A very basic question on bass reproduction from Floor Standers

John,

For that kind of shipping cost, it's not worth it. Considering the speakers are made next door in China, I don't know why Hsu hasn't set up a distributor in India and gotten their inventory from across the border.

Of the other options you listed, my choice would be Kef speakers. Any of their Q series, which has the tweeter in the middle of the woofer, give terrific soundstage and imaging. Their bookshelf speakers don't have as much bass as the Hsu bookshelves, but that won't be a problem since you've got that part covered with subwoofers.

I had a chat with HSU tech support and they said if you have TT in your stereo setup, then they recommend VTF-15H compared to ULS-15. This is what they had to say

"If you are using a turntable, you may be better off using the 15H for both, and set the 15H to two ports open, EQ2, Q=0.3 for LPs. Too much ultra low bass can cause severe acoustic feedback for vinyl."

John,

Have you thought about buying just speakers from Hsu and subwoofer kit from Rhythmik? I believe subwoofers are heavy and that's probably contributing most to shipping cost. In Rhythmik's case, its just the driver and amp, so it can be lower for shipping.

John,

Adding more reinforcement to what Murali said. You have one fundamental problem. Speakers are too far from you. If speakers are about 7 ft apart, you cannot sit more than 9 ft from the speakers. It just does not work ! However, if you just want quantity of bass, you can connect the system to a large subwoofer and keep the subwoofer beside your seat ;). It will all be a non-connected mess though :eek:

I get it man.

But you know what, I am getting some interesting results with some serious auditions that happened in last 2 days with different components. I will update all the details. Just a sneak peek

1. Added AP NJ1 power amp.
2. Got 100 hr factory burned in speaker cables and a pair of ICs from Mr Murthy.
3. Got a home audition of Dared SL2000A tube pre with AP NJ1. Really like to thank Mr Chacko from Analog Audion labs for offering the home audition for a long time. We had a great listening session.
4. Added Oppo-93 as the source compared to basic Sony DVD player.
5. Built the CNC phono stage and replaced the Pro-Ject phono MM box.

I was shocked to hear the bass from the "The Wall" LP. Kick ass man. The helicopter effect was just too good as if I had a Sub :clapping:. Couldn't believe my ears. However other CDs and LPs did improve pretty well even with the current messed up speaker positions. I guess my KEF woofers are finally getting some heavy workout from AP NJ1. May be they are running in for real after 4 years :lol:

I will detail all the listening expression soon. I am struggling to finish some office work before the Bangalore audio meet on Sunday. Looks like a night out :sad:

-John.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back