A new beginning

sidvee

5500$ + additional expenditure would not be within my budget. I have already bought (but not as yet received) the Esoteric AI-10 amp. Bryston BP6+4B SST+Focus 110 seems to be a match made in heaven. I couldn't ask for anything more at the moment. Lets see whether I finally retain the Bryston combo or the Esoteric AI-10.

Sounds good Ajay. Will be interesting to read your comparison between the Bryston & Esoteric.
Cheers,
Sid

Fully agree. I had auditioned E-350 with Moral bookshelf. It could not get moral sing well below 11 o'clock on volume knob in relatively smaller room.

My Naim NAP200 amp hooked up to ATC SCM40 delivers much more power even at 9 o'clock in approx 260 sq ft room.

sorry, I didnt follow the entire thread but the E-250 power supply section seems quite poor for a 4 ohm/challenging load. If power/drivability is a consideration, this particular model wont cut it. Out of curiosity, I looked at the E-350, and surprisingly that doesnt look that great on paper either. The 460 on the other hand is much better spec'd on paper. Anyway, take these numbers for what they are meant to be and nothing more - just specs.

cheers

Accuphase is really a brand I admire in Amplifiers. But from all i have read, they Accuphase gets serious with the A30 amplifier which is present in the E550 (which Bhagwan has)
below that you can do better..and ajay you my just be better of with the Bryston.
i missed out on an older A20 some years ago for a good deal and do regret it once in a while..The Accuphase A series Amps t used to take even a 1 Ohm load while rated only till 2 ! its power is very very misleading as at 2 ohms it gives 4 times the power .
Something only the older Krells used to.

arj

My earlier speakers (Vienna Acoustics) used to sound relaxed and refined even with relatively lower powered amps. They were initially fed by a Cyrus 8VS2 (110 WPC/4 ohms) and later by a Bryston 3B SST(250 WPC/4ohms) and Bryston 4B SST (500 WPC/4ohms). My listening room size is approximately 400 sq feet. They never clipped, complained or underperformed. I felt that the 250 Watts of 3B SST were the right dose for them in a large room. In my 200 sq feet bedroom they sounded entrancingly sweet and musical even with the Cyrus amp.

With the Focus 110 it is a different story. They seem to thrive on power. Right now I am using a very basic IC from the pre to the power amp but I am still loving the sound. I am sure that using a decent pair of interconnects and mounting them on sand filled Dynaudio Stand 3's will take the sound to a whole new level. Suddenly I am not very sure if replacing the 500 WPC of Bryston separates with 150 WPC of Esoteric integrated is a good idea. I read that Class D amps are more efficient than Class AB amps. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating!

I presently have the following setup.
Denon 1912,
Marantz cd 6003
Norge 1000 gold
wharfedale 9.2

i am not satisfied with denon and wharfedale combination.
i have shortlisted some BS for Denon 1912.
Monitor Audio BX2, Polk Audio RTI A3, MS Aviano 2.

which one from the above will suit the best with denon?
and if any other suggestions from experts only.

room size is 12'x10'. budget is 30k. BS only.

apk

You are absolutely on the ball about Goa. Nature, culture, food, wine and sossegado. It's all there. More than anything else I am looking forward to photographing Goa. As there are far more tourists in Goa than in Chandigarh people are far more used to cameras. In Chandigarh most folks have a bewildered look in their eyes when they see me moving around with a monopod and 80-200 2.8D lens with hood attached to my D700. Their look says it all. I am either a newspaper man, a television man, a foreigner or a mad man. Personally out of all these choices I would prefer to be considered a mad man :)

Ajay, I'm also looking to buy my first studio house in Goa. Can you share some of your homework?

Palolem Hills at Goa Beach - Goa, luxurious living Goa, apartment in Goa, flat for sale, Goa accomodation, apartments for sale

Thanks for your time.

heliumflight

The Candolim, Calangute, Baga, Anjuna, Vagator belt in North Goa has succumbed to mass tourism and should be avoided. You can consider buying a house in the extreme north (close to Arambol and Tiracol) but it would be better if you ignored the north and only focused on South Goa. The best option would be to look for something close to the major beaches like Majorda, Utorda, Betalbatim, Colva, Benaulim, Varca, Cavellosim and Mobor. Personally I like Majorda, Utorda and Cavellosim. Colva is also a good option as it has the best infrastructure out of all the South Goa beach towns. Palolem (in the extreme south) is quite popular with foreign tourists but I feel it is a little cut off from the rest of Goa. Also it is not very interesting or beautiful. I would wholeheartedly recommend the village of Cavellosim especially if you can find a property along the Sal River. Luisa By The Sea is a well known residential area of Cavellosim but there are a lot of new apartments and villas being built in all the beach towns. You can also consider buying an old Portugese villa and renovating it. You should verify the title deeds and prices very carefully before buying anything. I have done a lot of research during earlier visits but I still plan to rent a place for one year before buying any property in Goa. We were considering settling down in Colva and admitting our daughter to Manovikas school in Margao, but now we are more interested in putting her in Sharda Mandir and settling down in Panjim. Getting our daughter admitted to this school is our first priority. I would be really grateful if any forum member could help us with the admission. Earlier I was thinking of opening a hifi shop in Panjim but now I am more inclined towards starting a photography studio :)

http://www.goa-holidays-and-hotels.com/images/Map-of-South-Goa-Beaches.gif

Goa Property Finder! View 100s of Goa properties before you buy Goa property.

Last edited:
Music starts sounding seriously good after 11pm at night. During the day there are ambient sounds which may not be noticeable (our ears have got used to them), but they do detract from the pleasure of listening to music. My listening sessions have again fallen into a regular and fixed pattern. They begin around 7 pm and carry on till midnight and sometimes much later.

I have begun listening to a lot of rock music as it sound plain awesome with the Dynaudio bookshelfs. In retrospect I feel I was playing my earlier towers at an unnecessarily high volume. Boosted by the incredible power of the 4B SST, the Viennas were creating too much sound energy in the room. I should have kept the volume down at 10-11 O' Clock levels instead of kicking up an audio storm at 12-1 O' Clock! I should have got my room treated. Big amps and big speakers nudge you into seeking a big sound. But your room will probably not be equipped to handle a big sound. One of the reasons that the bookshelf's are sounding good is that there are far less indirect reflections of sound. Yet even at low volumes the amp and speakers generate enough energy to effortlessly fill my 400 sq feet. Something which a budget amp or budget speakers would never be able to do.

Over a period of time I have become fairly adept at placing my speakers correctly. Bhagwan's precise measurement of the room and placement of my earlier speakers was a lesson which will serve me well for the rest of my life. I would never have dared to try out the dramatic toe-in which he finally fashioned for the Vienna Acoustics. I have not yet done precise measurements for the bookshelves but their placement is almost similar to my earlier towers. Similar separation between speakers ( 8 feet) and distance from side walls (2.5 feet). Marginally closer to the front wall (5 feet). Toe in is a little less than the towers. Depending on my mood, I keep pushing my listening sofa up and down the room so my distance from the speakers keeps shifting between 8-10 feet. The tweeters of the Focus 110 are probably 8 inches higher than ear level as I don't have dedicated stands at the moment. The only fly in the ointment is that I sold one of my TA interconnects ( in anticipation of my move to an integrated amp). From the pre to the power amp I am presently using the IC which came bundled with my daughters Sony DVD player. Any volunteers for lending me single ended RCA's for a couple of months :) ?

The Bryston B60 remote has a motorized volume control. It seems to do something more than merely cranking up the volume. One can actually senses the soundstage increasing in depth, width and height as the volume is slowly cranked up. It is a solid chunk of minimalistic metal with volume up/down/mute and nothing else! Using the B60 is a pleasure as the motorized controls give it a very well damped feel. The sensation reminds me of manually zooming in with Nikon (mostly metal and impeccably built) pro grade lenses!

The following post by 2chFreak (on the "speakers that disappear" thread) helped me to fine tune the volume at which I listen to music. I am able to achieve better imaging, detail and separation of instruments after mulling over this and a couple of other posts by the same poster.

Consider 3 artists playing on a stage, Sax on the Left, Guitar in the Centre & Piano on the Right.
When you set the listening level intensity correctly, you will see the images as below :
24yntbp.jpg

Now, if you GROSSLY set the intensity waaaayyy too Loud, each of the instrument's image will start to overlap over one another, smearing the sharp image and diluting the overall image clarity as below :
34eurtl.jpg

Last edited:
i wholeheartedly agree with your view ( and am sure shared by many ) about late night listening. One un-intended problem lies with late night snacking :))

if i can avoid that .. i would be much better off.

:))

the other thing.. one tends to be a bit groggy eyed the next morning.

Lastnight was coldplay + mark knopfler + dido for me..

I have a few SACD's of Tchaikovsky which i will try at the first opportunity.

How i would love to listen to your setup Ajay... but we are too far apart distancewise.

Sometimes.. in my minds eye.. i pit my setup vis a vis yours and i would love to do an A/B. ( This is crazy i know.. )

But thats impossible.. for the moment..

Maybe when you come to goa :))

regards,
mpw

One of my friends is flying back from Dubai in a couple of days. Can anybody who is familiar with hifi shops in Dubai (especially in the vicinity of the clock tower) suggest a shop from where he could pick up a pair of stands for my Dynaudio Focus 110's. I would prefer to buy the Stand 3's sold by Dynaudio, or something similar to them.

I tried to contact Imagine Technologies (Dynaudio distributors for U.A.E.) but no one picks up the phone. They are listed as the dealers for India also. But I have never been able to discover whether they are actually stocking Dynaudio or not.

Ajay,

It does not appeal to me in any way of being awake late into night for just listening to music and to unnecessary get up late in the morning with added drawbacks.

The solution is simple, have a dedicated listening room, one does not have to make a big room for music because it will not be wise.

V.

Music starts sounding seriously good after 11pm at night. During the day there are ambient sounds which may not be noticeable (our ears have got used to them), but they do detract from the pleasure of listening to music. My listening sessions have again fallen into a regular and fixed pattern. They begin around 7 pm and carry on till midnight and sometimes much later.

vinay

Good to hear from you! How is the stock market treating you these days? I am back to trading on a daily basis. I am trying to diversify my assets base by moving out of real estate (to some extent) and shifting the funds to other avenues. I feel safer with stocks than with real estate as their price can easily be verified and one is free to choose ones entry and exit points. Whereas in real estate, the local dealers and financiers exercise a stranglehold over the price of property and the entry and exit point for both buyers and sellers alike. And they seem to be getting shrewder, greedier and more devious by the day!

I would love to have a dedicated room for both music and cinema. Hopefully in a house in Dona Paula facing the sea :) I have not watched too many films at home since I sold my Yamaha AVR and Wharfedale speaker/center/sub set up in 2009. One reason is that my taste in cinema has narrowed down to a handful of art house film makers and I find mainstream cinema to be mind numbingly boring and meaningless. If I ask myself, which are the good or great films made by Hollywood or Bollywood, the answer I get is none. But my 6 year old daughter is averaging 1.5 Hollywood fantasies per day, so they have lost one customer and found another more enthusiastic one :)

Ajay,

The day trading has not treated me well during my last trade while in Shimla, i had to take a good loss. While i was able to make some money in Commodities & Currency.

I somewhere knew down the line that you will start trading sooner then later when you told me that you have quit the circus of day trading. The biggest problem with trading is that it is completely addictive, much higher then smoke or booze, or you name it.

I agree with you about the views of investment between stocks and property. For me my piece of mind is of most importance and needless to say i would like to keep any sort of hassle to it' bay or rather not cross the path where there could be issues. Therefore i prefer to invest only via mutual funds, no property and related for me.

I know of a doctor she invests through me in mutual funds but she has invested in property and rents out, every know and then i hear some problems which she or others face, like for 2/3/4 months there is no one to rent, so the revenue is lost during this transit phase, and the rent not coming in many a times on schedule, so keep chasing them, with cases of cheque bounce, or the people who rented, made nuisance in the building society, or damaging the property while staying, the cases where the guy who is taking on rent, wants the room furniture new, change of air condition etc. Further above all there will be several cases where the broker knows that the person who is renting is not a fair person when it comes to ethics and related, but for their little commission, they will probably not hesitate even a inch to yet recommend the client to flat owner.

It is very true when you say that stocks and mutual funds are transparent to it's best, we know that the buy and sell price can never be wrong and we can sell in tranches, or rather buy too in small lots, while needless to say that when we want to sell, the money for sure will come in our account within 5 working days, unless it is a international fund, invested in foreign markets, which will call for a 10 day payment arriving in our account.

It is indeed needless to say most of them prefer to invest in property then in stocks because of their limited knowledge to how the investment works in markets of mutual funds and related.

As i said earlier, that you are heading for golden time when you buy your new apartment because you can buy only that property where you can get the correct dimension for making your music cum movie room. I saw some of them suggesting you that you should buy so and so gear and related, my point is that gear matter comes much later on, first the correct room will be the order of correct step.

I have a very strong feeling that your daughter will go places in life, within 7 years of her being in career. Please shake hand with her on my behalf.

I have met you twice and i have enjoyed the marathon chat which we had about the forum, markets, general issues. I will be visiting again to Shimla during last week of December and shall be there right up till middle of February.

V.

Last edited:
I knew that the first thing I had to do was to free myself from my three packs a day smoking addiction. The fact that after 25 years I was finally able to break out of this prison gave me a lot of strength for taking further tough decisions. Next on the cards was to get out of my habit of consuming a quarter bottle of alcohol every day. Single malt helped me to get out of this one. The very first time I tasted a Laphroiag (still my favorite) I knew it was the end of my indian made 'foreign' liquor days. Once you have heard high end audio, you can't go back to m pee 3! As I could barely afford one bottle of duty free Laphroaig per month my alcohol intake went down. I also realized that for achieving an enjoyable high, the quality of alcohol being consumed is more important than the quantity!

And finally, (after winding up my catering business and retiring forever from the obligation of making clients happy) I stopped eating out and started developing interesting recipes which could be cooked at home. A chat with a dietician convinced me that it is not necessary to diet (or even exercise much) in order to lose weight. All that is required is to cut out a few ingredients which are a staple part of the indian diet. Sugar, refined oil, maida, dals and rice. And remember that casual, thoughtless snacking will prpbably make you obscenely obese! My current diet is soya milk and nutty cereals for breakfast. Two chapatis, vegetables and curd for lunch. A light bowl of soup with vegetables/meats and toasted whole wheat bread for dinner. Almost 1kg of fruits (no bananas) every day. Two large shots of Laphroiag every Saturday. I look and feel far more healthy now, than I used to 10 years ago :)

Ajay - First, congrats on your new speakers! Dynaudio makes amazing speakers and are so well regarded!

As I was reading through the thread I saw the above post, and thought to share a book I recently read:

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health: William Davis: 3520700000720: Amazon.com: Books

Changed my view of wheat completely, and probably explains why diabetes is so prevalent in India - rotis, nans and whatnot. Have reduced my rotis to 1 per day on most days, and feel a significant difference in general well-being already.

Anyway, enjoy the music!!

@ajay - good job on quitting smoking, reducing on alcohol and moving to a good diet. Congrats. I hope to keep myself that disciplined soon. Have cut down a lot in last few weeks on food front - but still a meal or two over the weekend outside destroy the week's effort.

Vinay - you are absolutely correct on the investment front. I was lured into day trading by trading companies. Ended up making lot of money. But the bigger problem is the amount of time/ focus you need, which you can not do alongside a demanding job. So mutual fund SIP auto deducted from your bank a/c is the best. Even small amount every month will surprise you at end of the year - how much you ended up saving.

Anm,

It is interesting to note that you had the opportunity to make big money. So who was deciding to go short/long, the broker or yourself and was it truly being squared before the closing bell? It does look easy to day trade but truly it is a full time job with great concentration, alertness during turbulence time's, especially when the call has to be taken in a split of a second. While the beauty is if one believes in school of discipline then the trading software is fully automated to put the stop's be it the profit or loss.

You are absolutely correct that mutual fund is the best way to go forward, especially the SIP route, be it daily, weekly, monthly, etc. There will be certain pockets of quarter's or year/s where with the returns it could be nasty, we could be loosing, because of the sensex's slide downwards but as you know if money is long term, then these slides are no material to worry, as long as SI P's remain in strong force.

I am likely to exit my units once the market jumps by around 800 points because i need the to be profited money by middle of next year, and needless to say will start afresh with the released capital.

V.

Last edited:
vinay

As we have discussed several times before, my views about mutual funds are very different from yours. I am happy that you are getting a good return from them. But none of my relatives or friends who invested in highly rated mutual funds have ever made a penny from their investment. In fact most of the funds have consistently been trading below their entry point, even though the Sensex has risen by a few thousand points since they made their investment.

I don't believe that bankers, wealth managers, analysts or the 'experts' on TV channels exist to make a profit for small investors. They exist to make a profit for themselves and to pass on the losses to the people who innocently (and in most cases foolishly) trust them. Stock, commodity and currency markets are a jungle. Everybody who is brave enough (or stupid enough) to enter this jungle, has to pay a serious amount of 'blood money' before he or she can learn the ways of the jungle. But in order to survive one has to quickly learn how to fend for himself or herself. There is very little chance that we will encounter a good soul who will lead us to the treasures hidden in the jungle. We are more likely to encounter a big bad wolf:

What big ears you have, said Little Red Riding Hood
The better to hear you with, my dear, replied the wolf
But Grandmother! What big eyes you have, said Little Red Riding Hood
The better to see you with, my dear, replied the wolf
But Grandmother! What big teeth you have, said Little Red Riding Hood
The better to eat you with, my dear.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back