A new beginning

ajay124

The Vienna Acoustics are gone. The fact that they are gone forever has slowly started sinking in. My listening room bears a desolate and empty look. Silence, instead of music, hovers in the air. My cdp, amps and cables give me cold, accusing stares. They seem to be asking: Who's next on the chopping block?

Building a hifi system is a complex affair. An affair wrought with anxiety, confusion, passion and frustration. It is a roller coaster ride occasionally ending in happiness but quite often in tears. Limited funds, limited knowledge and limited opportunities for auditioning brands ensure that the long and winding road to audio bliss is full of pot holes and speed breakers.

One would assume that by the time we start building our third or forth system we would have acquired sufficient knowledge to progress smoothly. But personally I don't expect any smooth rides this time around. The biggest obstacle is that I have no idea what the size and acoustics of my new listening room are going to be like. We intend to shift to Panjim early next year. If we can manage to find a spacious bungalow in the Dona Paula, Campal or Altinho localities then I may have 250-350 sq feet room for music. But if we have to live in an apartment, then the listening space is going to be considerably smaller.

I knew that one day I would be changing my present system. I thought it would be a slow and calculated approach. But the reality is that at the moment I have no idea about the shape, size or budget of my next system. One thing is clear. Ill be looking for something different from my present system. Change is always good. We may build strong bonds with something or someone but finally there is always a moment when we have to move on.

Recently I have started assimilating fresh information and opinions about the brands which I find interesting: Dynaudio, ATC, Harbeth, Magnepan, Tannoy, Thiel and Sonus Faber for speakers. Accuphase, Esoteric, Luxman, Mcintosh for amps. I am also willing to consider local brands like Lyrita, Rethm and Cadence. I am open to buying locally or importing from abroad. The Esoteric SA-10 will remain as the source. For speakers I am more inclined towards stand mounts rather than towers. For amplification I am willing to consider both tube and solid state. I am looking for a system which would play western classical, indian classical, jazz and rock with an equal degree of flair and refinement. I am looking for a touch of bloom and sweetness in the sound. I am looking for a light and airy sound. Foot tapping and finger clicking tempos. Lean and tightly controlled bass. A decent soundstage. Speakers which disappear when the music starts playing. I am looking for a system which does not dominate the room and which begins playing music with the least amount of ritual or drama :)

2A3!

helium
HiFi I -CA 640c V2 + Sansui AU-317 + Vintage B&W DM4 + Pure Silver cables
HiFi II - SB Classic + MARANTZ PM6100SA & SM6100SA + Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary LE + Lyrita IC

more than anything alse ajay.. i am aware you will look for a system that is simple to operate and starts running whenever you want it to.

I ( and many FM's ) would have been to places with very complicated and expensive hardware.. but the setup process is crazy and to get the system to function seamlessly is a task in itself.. unless one enjoys doing it.

My own ( rather limited ) personal experience is leading me towards simplicity ( rather than musical refinement.. not that refinement is not important ). Therefore am looking at making playlists depending on my mood and time and pushing it out thru amp - speakers.

Yes - i am pointing you towards a good DAC.

It is possible you may have a large collection of Cd's and these will need to be ripped into FLAC etc.. but i think you must explore this option before you decide the brands.

Look at technology, then refinement and simplicity then brands. ( My 2 bits !! )

NAD has a few offerings in the digital stream which are quite interesting.

rgds,
mpw
Mumbai

Ajay, have you thought about getting a really good music server, like the Aurender (imported) and using the DAC in your Esoteric SA10 through a good SPDIF connection? I can tell you as a die hard conventional audio fan, having changed last year nothing will make me go back and believe me you will gain in SQ (because of the availability of hirez downloads as well as conventional CD rips being played without jitter or negligible jitter). If you are coming to Bangalore you are welcome to hear what a well-put together digital system can sound like.
By the way, had a place in Dona Paula for several years. Lovely area to live in.

My $ 0.02: Large format coaxial speakers (think Tannoy => 12 inchers) driven by 20-25W of high quality tube amplification (a good 845 or 211 SET) may be the way forward. What you will get:

1) great tonality and timbre
2) coherent source
3) sense of effortless playback
4) startling dynamics
5) enough bass coverage (mids and highs being givens) except for some really tough cello and pedal organ passages (which in any case are best done by an active sub - or two - that go down real deep).

Keep your source as is.

Hi Ajay...

Firstly, congarts on making the BIG decision to shift to GOA!

Yay! Now I have a friend to visit there!

On the audio front, just try and listen to as many kind of set ups... single drivers with set amps, dual concentric with 20 watt tube amps, solid state with multiple driver speakers... listen to as many Kinds of set ups as you can...

then decide.

One does not change the entire chain ever so often... so might as well do it with all the facts and experiences that one can get!

Cheers! And best of luck!

Large format coaxial speakers (think Tannoy => 12 inchers)

Another option for speakers is to go completely boxless. I can't think of a better option than the Maggie 3.6 (or 3.7, if you will stretch your flexible budget).

A couple of caveats, though: First, these are really large speakers, towering at 6 foot (or thereabouts). And a couple of feet wide, too. So a large listening room is a must, or be prepared for some amount of room treatment. Secondly, I am not sure if they are affected by humidity and dust and would need a controlled environment (like earlier Cadence panels used to require).

Needs powerful amps to sound their best.

What you get:
1) real fast attack and nicely sustained releases
2) dynamics is a given
3) soundstaging - width, depth and height
4) no box colouration
5) musicality in spades

Compared to a large format Tannoy, these speakers will sound more hifi-ish.

any advice!
kv.gif

Firstly congrats on taking a decision as big as moving to Goa.....I think you should take as much time as you can to listen to different equipment till you shift to your house in Goa and then depending upon your room whether big or small narrow down on the choices......

Big Tannoys with tube amps would be great but so would good monitors like Harbeth with decent amplification.....

You are already keeping your Esoteric CDP with DAC so it makes sense to look for a music server in the time being......

Your amps and speakers decision will have to be made once you decide on your room size but till then listen to as many setups and components as you can....

you are most welcome to hear the Harbeth sound at my place in Faridabad whenever you are in Delhi....In fact we would be meeting at Lakozy in Delhi to listen to the Harbeths with the Naim 5i and hopefully the Luxman 550 Class A amp....try and make it if you can.....

Speakers: Bookshelf+stands. Less than 150K. New or lightly used. Wish list at the moment:
Dynaudio Contour S 1.4
Dynaudio Focus 140
ATC SCM 19
Harbeth Monitor 30
Harbeth Super HL5
Focal Electra 1007 S
Tannoy Precision 6.1/6.2
Proac Response D1/D2

panditji

Has any date been fixed for the Lakozy meet? I would like to listen to your Harbeths and also the Tannoy Precision/Stirling/Turnberry. And Manav's set up!

I will confirm with Ashish first tomorrow and let you know accordingly.....we are trying to meet on Sunday, 14th October .... I would also like listening to the Tannoy Stirlings/Turnberry as I found them very very good.....
Of course, you must hear Manav's setup as I am sure you would come back very very impressed as i did this Saturday...unfortunately his speakers were custom built and not available off the rack....But you would get to know what the Accuphase E-460 is capable of....

:sad: :sad: :sad:

thad

I had planned a sentimental farewell party for the Vienna's lasting late into the night. Dim lights and Cabernet Sauvignon. Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler and Ochs. But the carpenter landed up one day in advance and we packed up the speakers without a listen and without a ceremony. In a way I am glad. Because Cab Sauv can makes you sentimental and Gustav Mahler and Phil Ochs can wring your heart. I would have started regretting and rethinking my decision! Partings, when they have to be endured, should be short and surgical.

I am up early today. After surviving without music for a few days I managed to put together a makeshift system in my computer room. Esoteric SA10+Cyrus 6VS2+Dynaudio Audience 122 (my old speakers borrowed from the person I had sold them too)+TA Musiclink Super IC+Dac cables. Krystian Zimmerman and the Polish Festival Orchestra playing Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1.

The music is sounding divine. Mellow and intimate. Up, close and personal. Perhaps the only thing lacking is a soundstage as the speakers are barely 3 inches away from the wall. My computer room is 10x12 but it probably has better acoustics than my 25x16 living room. My post mortem (partly influenced by Bhagwan's analysis) for my former system in my former listening room is that the wall behind my listening chair was more 'alive' than dead. It was storing and reflecting too much acoustic energy. The huge dimensions of the room demanded a big amp and big speakers. Cranked up volumes. All of which which resulted in a loss of intimacy. I want to keep my next system small and simple. My current impression is that the room is at least 50% of the system. One would save a lot of money by acknowledging this simple fact. I believe there is a tendency in our nation (and on our forum) to confuse big and expensive with better. For most listening rooms smaller and cheaper would be a smarter choice.

I am trying to extrapolate the sound of Audience 122 to the Focus and Contour series of Dynaudio. I like what the Dyn's do. With every genre of music. Even without an audition I am confident that I would like the Focus 140's. And love the Contour 1.4's. Esoteric SA10+Accuphase E350+Contour 1.4 sounds like my ticket to audio nirvana, round 4 :)

Last edited:
maybe its time to go for diy:)

Perhaps if I was 15 years younger I might have embarked on a DIY adventure. I remember Suri's Witches of Ecstasy thread with a great deal of affection. I wonder what he is up to these days. I miss his effervescence and streak of originality on the forum.

As for my new speakers I am contemplating only one brand at the moment. DYNAUDIO. With Bryston if my amps remain unsold. With Accuphase if they find find a new home. Either way I would be happy to settle down with a Focus 140/Contour S 1.4. Unfortunately Dyn's are hard to find in India ever since The Soundsmiths stopped selling them.

As for my new speakers I am contemplating only one brand at the moment. DYNAUDIO. With Bryston if my amps remain unsold. With Accuphase if they find find a new home. Either way I would be happy to settle down with a Focus 140/Contour S 1.4. Unfortunately Dyn's are hard to find in India ever since The Soundsmiths stopped selling them.

Hmm. Dynaudio's are hard to find. There is supposed to be some new DD in Hyderabad. Look it up on the Dynaudio site. From what I know, the studio monitors are still available. Worth considering if you are open to taking the active route.

I have tried to locate and get in touch with Dynaudio's new DD in India and come up with nothing. Are you referring to the Focus 110A? Where? How much?

Away from the topic why "Aashikeswarani : is once again( second time) banned here.. Nothing but commercial is the way going on with Lakozy.. He is one of the top suggesting guys here, why cant he be spared as individual member..

Back to topic... Good luck with swapping the system.

panditji

Has any date been fixed for the Lakozy meet? I would like to listen to your Harbeths and also the Tannoy Precision/Stirling/Turnberry. And Manav's set up!

I will confirm with Ashish first tomorrow and let you know accordingly.....we are trying to meet on Sunday, 14th October .... I would also like listening to the Tannoy Stirlings/Turnberry as I found them very very good.....
Of course, you must hear Manav's setup as I am sure you would come back very very impressed as i did this Saturday...unfortunately his speakers were custom built and not available off the rack....But you would get to know what the Accuphase E-460 is capable of....

I have tried to locate and get in touch with Dynaudio's new DD in India and come up with nothing. Are you referring to the Focus 110A? Where? How much?

Not the Focus 110A but the studio monitors BM5A, BM6A etc. See here: Dynaudio Professional

They have a completely separate distribution setup for these.

These guys deal with them:

Pace Mediatek, Mumbai
Phone: +91 22 6694 1915
Fax: +91 226694 1917
Email: [email protected]
Web: Pace Communications

I think Furtados are also a dealer.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back