A preamp is joining the party soon!

Thanks Bhagwan, for the kind words!

i am changing 'taar' and usb cable soon!

moving towards Supra for both! I like the Supra Lo Rad 2.5 fi a lot as it is a decent cable at a not too atrocious price. I quite like their USB cable too. It's nicely built.

For the speaker to preamp cables, I am looking either towards Mogami, or any other studio grade cable. As this is going to be XLR and too much fuss is really not required, as long as the cable is well built with good copper.

Not to question your point but to my knowledge JRiver is bit perfect on Mac and PC - there should be no difference.
Then I tunes should work on a PC too;

Yes, it does.
The question is how does it sound ?

On a MAC - Play I Tunes with Amara / Pure Music or any other.
On a PC - Play J River / Foobar / J Play

These are just my observations;;;

If all players are 'bit perfect'
Why do they all sound different ?

:D

It's worth noting that the FooBar developers say ...they don't!

But even I find that hard to accept! especially if any change in sample rate is involved. Bottom line is that it is all maths ...but maybe some people have better methods of doing the sums!

Of course, my signature still applies...

Foo bar or jriver... The debate is endless... At the moment I am happy with jriver on the mac... Will try pure music and compare once the preamp comes in!

Then I tunes should work on a PC too;

Yes, it does.
The question is how does it sound ?

On a MAC - Play I Tunes with Amara / Pure Music or any other.
On a PC - Play J River / Foobar / J Play

These are just my observations;;;

:D

Players might be sending the right bits. But are they sending the right bits at the right time? That is the primary difference. Most digital domain errors are timing errors.

Two issues matter basically - the computer's clock stability and any noise output into usb.

Foo bar or jriver... The debate is endless...

Yes;
But that applies only to PC's [Foobar or J River]
Not in the Mac World.
The Debate in the Mac World is Amara or Pure Music - this is where the differences lie.
Since you are on a MAC - I Tunes should be your default playback interface & then shuttle between the A & P then decide what suits you - just my 2 cents worth...
;)

The Debate in the Mac World is Amara or Pure Music -
;)

and audirvana, i use audirvana because they had a free version and it is more user friendly than the hopeless itunes and really expensive and overrated Amara, overall i feel the popular understanding that mac is better as an audio source is just overrated because personally even after owning mac's for many years i still prefer windows 7 PC with foobar. :)

http://audirvana.com/

Last edited:
These are my 'personal' observations;
Not any rule. So take them in accordance with your appetite for audio indulgences.

a]
PC Platform.

Use Windows 8
Use J Play - 2 Machines
Use Foobar with J Play
Use J River with J Play
Use Foobar
Use J River

b]
MAC Platform

Use I Tunes as the playback interface
Pure Music
CHANNEL D - Pure Music
Amarra
Sonic Studio Amarra Music Players

I have not played / tried the others - so cannot comment on their performance.

Stated above is / are things that I have done & used & come to the conclusion as stated.
I re-reiterate these are MY Personal Preferences & not binding on any person.:rolleyes:

I have put them in the order of how I like them - best to worst.

Coming back to the topic, yesterday Capt. Rajesh was over, while I don't have a preamp, I still played music using the w4s's pre amp section. I think e enjoyed his time here. More from him...

It is with great sadness that I write this post... It seems that I have been conned by a seller in Poland and I guess I am not going to get my Nagra pre amp...

I am now looking at other options... I do not know how I am going to get a preamp in a truncated budget as I have lost a lot of money on the Nagra deal...

I just hope my stuff in the for sale section sells fast...

Hey Malvai, This is indeed such bad news..
Just a little curious..was this an audiogon seller ?
Hoping for the best..

Indeed its very sad.
Excuse me if this is not the right time but if possible,
Could you please explain in detail that how this deal has gone bad, may be this can save another FM from getting conned by fraudulent sellers.

awwwww.....

thats hurts... even reading....

am sorry...

so you dont have any pre amp now ??

there is an AP pre amp in delhi side on the forum... try that for a stop gap...

as a person who has been thru a few setups... the options would be in front of you..

rgds

That's very unfortunate and sad. Do you have any other recourse, like Paypal claim?

if he is an audiogon seller... you can talk to audiogon and see what best can be done that is if the sale is under the umbrella of audiogon and not beyond.

do put up his audiogon handle name anyway...

for folks like us to be wary of.

rgds

Guys, he is an audiogon seller... We did a transaction outside of audiogon and PayPal as it was supposed to be a part trade-in with a phono amp that I have... The money was transferred to this guys's partner's account in Spain.

On receipt of the Nagra I was supposed to send in the phono amp...

Anyhow, it's been over 2 months since I sent the money and it seems these two fellows have sent me a receipt that is photoshopped to look like the product was sent to me but on contacting the Spanish courier company the package has already reached its destination in Mali!!!!!

If you guys ever buy from a'gon avoid these two sellers:
1. Augustyn Rutowsky from Poland , seller goes buy the moniker of witheath.
2. His partner is called Andreo Lamert and is from Spain

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back