AAC 5.1 via AV Receiver through Media Players

Is there any media player which can output 5.1 AAC to receiver so that we get 5.1 out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DOMFDZ

Hi everyone,

Its almost some time since I have been struggling with various forums and google to find out a replacement for my WDTV Gen 1 as its not able to send 5.1 surround to my Onkyo 606 when using movies with AAC 5.1 sound track.

I thought the latest players like O play HD2 will be able to do the job, only to read yesterday in a O Play HD2 forum that even with OPlay HD2 getting output of 5.1 from a AAC 5.1 is not possible. If anyone in this forum is able to get 5.1 out from AAC 5.1 please advice.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the reply, I have seen those threads earlier and the topic only revolves around converting of AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1 to get 5.1. I would rather prefer obtaining AC3 5.1 than AAC 5.1 if that was the solution.

My question is Is there any device in the market which can send AAC5.1 to receivers so the receivers can decode. Or is it that Receiver do not decode AAC 5.1.

As per my opinion. AAC 5.1 is a PC friendly format which outputs perfect 5.1 from a PC when outputting via multichannel, but while the same sound is output via SPDIF we have no sound and hence need to convert back to ac3 on the fly using certain settings on AC3 filter or FFDshow filter.

Do we conclude it like this or anymore wise men out there to guide.......

Hi
No receiver is able to decode AAC 5.1
I am not sure about media players

The only workaround is to convert AAC to AC3

Hi

A.C.Ryan's Play On HD has an option where you can choose Multi Channel LPCM in the Audio settings to send AAC audio to any HDMI receivers which reproduces the same as MPCM 5.1.

Hope this helps

sub

PS3 is capable of playing AAC 5.1 and sends LPCM 5.1 signal to a connected AVR, as there are no AVRs in the market which have AAC decoder built inside them. Xtreamer is also capable of decoding and then sending the same to an AVR.

Guys what are you talking about ..... POHD can decode AAC 5.1 and sends to the receiver ....... which is displayed as PCM. There is no need to convert or anything ......

Finally I have got real value inputs. So Xtreamer, ACRyan can send AAC5.1 as LPCM. Anybody out there using O Play HD2 who has got AAC 5.1 sending signals to receiver in receiver friendly PCM formats

Guys what are you talking about ..... POHD can decode AAC 5.1 and sends to the receiver ....... which is displayed as PCM. There is no need to convert or anything ......
Would like ur sincere opinion on me going for ACRyan or OPlay HD2 confused between the two.

Was just checking specs of Playon HD ACRyan it says pass through and downmix to stereo for AAC. Would like to double check and confirm that ACRyan is able to send 5.1 from AAC. Would also like to know what receiver are using Sam9s.

well I have not seen much of our members going for Oplay HD2, specs looks good with USB 3 support, but then about the performance, UI, stability, only a proper user can tell. POHD on the other had is been tested and used, by many here including me all seems pretty satisfied. However if today I want to get a media player or recommend (and price is no bar) I would go for xtremer PRO .... :)

And I am using Onkyo 6200 HTiB

Was just checking specs of Playon HD ACRyan it says pass through and downmix to stereo for AAC. Would like to double check and confirm that ACRyan is able to send 5.1 from AAC. Would also like to know what receiver are using Sam9s.

You need to learn how to understand the specifications. Its says PASS THROUGH and downmix to stereo, which is also written for Dolby Digital AC3, DTS and Dolby TrueHD so does this mean all out put formats are downconverted to Stereo ....:rolleyes:

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back