A new window...Technics SL1210mk2

Bhai,
have you added extra mass to the tonearm headshell ? otherwise resonant frequency would be more than 10hz.
Regards.

Quality of voice mainly depends upon cartridge, its condition and alignment. I have seen it with 3-5 different carts on my 1200. Its alignment of 0.25gm weight and few degrees of angle makes world different. I felt mainly NVH and wow-flutter are turntable properties. These could improve sound reproduction to best cartridge can produce on the top alignment and condition.

[NVH - Noise Vibration and Hum, coming for automobile dictionary :)]

Last edited:
You are right OM. I presumed alignment was done. If resonant frequency is too high it's harmonics can affect the higher region (of fundamental frequency) since we have low frequency boost in phono preamplifier. I may be totally wrong as midrange doesn't fall in to this. And that's where we have problem. :confused: May be cartridge loading is messing with the sound ?
Regards

He's using a Denon DL 103. I believe impedance loading is set for 100 ohms. Tracking is set at about 2.52 grams. VTA adjusted for the cartridge.

Overhang adjusted but nulls not adjusted as we didn't have a protractor for this arm. But since the arm is an S arm, if one sets the cartridge on the headshell slot without any offset, the offset angle for the arm is usually taken care of. For this to work, of course one has to set overhang correctly so that it aligns - at least approximately - to the inner and outer nulls. With the correct protractor, the alignment can be refined further.

Last edited:
I m looking to buy Technics 1200/1210 in Hyderabad, I need guidance on import duties, taxes, charges & shipping if I buy from eBay.

Thanks navinsinha, any other considerations apart from customs I need to keep in mind while buying Technics TT from eBay?

Thanks navinsinha, any other considerations apart from customs I need to keep in mind while buying Technics TT from eBay?

Its a bit risky to get it shipped from overseas especially a TT. Chances of damaging the delicate parts of the TT are higher in shipping. I would say post your requirements under the "Wanted" section of the classifieds on the forum and you should be able to find one but will take time.

Manniraj has made the right observations. TTs are delicate items and are likely to be damaged if not packed properly. I have, though, imported TTs, Amps and 2 Cassette decks. In case of 1 cassette deck, it was damaged in transit. Even the Amps (SAE pre and power combo) the packing was not good but with God's grace only, it came OK. My AR XA TT came very well packed and I had no problems with it.

I would also suggest that you try locally if possible. I myself purchased a Technics 1200 MK2 from a Bangalore FM. The price was a bit more than the Ebay prices but I could personally see the thing. I went all the way from Mumbai to Bangalore to fetch the TT. No issues of damage in transport.

Theres nothing like getting a TT locally and avoiding the whole hassle and horror of shipping a TT from abroad. Its very likely that something will get damaged. The feeling of inspecting the TT really adds to the entire experience. Getting a mint 1200 is quite rare in india, but when you do get one, grab it. The key is keep scouting because for some reason, very few get a 1200 in their first few attempts.

The 1200 is a great deck and with very few simple tweaks/mods make it even more spectacular. Think of it, I've got 2 of these decks and I love them both. Have Sir Garrard 401 as well but only out on special occassions.

Cheer...

RP

what turntable mat do you use ? the the one that came with the TT or cork mat ?

tried experimenting with the TT mat anybody ?

regards

RP

what turntable mat do you use ? the the one that came with the TT or cork mat ?

tried experimenting with the TT mat anybody ?

regards

Hey Mate - I use a combination of 2 mats on me 1200. Felt and Rubber and I find the music to be much punchier. Thats to me liking. Never tried a cork mat but many swear it adds to sonic improvements. I wanted to take the DIY route for this but never got time to source a cork sheet.

Cheers...

interesting lines...

" the closer to the signal path the dampening technology is applied, the more effective it can be, and second, the closer to the signal path, the less costly the tweak can become.... "

from here ..

Sound Dead Steel Isoplatmat Review By Rick Becker
Yes that's true.
I experienced better results in tonearm damping than TT body itself. Also tried inside platter and headshell too. There weight is important, so less option with thin gel layer which are harvested from bicycle sit cover. [emoji6] this was with technics 1200.
Now I will try tonearm mounting plate isolation and damping of my Thorens TD150.

Last edited:
tried a DUAL Turntable rubber mat on a loaner from a fellow FM. This mat is quite thick at about 3.5 mm.

Played anyway but the sound was less dynamic i thought - maybe i should adjust the tone arm height and re-calibrate the cartridge counter weights etc..

anyways ( last week ) have ordered an original Technics Sl1210 rubber mat ( loked up original part number ).

Will play around in earnestness once it comes home..

regards

You can have it laser cut. I use 4 mm thick translucent. If you want I can mail you the Coreldraw file I made.

Caveat: from my experience it is advisable to stick the acrylic mat to the platter using some very thin double sided stickers or blutac as the acrylic surface can lose traction against the equally slippery aluminium platter. Further, a medium record weight is useful on top of the record when playing so that it doesn't slip against the acrylic mat.

In short, probably not worth the trouble:)

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back