A simple Audiophile Headphone Suggestion

music4mhell

Hello Guys,

Now because of this Mojo, now i am thinking of buying a good Open back headphone.

I have Sennheiser HD650 and Audeze EL-8 in my mind.

Will you please suggest which one will give better sound, you can suggest some other headphone with neutral sound.

Thanks in advance.

I googled the prices after I posted .. so you have a lot of options.

The ones that you have selected are not bad based on reviews but I dont have personal experience in that price range and hence whatever I say would be based on reviews I have read. So dont think that would help much. :)

Yes that's on my list, but x2 is a bit coloured :sad:

Yes, i agree its on warmer side. But i thoroughly enjoyed music on it. Listened to it only once though!

I have HD800 (listened so far without a suitable amp) which is brilliant in detail but very different from X2. From what i read about it everywhere it scales up greatly based on the input chain.

Haven't heard HD600 or 650 so far!

Yes, i agree its on warmer side. But i thoroughly enjoyed music on it. Listened to it only once though!

I have HD800 (listened so far without a suitable amp) which is brilliant in detail but very different from X2. From what i read about it everywhere it scales up greatly based on the input chain.

Haven't heard HD600 or 650 so far!

M going to audition HD800 / 700/ 650 this weekend to Sennheiser B'lore showroom.

Let see which is best value for money :)

Thanks for input buddy.

But no1 is talking abt planar magnetic headphones like Audeze or Hifiman.

I recently got AKG 712, It is pretty good, I think detail resolution

would be better than HD 600/650/700

It cost 21K, check out Audio Technica R80 and MSR7

MSR7 has good reviews and reasonable price

Robert Bose

I recently got AKG 712, It is pretty good, I think detail resolution

would be better than HD 600/650/700

It cost 21K, check out Audio Technica R80 and MSR7

MSR7 has good reviews and reasonable price

Robert Bose

HD 650 is 300 Ohm and 712 is 62 ohms only.
also HD 700 is at 70K around. It's considered as one of the best Headphone of world.

How can you say AKG 712 is better than 800 :sad:

It's good, i have read it, but you are comparing Toyota Corolla to Mercedes E class.:eek:hyeah:

Why dont you look at the Oppo headphones, though you may have to buy them blind? They seem to have given the same love and quality as they gave their players. All reviews are +ve.

Cheers

M going to audition HD800 / 700/ 650 this weekend to Sennheiser B'lore showroom.

Let see which is best value for money :)

Thanks for input buddy.

But no1 is talking abt planar magnetic headphones like Audeze or Hifiman.

Do carry your dac/amp to pair with them and listen. That would give you best idea of what you are going to get.

Would be interested to know your feedback on chord pairing with HD800 :)

The reason with planars might be because only serious headphiles get them as most of us would start with dynamic headphones. I haven't heard a planar till date personally so can't give you any feedback on them.

But i do agree with Venkat, the oppos got good reviews and they are planar too!

Do carry your dac/amp to pair with them and listen. That would give you best idea of what you are going to get.

Would be interested to know your feedback on chord pairing with HD800 :)

The reason with planars might be because only serious headphiles get them as most of us would start with dynamic headphones. I haven't heard a planar till date personally so can't give you any feedback on them.

But i do agree with Venkat, the oppos got good reviews and they are planar too!

This is the reason am looking for Planar Magnetic.
I don't want to upgrade after 1 year.

I was thinking of buying Audeze LCD2 .. but it's not at all portable with their military grade suitcase :(

So i am thinking of lower model Audeze EL-8.

Let's see i will mostly buy either HD650/HD800/EL-8 ...

I will only use Headphones in my office. For home i have Genelecs :D So i need to think abt portability aspect first.

Last edited:
This is the reason am looking for Planar Magnetic.
I don't want to upgrade after 1 year.

I was thinking of buying Audeze LCD2 .. but it's not at all portable with their military grade suitcase :(

So i am thinking of lower model Audeze EL-8.

Let's see i will mostly buy either HD650/HD800/EL-8 ...

I will only use Headphones in my office. For home i have Genelecs :D So i need to think abt portability aspect first.

Sure. But be aware that they are definitely colored as well :) There was a good deal on hifiads for LCD2 but think it is sold now.

Almost all these models you are looking for are open back, is it not a problem if the sound leaks at work?

If you want future proof, then atleast try LCD2 than EL-8. You can also maybe explore Hifiman. Hifinage gives best price for them in India as far as I know.

Good luck with your purchase. Something like HD800 definitely has lot of upscale capability :)

Cheers
Satya

1. edited

2. Impedance has no relation to quality. It is a technical parameter.

3. HD 650 and AKG 712 Pro are in the same league. They are different flavours. HD 650 has its strengths, most in its favor. In terms of detail retrieval AKG 712 Pro will equal the Senn or even beat it when you're talking of an entry level desktop amp. With Mid Fi both should be comparable. With HiFi HD 650 may be better. That is > USD 1000 amps plus tax plus shipping.

4. HD 700 is better than HD 650 but not worth the price.

5. HD 800 is better still.

6. HD 650 is the sweet spot. HD 650 probably scales as much if not more than HD 800. But HD 800 is audibly better but both have their own flavours.

7. The difference between HD 650 and HD 800 side by side isn't huge. It is audible. But not huge. The soundstage difference may be huge though.

8. I would recommend you HD 650 or HD 800, based on your budget.

Last edited:
Sure. But be aware that they are definitely colored as well :) There was a good deal on hifiads for LCD2 but think it is sold now.

Almost all these models you are looking for are open back, is it not a problem if the sound leaks at work?

If you want future proof, then atleast try LCD2 than EL-8. You can also maybe explore Hifiman. Hifinage gives best price for them in India as far as I know.

Good luck with your purchase. Something like HD800 definitely has lot of upscale capability :)

Cheers
Satya

Thanks for inputs. Open backs have best soundstage :)
I don't care if my neighbors in office are listening to my songs :D

I was considering Hifiman HE400S, but didn't find best reviews.

What i am thinking, i will start with HD650 for office use and later i will buy the LCD-2 for home use, cause i can't carry LCD-2 to my office in my bag everyday :(

1. edited

2. Impedance has no relation to quality. It is a technical parameter.

3. HD 650 and AKG 712 Pro are in the same league. They are different flavours. HD 650 has its strengths, most in its favor. In terms of detail retrieval AKG 712 Pro will equal the Senn or even beat it when you're talking of an entry level desktop amp. With Mid Fi both should be comparable. With HiFi HD 650 may be better. That is > USD 1000 amps plus tax plus shipping.

4. HD 700 is better than HD 650 but not worth the price.

5. HD 800 is better still.

6. HD 650 is the sweet spot. HD 650 probably scales as much if not more than HD 800. But HD 800 is audibly better but both have their own flavours.

7. The difference between HD 650 and HD 800 side by side isn't huge. It is audible. But not huge. The soundstage difference may be huge though.

8. I would recommend you HD 650 or HD 800, based on your budget.

Thanks a lot for your insights.
I have similar thinking. Also i can read everywhere that Mojo+HD650 is a very good pair.

So for starting i will go for HD650 for my office and then i will go for one planar magnetic like LCD2 for home :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back