A phono pre-amp for a turntable that already has one!?

Hey thats nice. US is a good market for TTs in good condition and not priced steeply like the market here. Try looking at their local Buy/Sell sites. Transporting TTs is generally avoided but if they are packed technically correctly, it should be okay.

Also plus one with Reuben's suggestions. Try getting your hands on a good Technics.

Also, the Bangalore dealers here are no good at all. And as a begginner, you will be conned into picking a horrible TT at a crazy price. My advise, please avoid dealers or have an experienced friend accompany you to conduct the checks.

Thanks. And which Technics model do you suggest? I mean..not the costliest :p SL 1200 itself has a lot of models right..

Well there are soo many models of Technics available.

Why dont you look at a Direct Drive with the S-Shaped tonearms with standard technics headshells. Series like SL1xxx and SL3xxx. The rest is based on your planned budget.

This is similar advise I got when I was starting off but I got my hands on a good Akai AP-206 DD TT (Semi Automatic). Even now stuck to a basic Audio Technica Cartridge and now planning to upgrade to the more sort after.

Thanks a lot! :) There's one more i saw..Garrard AT6! How's that different? Sorry if i'm bothering you with so many questions but i don't have much clue about all this :p

The Garrard AT6 is the idler drive changer version of the very popular Garrard SP25Mk1. My father had the SP25Mk1 and it was a great work horse. The AT6 has additional mechanics for the auto mode and changer. If you really have to buy a changer, these were some of the more reliable ones made by Garrard. However my personal opinion is to get a stand alone Garrard Transcription turntable like SP25, etc.

Nederlands Grammofoon Genootschap

Thanks. And which Technics model do you suggest? I mean..not the costliest :p SL 1200 itself has a lot of models right..

Suggest you be on the look out for SL3xxx series. They are not expensive and very reliable. I have the SL3200. You wont believe this but its speed is dead accurate. No vintage idler can match this unless completely rebuilt.

Avoid the SL12xx series unless you have a very very decent budget. The SL13xx, SL14xx and SL15xx were also pretty decent turntables. Ensure you go for a Technics Direct Drive and not belt drives.

Suggest you be on the look out for SL3xxx series. They are not expensive and very reliable. I have the SL3200. You wont believe this but its speed is dead accurate. No vintage idler can match this unless completely rebuilt.

Avoid the SL12xx series unless you have a very very decent budget. The SL13xx, SL14xx and SL15xx were also pretty decent turntables. Ensure you go for a Technics Direct Drive and not belt drives.

I'm thinking of bidding for this SL 1200..Guess this will get sold at around 200 dollars..do you think it's worth it?
Vintage Technics Quartz Direct Drive Turntable SL 1200MK2 Works | eBay

btw where did you buy your SL 3200?

SL 3200 doesn't seem to be available on ebay right now :mad: check this as well..
Vintage Technics SL Q200 Quartz Direct Drive Record Player Turntable Works | eBay

It says "Ground wire not included". Is that a major problem?

Also can someone tell me about the difference between fully automatic and semi/manual TT? SL 1300 seems to be fully auto and 1500 manual..what's the diff?

Last edited:
SL 3200 doesn't seem to be available on ebay right now :mad: check this as well..
Vintage Technics SL Q200 Quartz Direct Drive Record Player Turntable Works | eBay

It says "Ground wire not included". Is that a major problem?

Also can someone tell me about the difference between fully automatic and semi/manual TT? SL 1300 seems to be fully auto and 1500 manual..what's the diff?

Automatic TT:

These are basically of 2 types, (1) record changers and (2) automatic transcription turntables.

(1) Changers: Changers are designed to play music seamlessly for longer periods of time (you dont have to get up and change the record side) so you stack up a few records and they keep playing till the chosen side of the entire stack of records is played. These changers have settings for different sized records, like 12 inches (LP), 10 inches (78rpm records) and 7 inches (45rpm and EP records). Most changers can be operated in both automatic and manual modes (manual mode can play only 1 record at a time, without auto start but with auto return of the tone arm)

(2) Automatic Transcription Turntables: These TTs have auto start and auto stop, which is, when you push the start button, the platter starts off, the tonearm automatically takes off, lands on the record and starts playing it from the beginning. After playing the entire side, the tone arm returns to its base and the platter is turned off. These TTs also come with record size selectors for 12, 10 and 7 inches (generally 10 inches only if the TT has the 78 rpm option). Some TTs have added features like a selector to choose the number of times you want the side to repeat (common feature on Technics automatics).

Semi Automatic TT

Well, these TTs do not have to auto start function, so you'll have to start the platter off, lift the tone arm off its stand and place it on the record either manually or by using the lift function on your TT. The starting procedure is hence, completely manual. However once the record plays, the TT returns automatically to its base and the platter stops. This is why they are called semi-automatic TTs. The auto return feature is quite useful for those listening to music at night, just in case you doze off while listening (the auto return ensures that your tonearm returns to base automatically on completion of the side, and your platter turns off)

Manual

As the name-type suggests, both starting and stopping is manual, you'll have to place the stylus on the record manually and follow the reverse procedure manually when the side of the record is completely played. Nothing will start or stop by itself.

The key is to be a bit patient and watch out. It took me nearly a year to find my Technics DD TT. I had used a Technics belt drive in the interim. My honest opinion would be to prefer a semi-automatic.

Ground wire is an important part of any turntable as it helps to ground your TT with your amplifier chassis. This is nothing but an ordinary piece of wire with a wire tag. Can be easily put in place. If you try playing your TT without a ground wire, you'll hear all kinds of hum and noise. If a TT does not have one, all you would need to do is open the TT and connect one end of a wire to any part of the TT's chassis. The other end can be connected to your amplifier chassis (housing) and you have your ground wire :)

Last edited:
Automatic TT:

These are basically of 2 types, (1) record changers and (2) automatic transcription turntables.

(1) Changers: Changers are designed to play music seamlessly for longer periods of time (you dont have to get up and change the record side) so you stack up a few records and they keep playing till the chosen side of the entire stack of records is played. These changers have settings for different sized records, like 12 inches (LP), 10 inches (78rpm records) and 7 inches (45rpm and EP records). Most changers can be operated in both automatic and manual modes (manual mode can play only 1 record at a time, without auto start but with auto return of the tone arm)

(2) Automatic Transcription Turntables: These TTs have auto start and auto stop, which is, when you push the start button, the platter starts off, the tonearm automatically takes off, lands on the record and starts playing it from the beginning. After playing the entire side, the tone arm returns to its base and the platter is turned off. These TTs also come with record size selectors for 12, 10 and 7 inches (generally 10 inches only if the TT has the 78 rpm option). Some TTs have added features like a selector to choose the number of times you want the side to repeat (common feature on Technics automatics).

Semi Automatic TT

Well, these TTs do not have to auto start function, so you'll have to start the platter off, lift the tone arm off its stand and place it on the record either manually or by using the lift function on your TT. The starting procedure is hence, completely manual. However once the record plays, the TT returns automatically to its base and the platter stops. This is why they are called semi-automatic TTs. The auto return feature is quite useful for those listening to music at night, just in case you doze off while listening (the auto return ensures that your tonearm returns to base automatically on completion of the side, and your platter turns off)

Manual

As the name-type suggests, both starting and stopping is manual, you'll have to place the stylus on the record manually and follow the reverse procedure manually when the side of the record is completely played. Nothing will start or stop by itself.

The key is to be a bit patient and watch out. It took me nearly a year to find my Technics DD TT. I had used a Technics belt drive in the interim. My honest opinion would be to prefer a semi-automatic.

Ground wire is an important part of any turntable as it helps to ground your TT with your amplifier chassis. This is nothing but an ordinary piece of wire with a wire tag. Can be easily put in place.

Regarding SL 1300 I've read that there are some mechanical problems in cueing the tonearm on the surface..I asked a seller on ebay about this and he said that the best way to get over this problem is to use the TT manually...now sl 1300 is an automatic one..so can i still use it as a manual TT?

Regarding SL 1300 I've read that there are some mechanical problems in cueing the tonearm on the surface..I asked a seller on ebay about this and he said that the best way to get over this problem is to use the TT manually...now sl 1300 is an automatic one..so can i still use it as a manual TT?

My honest opinion is to completely avoid TTs that automatically start and place the stylus on the record. These can develop all kinds of issues and can even damage your LPs and stylus in not aligned properly. Semi automatics are safe and convenient but manual ones are the best. Personally, i prefer Semiautomatics.

My honest opinion is to completely avoid TTs that automatically start and place the stylus on the record. These can develop all kinds of issues and can even damage your LPs and stylus in not aligned properly. Semi automatics are safe and convenient but manual ones are the best. Personally, i prefer Semiautomatics.

Thanks..I got that part but what i'm asking is : if i choose to use an automatic TT manually (firstly, can i even do that?!), then isn't it the same as a manual TT?

Thanks..I got that part but what i'm asking is : if i choose to use an automatic TT manually (firstly, can i even do that?!), then isn't it the same as a manual TT?

Yes, if you use the automatic TT in manual mode, then its good as a semi-automatic TT (if auto return is included in the manual mode) or a pure manual TT.

Yes, as already stated, you can use an auto or semi-auto deck manually. You'll sometimes want to play specific tracks, rather than a whole side, anyway.

If you are not used to vinyl, or you don't have a steady hand anyway, do not underestimate the difficulty of positioning the stylus and lowering it gently, or raising it gently with absolutely no scratch-causing lateral movement. However much you may be charmed by the idea or the sound of vinyl LPs, there are very real practical problems and disadvantages to the medium, and learning about them can be frustrating and expensive. I would recommend a semi-automatic deck with a lever to raise/lower the arm.

One addition to reubensm's excellent summary: some semi-automatics just raise the arm at the end of the record. This avoids the additional mechanism of moving it back to its rest, but has the great advantage that you can dose in the euphoria of the music you just heard without having to get up to stop the chtick....chtick....chtick.

(There are lateral-motion decks, with sensors, that are almost as automatic as a CD player. You can even dial in track numbers! They are incredibly complex, electronically and mechanically, compared to the basically-simple mechanism of an ordinary deck. Mine lasted about 1/3rd the lifetime of the rest of the system that I bought at the same time. The Dual deck that replaced it is now 23 years old!)

Yes, as already stated, you can use an auto or semi-auto deck manually. You'll sometimes want to play specific tracks, rather than a whole side, anyway.

If you are not used to vinyl, or you don't have a steady hand anyway, do not underestimate the difficulty of positioning the stylus and lowering it gently, or raising it gently with absolutely no scratch-causing lateral movement. However much you may be charmed by the idea or the sound of vinyl LPs, there are very real practical problems and disadvantages to the medium, and learning about them can be frustrating and expensive. I would recommend a semi-automatic deck with a lever to raise/lower the arm.

One addition to reubensm's excellent summary: some semi-automatics just raise the arm at the end of the record. This avoids the additional mechanism of moving it back to its rest, but has the great advantage that you can dose in the euphoria of the music you just heard without having to get up to stop the chtick....chtick....chtick.

(There are lateral-motion decks, with sensors, that are almost as automatic as a CD player. You can even dial in track numbers! They are incredibly complex, electronically and mechanically, compared to the basically-simple mechanism of an ordinary deck. Mine lasted about 1/3rd the lifetime of the rest of the system that I bought at the same time. The Dual deck that replaced it is now 23 years old!)

Okay. Thanks a lot.

But i have a sort of silly sounding doubt..In an automatic TT, as soon as you press the start button, the tonearm automatically moves towards the platter right..Now how does one use this as a manual TT? Something will have to be done to stop the tonearm from moving automatically as soon as the button is pressed right? Or is there a knob which u can use to switch between auto and manual mode?

Okay. Thanks a lot.

But i have a sort of silly sounding doubt..In an automatic TT, as soon as you press the start button, the tonearm automatically moves towards the platter right..Now how does one use this as a manual TT? Something will have to be done to stop the tonearm from moving automatically as soon as the button is pressed right? Or is there a knob which u can use to switch between auto and manual mode?

When you choose the manual mode, the tone arm will stop moving automatically to the platter. You will either have to place the arm manually or cue it using the lift mechanism depending on the features available with the automatic TT. There is usually a switch to change the auto mode to manual.

Suggest you google some pictures of automatic turntables and take a look at the controls. Better still if you can download the user manuals of a few automatic turntables and take a look, you'll get clearly illustrated info.

However from experience, automatics are very convenient to use, but the flip side is they have complex mechanisms and electronics (in some cases). Servicing these or repairing these is generally not easy. The simpler, the better!!

...And avoid auto changers. You never want to drop your vinyls on top of one another, and it probably is not good that the playing surface height, and thus the stylus angle, changes each time. Actually, I thought they went out with shellac!

Also in some automatic turntables where you don't have an automatic/ manual selector switch, to play it manually, you just need to place the tonearm on the record, without hitting the start/ stop button. Once you manually place the tonearm over the record, it will start spinning itself.

Regards,
Saket

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back