A Stereo amplifier?

philistine

Hi all,

I've been browsing through this forum for a long time now, trying to decide what options I have for setting up a separates system.
All my previous experience with music was over a kenwood mini-hifi system and of late (4-5 years) through my laptop and comp. speakers. Visiting a friend with a separates set-up has opened my eyes and more importantly ears to quality music. :)

I have looked at AVR's for a long time now and the more and more I read I am beginning to like the idea of having a stereo set-up only(Quality over quantity so to speak). My interest is mostly music throughout the week with an odd movie here and there(I don't worry too much about surround sound and moreover space constraints, 10x15ft room).

Was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction to help me buy that first hifi system. I have a budget of about INR 25K for integrated amp and another INR 20-25k for speakers (I love the way floorstanders look but bookshelves should be just fine). My starting list for amps is the following:
1. Marantz PM6002/3
2. Cambridge Audio Azur 650A
3. NAD C326BEE
4. Pioneer A-A6

Are these easily available in Bangalore (hometown: love it!) or Mumbai (I frequently travel to). Can you also suggest me price for these?

My primary source of music is going to be through my laptop but I will invest in a quality CD/DVD system if you think it will even further improve my experience.

Please drop in your thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Hi
Everything is available in bangalore.
For the budget a marantz or Nad amp is a safe bet. Need not buy the 'latest' entrant if u are getting a deal on the one thats on its way out as not too much changes in these SS amps.
Why not first buy the speakers u like? Audition them with both the above amps and choose the combo thats HIFI to your ears.
Lastly in the 20/25 K allocated budget u should have quite a few decent options in book shelf speakers but IMO u will be hard pressed to come up with good floor standers. FStanders are tough to place anyway and in a 150 sft room u are better of with a SM
Good luck in the search/research as that too is part of the fun.
Rgds

Dinyaar, thanks for the quick reply, it's much appreciated.
I will audition them indeed. i assume that ARN systems @ Frazer town have the marantz to audition but where can I audition the NAD? Also, do you think if it makes sense for me to get this from Dubai as my friend is dropping by in two weeks?

Cheers

Also, do you think i am doing the right thing by looking at a stereo amp for my preferences. I think I am, but I just need someone to tell me this :eek:

Dinyaar, thanks for the quick reply, it's much appreciated.
I will audition them indeed. i assume that ARN systems @ Frazer town have the marantz to audition but where can I audition the NAD? Also, do you think if it makes sense for me to get this from Dubai as my friend is dropping by in two weeks?

Cheers

Yes ARN is a super place to start for sure. Shridhar (odyssey on this forum) is an active participant in here. I dont know the brands they stock though. Am sure the bglore guys will guide u better on pricing & availability.
I think Dubai will surely be cheaper but the hassle of lugging it and the possibility of duty. I know sgpore is definately worth the trouble, am not too sure of dubai rates.
Rgds

Also, do you think i am doing the right thing by looking at a stereo amp for my preferences. I think I am, but I just need someone to tell me this :eek:

YES YES YES
CDP + INTEGRATED + BOOK SHELVES best bet for a sweet sounding system in a smallish room.
The occasional Movie can be watched by connecting thru AUX on the amp. Naturally u will only get sound in stereo.
Rgds

As Dinyaar has already answered your queries, lemme answer your Blr specific queries Marantz & I believe Nad are available at ARN.

Nad if its not there at ARN it should be there at absolute Phase at Cubbon rd for the address click the banner at the top of this page.

For Cambridge Audio you can check out Audio Planet behind BDA complex Koramangala.

ARN has Monitor Audio BR2,Dali Lektor, Usher S520 speakers which are all at around the 25k budget.

Audio Planet has Mordaunt Short Avant & may be the new Aviano 2 bookshelves which wud be in your budget.

Tannoy F1 would be available at Vasanth Ngr the details contact no etc I wud PM you tomorrow its somewhere in my mobile.

PSB Image & Alpha bookshelves wud also be in your budget their contact no also wud be PMed to you tomo .

Forum favorite wharfedale available at Vector Systems near Eva mall Brigade rd.

Hope this helps :D

Happy Hunting
Rem

Hi all,

I've been browsing through this forum for a long time now, trying to decide what options I have for setting up a separates system.
All my previous experience with music was over a kenwood mini-hifi system and of late (4-5 years) through my laptop and comp. speakers. Visiting a friend with a separates set-up has opened my eyes and more importantly ears to quality music. :)

I have looked at AVR's for a long time now and the more and more I read I am beginning to like the idea of having a stereo set-up only(Quality over quantity so to speak). My interest is mostly music throughout the week with an odd movie here and there(I don't worry too much about surround sound and moreover space constraints, 10x15ft room).

Was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction to help me buy that first hifi system. I have a budget of about INR 25K for integrated amp and another INR 20-25k for speakers (I love the way floorstanders look but bookshelves should be just fine). My starting list for amps is the following:
1. Marantz PM6002/3
2. Cambridge Audio Azur 650A
3. NAD C326BEE
4. Pioneer A-A6

Are these easily available in Bangalore (hometown: love it!) or Mumbai (I frequently travel to). Can you also suggest me price for these?

My primary source of music is going to be through my laptop but I will invest in a quality CD/DVD system if you think it will even further improve my experience.

Please drop in your thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Hi Phil:

Am happy you're the stereo way.

You've had excellent advise from the stereo guru himself 'Dinyaar'.

I'll add my humble opinion too. For your budget you cannot go wrong with these...

Marantz PM6002 + Diamond 9.1/10.1
CA 650A + MS Aviano 1/2
NAD 326 + MA BR2

:)

In case you want to speak to Kavish of Viola, his contact number is 9821064536
and shop number is 022-26121112

I hope the numbers have not changed

sorry had a problem with my broadband and i am just back into hifivision.
Cheers, thanks for the info. I'll try and audition all the combinations.

Viola in Mumbai is selling Marantz 7001 amps for 22k (and they will ship to Bangalore), that may be an option worth considering.

Thts really gud news Psycho the ol PM7001 infact is better than the new 7003 atleast spec wise the ol one is better. I hvnt heard the new one though.

Psycho any idea the Aviano 2 bS gonna cost thk Aviano 1 atleast shud be within your budget.

Last edited:
I am not likely to consider the Aviano line, since this weekend I am going to listen to the Ushers and make a final decision. Anyway, the Mordaunt Short speakers were not in shortlist. While this might be an improvement on the Avant, I don't see anything to suggest it would be in the league of the Ushers.

Thts really gud news Psycho the ol PM7001 infact is better than the new 7003 atleast spec wise the ol one is better. I hvnt heard the new one though.

Psycho any idea the Aviano 2 bS gonna cost thk Aviano 1 atleast shud be within your budget.

Red Carpets spread out for you at Madivala/Railway station/New airport.

If you are coming via flight let me just tell you that Hyderabad is closer to the airport than Bangalore city.

Flight time from Chennai-Blr 45mins

Travel time from Airport to Blr 2hrs :D

hehe yes, on work i fly to bangalore quite regularly. But since this is personal i'll probably take a train or bus. Since the wife is not coming along and i don't fancy driving uninterrupted for 5+ hours, i am not driving.

Sorry for going wildly off topic!

Red Carpets spread out for you at Madivala/Railway station/New airport.

If you are coming via flight let me just tell you that Hyderabad is closer to the airport than Bangalore city.

Flight time from Chennai-Blr 45mins

Travel time from Airport to Blr 2hrs :D

OP I also thk that you should consider Marantz 7001 in your purchase decision this by all means is better than the 6003 and I personally believe is better than the new 7003

Psycho have send a PM to you so that we dont go completely off topic.

Cressida tells me that the Aviano will be available in their store in about 2 weeks.

Hai Psycho,

Yesterday I spoke to Hometalkies, at Vadapalani they have Aviano for Audition , but the person told me that since they are doing their interiors, will call me back after a couple of days.

N.Murali

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back