparent IC and speaker cables. The next option will be to word sync the cdp and amp with a BNC cable and see if it makes a difference. And the third option would be to replace the single ended RCA's with balanced interconnects.

More reviews:

6moons audio reviews: Esoteric SA-10 & AI-10

Esoteric AI-10 Digital Integrated Amplifier Review - Equipment Reviews - Dagogo

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Esoteric SA-10 CD/SACD Player (9/2007)

Ajay, from this soundstage post it does seem that they are advising to use the SA-10 as a transport with word sync from amp. Good luck. I am sure it will be the ultimate A/B/C comparison. But whichever turns out best, do compare that in the end with simple balanced analog with from SA-10 to a different amp.

Amazingly, in the arrangement with an analogue interconnect, the SA - 10 will do a DAC and output analog to the AI-10 which will first use an ADC and then a DAC (I presume that the digital PWM must be converted to analog before power amplification, cant see how else it is possible). So three conversions...whew!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back