A slight change of course - setting up a headphone rig

cool - if you are considering building ehaa, it makes the decision easier for me :eek:hyeah: what is the time frame you are looking at and where would you be ordering the kit from? Will you diy or take help from some professional? I was thinking of using the person who repaired my TT.

Electrostatic amps can't be used for dynamic headphones so you can rule them out.

EHHA can be built in balanced mode but it would double the costs.

Yes Sir, I have seen the light. I am a devout ortho believer now. :)

I am selling one of my orthos ( Fostex T20v2 ) to fund my own build of EHHA. Let me know if interested.

hi anm - i think you are going the wrong way -

headphones (the best of the lot) should only be used as a confirmatory system-

confirmation that your (two-way) loudspeaker system is up there with the best.

regds

hi anm - i think you are going the wrong way -

headphones (the best of the lot) should only be used as a confirmatory system-

confirmation that your (two-way) loudspeaker system is up there with the best.

regds

I don't necessarily feel this to be the case. A headphone system, if executed properly upon, can give just as much of a hifi experience as a fully blown speaker rig. Though, both approach audio completely differently, a high resolution headphone system is very viable. I personally know people who have NO SPACE or FINANCIAL CONSTRAINTS who choose to listen through headphones over regular hifi systems.

It's a diverse hobby and a person may choose to go either way with it. There really is no right or wrong approach, only paths that lead to musical bliss.

In fact, I would personally much rather have an enriched headphone listening experience if I have ANY issues that won't let me fully realize a 2 channel speaker system. If you're going to do it, the PURSUIT of doing it right is more important.

My headphone rig , IMHO, totally outclasses my speaker rig (Marantz AVR - 4003 & Tannoy Mercury Customs F1). I know its only entry level, but it is still much more expensive than my headphone rig.

I guess the neutrality/microdynamics and the tonal quality that a good headphone rig brings in cannot be discounted, it is the the scale and the Macrodynamics whch I find lacking in Head Phones.

Also in some way or the other the voices come from inside or near the head while i prefer them 5ft+ away.

Of course I do not have the best of Headphones ..a Bayer Dynamic DT990 on the Lebens headphone output.

990 is one of the hi end headphones I think! Not sure about the leben's headphone out. I think my hk 6550 hp out is pretty damn good too.

Has anyone compared the AKG K701,702 vs HD 600 vs HD650 and if yes please share your thoughts on the same.
I have the HD600 and i find a bit bright but quite neutral, having heard the HD650 only once(which i faintly remember) and the AKG not even once any info will be helpful.

Reason for the question : planning to pick up the HD650 or AKG 702 in a couple of days.

Pardon me for asking a question which might not be inline to this thread,hope the OP wont mind.

For me realistic Imaging and Soundstaging depth and width is what I miss the most with headphones, other than that it will take a pretty high end system to match a decent headphone based system. In fact I have yet to hear any system that can match the presence or detail retrieval of a high end HP based system. I used to have a senn 650 which I drove with a headroom micro, but am planning to get back into it for those times that I cant listen to my rig. I plan to audition the GradoPS1000 & Senn. HD800 pretty soon.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
^^ The Grado PS-1000 is a POS headphone IMHO..no subtle way of putting it.

As for the HD800, my Fostex thunderpants beat it convincingly in everything except for soundstage and imaging. The Fostex is a bit handicapped here cause of its closed nature.

However, the headphone i have now on my head will walk all over the HD800. The Audez'e LCD-2 is just phenomenal. I want one so bad..no monies :(

As for how good a headphone system can sound, well I have been around my share of high end speaker systems and headphone systems alike. The fidelity level that you get from a headphone system that can be had for a modest amount cannot be matched by a speaker system without some serious financial investment.

That said, I am first and foremost a speaker person. I got into headphones purely cause my living situation doesn't allow for speakers ( I already got a formal written warning by my landlord :p ). I can't live without speakers but till my living situation changes to allow speaker usage headphones it is. However, i can't live without headphones either now. They both have their place.

It is true that the headphones cannot match the soundstage of speaker but the detail & intimacy of headphone listening has its own place.
And importantly for me they are free of room /neighbour factors.

anm said:
What is your headphone rig
For music : it is Yamaha YH-2 modded orthodynamic headphones powered by Xonar STX.

@Sachi : Don't mention the LCD-2, it just hurts. I had decided that I shall purchase them but the final price is just beyond me. :(

Last edited:
Another problem of buying high end head phones is the method of driving them which is additional cost so a $1200 phones set up will add - what another $700-800 to drive them with a decent dedicated amp. Of -course one can go higher but I am just referring to the cost of a headroom desktop.
Like speakers I understand that headphone sound is quite subjective so I will plan to listen to all the phones - in the above $1k range before I take the plunge. I kinda liked the 650's so I am curious to audition the 800's as well.
Cheers
Sid

that is so true. And then the cables!

Another problem of buying high end head phones is the method of driving them which is additional cost so a $1200 phones set up will add - what another $700-800 to drive them with a decent dedicated amp. Of -course one can go higher but I am just referring to the cost of a headroom desktop.
Like speakers I understand that headphone sound is quite subjective so I will plan to listen to all the phones - in the above $1k range before I take the plunge. I kinda liked the 650's so I am curious to audition the 800's as well.
Cheers
Sid

how much these lcd cost? :eek:

^^ The Grado PS-1000 is a POS headphone IMHO..no subtle way of putting it.

As for the HD800, my Fostex thunderpants beat it convincingly in everything except for soundstage and imaging. The Fostex is a bit handicapped here cause of its closed nature.

However, the headphone i have now on my head will walk all over the HD800. The Audez'e LCD-2 is just phenomenal. I want one so bad..no monies :(

As for how good a headphone system can sound, well I have been around my share of high end speaker systems and headphone systems alike. The fidelity level that you get from a headphone system that can be had for a modest amount cannot be matched by a speaker system without some serious financial investment.

That said, I am first and foremost a speaker person. I got into headphones purely cause my living situation doesn't allow for speakers ( I already got a formal written warning by my landlord :p ). I can't live without speakers but till my living situation changes to allow speaker usage headphones it is. However, i can't live without headphones either now. They both have their place.

990 is one of the hi end headphones I think! Not sure about the leben's headphone out. I think my hk 6550 hp out is pretty damn good too.

thats what my research told me. I heard it in UK and bought it..thought it sounded better than the Senn 650 on their setup (could not try the AKG 701)

The Leben CS series headphone out is suppsed to be very good..as per Headphone.org some folks have this purely for the headphone out ( :rolleyes: ). but it is not really great synergy with the DT990.. the AKG701 may just be better as the Bass is too much at higher volumes (Bass is one of the stronger features of the DT990)

But I have not taken to having an headphone on my head and a soundstage around my head very well..I still prefer the presentation of the laid back nature and the soundstage far behind the speakers...also the Physical impact of the Midbass is something I really miss with them

I own the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm & along with the HD580 it is the best dynamic headphone I have heard.
They are both excellent & have great overall balance. The beyer has better treble extension & doesn't have the mid bass hump of senns. The HD580s otoh have richer midrange, especially with male vocals & the base impact is better.
Since, I am more of a mid-range person so I like the senn more by a hair.

But then the orthos do the mid-range much better than anything else I have heard & after some simple mods they are not at all lacking in other departments.

The orthos have made me interested in planar technology & I would love to listen some planar speakers. Anyone knows a place where I can audition them ?

^^Its $945/-

So, I have decided I am getting one of these, my ortho brother. Nearly have all the funds necessary for it. :yahoo:

For those who are curious about this headphone, for those who are considering the HD800 or Beyer T1 or any such high end (blech) dynamic headphone, here's my take on the Audez'e LCD-2. My first review ever. I hate writing reviews...clearly you can see I didn't enjoy writing this one :p :rolleyes:

I think I may have mistaken some other instrument for the Ghatam in the Indian classical piece i used in the review. Also i think its the Northh Indian version of the Mridangam that is used in the track. Forget what it is called..need to look into this later.

Oh..one more note of interest, the Audez'e LCD-2 has an Indian brain behind the engineering.:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back