A treat for the Pune audiophiles 12-14 October 2017, Conrad

Someone said to me a long time ago - the price of a product is not cost + margins but what the buyer is willing to pay. Classic examples are Bose speakers.

Sir, context...
I did not understand.. Your post..
Please do shed some light.
Bose to Andrew Jones and Elac and Denon etc.
It's a mini audio show in Pune... Bose is not even here..
Shall appreciate an explanation.
Regards,

Sir, context...
I did not understand.. Your post..
Please do shed some light.
Bose to Andrew Jones and Elac and Denon etc.
It's a mini audio show in Pune... Bose is not even here..
Shall appreciate an explanation.
Regards,

I was replying to mpw post about cost.

i did not understand either - this cryptic language.

anyways - better to not divert from the subject and stick to it.

For Mr Jones - i would have a few questions form the management of costs perspective..especially manufacturing things for a price point and why cant India be a low cost source for speakers since we do have Peerless in India for drivers..

how does one "go by the ear" at one point and what is the relevance of data plots for low cost speakers..

and the reverse question for - cost no object - speakers ?

This was what i replied too from the cost point of view. I strongly feel its relevant. Again its my personal opinion. If the moderator thinks its not relevant then they can delete all my post. Thanks.

Last edited:
Met Mr Jones today.
Took a few pics.
Did talk with him.
Very interesting...
My 3rd meeting with him.
Lots of stories and industry news.
Look forward to 2 more days with him.
Great opportunity... Gifted individual for sure....
Who all going today & tomorrow?
I am planning tomorrow

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Who all going today & tomorrow?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

In case you haven't gone thru all previous messages... Some members have have posted which dates they intend to visit... Read post#7 onwards (I plan to visit today in Afternoon)

Regards,

This was what i replied too from the cost point of view. I strongly feel its relevant. Again its my personal opinion. If the moderator thinks its not relevant then they can delete all my post. Thanks.

Hi Hari
Good to hear from you! It's been a long time. Can you visit this event today /tomorrow?. Would love to catch up with you. Let me know...

Regards,

I had a quick visit today. I am NOT an "qualified Audiophile" just a simple layman who enjoys " Good sounds" so please bear with my amateurish comments. -I was simply blown away with the Totem display. More specifically their book shelf and their Two floorstanders (They also had a 7.2 or 9.2 HT system.)

I have no idea of the model numbers, the room was quite crowded, but the Gentleman conducting the session mentioned the bookshelves are priced around $1850 in the US and the " Floorstanders" measuring all of 2.5/3 Ft and about 4 " Wide and maybe 4" Depth priced around $2200 - delivered a performance that defies it size - two cones of about 3" and a tweeter..... the second Floorstander ( also similarly sized but with tapering broader bottom)is priced around $5500. Amazingly he shifted the speakers mid-play in different directions but the sound stage seemed to vary very little.
They were using a Denon CD transport and a (Denon ) Hegel amplifire.

I hope to go back tomorrow with a couple of my CDs to try and get an audition.

Last edited:
The USD 1850 pair would be Totem Sky.

Supposed to be a remarkable speaker.

Is the Totem Rainmaker or Dreamcatcher part of the demo ?

The Totem Arro is supposed to play very well given its small dimensions

Have liked Totem speakers for long

The second floorstander that "jbgude" referred to is a new model from their Tribe series -Totem Tribe Tower Speaker.

The Totem sales manager, Mr. Joe, did a unique demo. In the middle of the song he turned the speakers away from the ideal toe in position. Turning the speakers by around 30 degrees inward or outward had hardly any effect on the soundstage or clarity and separation of the music. Both Sonosphere and myself spontaneously burst into applause at the end of that demo.

Mr. Joe revealed that the speaker has a second order crossover with borosilicate coating on the insides of the cabinet.

I was mighty impressed with the Tribe floorstanders. But they will be way to costly for my limited budget.:mad::mad:

All the Totem speakers were punching above their size. The sceret is in the borosilicate coating that makes them sound as if coming from a much larger box.

Last edited:

Is the Totem Rainmaker or Dreamcatcher part of the demo ?

Totem Rainmaker were there, but not connected for demo when me and Sridhar were there in 2nd half. I plan to visit again tomorrow and request them to demo them.

Regarding Totem Tribe floor standing speaker mentioned in Sridhar's post# 32, Jbgude's description in post#30...

This speaker is one of those items one finds in a Hi-fi show, that remains in your memory for the "dumbstruck moment of disbelief" it creates during demo. Pardon me if I sound like a fanboy in description below (though I am not... I am a self confessed Usher Fanboy :eek:hyeah:)

1. the woofer in this speaker is not more than 4 inch diameter however it sounded going as low as 40Hz. I have not seen any "main stream" floors standing speaker having 4inch woofer.

2. Not only it went so low, it also went very loud ( I would say SPL of 95 dB at 1 Mtr)

3. This speaker is of such small volume that it would be exaggeration to call it even a slimline FS. How do you generate bass so low and so loud, in so less volume? It defies my meagre understanding of physics.

4. Another jaw-dropping moment came when the speaker was turned around on its vertical axis (as Sridhar said .. by almost 30 degrees), while it was being played, there was hardly any difference in soundstage.

5. Since the speaker is coming from Totem, all usual superlatives regarding quality of sound apply by default, so I wouldn't elaborate on them.

All the description above would look incomplete if no photo is attached. However I am facing difficulty in merging photo in this message hence pasting link below that shows photo of Totem Tribe floor standing speaker. (In case Mods don't approve of this link , kindly delete this link)

Totem Launches Two New Loudspeakers, the Totem SKY Tower Speaker and Totem Tribe Tower Speaker | NOVO Magazine
The white speaker at the bottom of above webpage is the Totem Tribe Floor standing speaker.

Any audio enthusiast in or around Pune, must listen to this speaker. Tomorrow is last day of this event.
Regards,

Hi, its open till about 3, but yes you can go listen is what was told when I called to check. Vivek

I attended one.. that was a dealer meet. After 15 min i came out. No proper information anywhere. Bad days planned.. people r free on sat n sun.. they kept on thu n fri... anf then sat half day that too for dealer...disappointed

Sent from Note5

Sorry about that Amit. I was audio enthu and tried to help. I am listening to Getz-Almeida on my kids JBL GO which I brought to work and swinging away. Vivek

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back