Absolute Phase soft launches the Linn Akurate DS with the Akurate 5-way Aktive system

Absolute Phase

Hi! Guys,

Absolute Phase is happy to announce that yesterday we had a soft launch of the future of music technology, the Linn Akurate DS and the Akurate 5-way 242 system.

Adolfo with the system.
dscn2929to1.jpg

A selected list of audiophiles, music lovers and techno freaks were invited for a special Linn event (followed by some excellent Single Malt from Scotland & Dinner thereafter).

Adolf explaining the technology of the Akurate DS to the gathering. In the distance is the HP Laptop, Nokia N800.
dscn2930xz1.jpg

We had the pleasure of having Mr. Adolfo Cano Munzo (Sales Manager - Linn)
dscn2948dn7.jpg

personally do the demo and introduce the awesome system to the gathering. He also explained the technology of the Akurate DS from Linn. The famous Linn TuneDem was done and there was a question and answer round and then the single malt and dinner.

dscn2945yn9.jpg

The complete Linn system was:
dscn2949ed4.jpg

LINN AKURATE DS
LINN MAJIK CDP
LINN AKURATE KONTROL PREAMP
LINN MAJIK 5100 (5 CHANNEL) POWER AMPS X 2.
LINN AKURATE 242 LOUDSPEAKERS
LINN AKURATE AKTIVE CARDS
LINN SILVER ANALOGUE CABLES
LINN K10 SPEAKER CABLES (Will be upgraded to K400s soon)
HP Laptop
Transcend 320GB Mobile HDD.
Netgear Router.

This system will be on demo at Absolute Phase. All demos strictly via prior appointment only. For more info on the system visit Linn - hi-fi, home theatre and multi-room systems.

Re: Absolute Phase soft launches the Linn Akurate DS with the Akurate 5-way Aktive sy

Congrats Prithvi. The Akurate DS is the way to go forward. Next time i am in Bangalore will definitely drop in

Re: Absolute Phase soft launches the Linn Akurate DS with the Akurate 5-way Aktive sy

Congrats, Prithvi. Awesome looking gear, would love to hear some comments about how it performed.
Is that you in the black T, standing ?
Any member of the HiFiVision/HiFi Forum present for the launch ?

Last edited:

Hi! Prem,
Thanks, Yes the Akurate DS is awesome, makes your cd collection sound far superior. Your most welcome to drop in for a demo.

Congrats, Prithvi. Awesome looking gear, would love to hear some comments about how it performed.
Is that you in the black T, standing ?
Any member of the HiFiVision/HiFi Forum present for the launch ?

Hi Kamal,
Some of our forum members had come, so I think they will post their views on the system. Pls do note that the entire system was just 3 days old. Will sound far better after 100-250 hours.

Yes thats me in the black T-shirt sir

off topic: sorry MOD!

I need to get a better digital camera, my nikon 7 MP sucks. High time I invest in a nice digital SLR . Any digital camera experts, pls help me. Have no clue in that area.

Pls start another post or pm me directly.
thanks

Some quick thoughts... expert may pour in later....

Skip any Point and Shoot camera regardless of claimed megapix, Zoom etc ,Get one DSLR it is far superior than any P-n_S toy.

Only two choices worth considerng, NIKON and Canon!

Nikon D-40 6 Mega Pix (with Kit lens 28-55) for 20-22k exchange 28-55 for 28-135 at an extra cost of about 8-10K or better invest in the best 28-300 all rounder 30k. Want more megapix get Nikon D-40X about 28-30K with kit 28-55 and have the same lens choices mentioned above.

(prices approx.. gray market...plz cross check..)

You may want to check for a good , fast standard fixed focus lens 50 mm. and/or a wide angle 15-28 (beware both are pretty expensive)
Canon DSLR's also quite promising , with excellent lenses and accessories, has India based ervice support and good come with Bill and warranty.

It is a tough choice to select between Nikon and Canon. Canon is quite popular in India but Nikon is also catching up fast.

I own Nikon D-40 with 28-135 and saving for 28-300.

If you need it for your business purpose (that is selling HiFI gears) , invest in a good tripod, a good , fast 50 mm lens (for close ups) , flash light, then some filters , then equipment bag , photo editing software, mega GB memory cards.............. list goes on and on ... not very different from HiFI hobby!

If you really want to stick to P-N-S then look at Panasonic FZ-XX ultra zoom series.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

Hi Prithvi,
Stick to a Nikon DSLR. Either D40X or D60 is more than adequate. Reasonably compact,light and sturdy. Standard 18-55 lens kit is provided and package should be around 35K grey.
Regards

Skip any Point and Shoot camera regardless of claimed megapix, Zoom etc ,Get one DSLR it is far superior than any P-n_S toy.

Nikon D-40 6 Mega Pix (with Kit lens 28-55) for 20-22k exchange 28-55 for 28-135 at an extra cost of about 8-10K or better invest in the best 28-300 all rounder 30k. Want more megapix get Nikon D-40X about 28-30K with kit 28-55 and have the same lens choices mentioned above.

You may want to check for a good , fast standard fixed focus lens 50 mm. and/or a wide angle 15-28 (beware both are pretty expensive)
Canon DSLR's also quite promising , with excellent lenses and accessories, has India based ervice support and good come with Bill and warranty.

It is a tough choice to select between Nikon and Canon. Canon is quite popular in India but Nikon is also catching up fast.

If you need it for your business purpose (that is selling HiFI gears) , invest in a good tripod, a good , fast 50 mm lens (for close ups) , flash light, then some filters , then equipment bag , photo editing software, mega GB memory cards.............. list goes on and on ... not very different from HiFI hobby!

If you really want to stick to P-N-S then look at Panasonic FZ-XX ultra zoom series.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

First of all congrats to Prithvi for the event. I'd love to come down sometime to listen to the setup.

Hi Suhaas. I assume you meant the 18-55, 18-135 and 18-200 VR. There is no 28-55 etc lens. The effective focal length of an 18-55 on a 1.5x crop sensor will be 27-82.5mm. However a D40/D40X/D60 body with a 50mm lens means you lose autofocus as those bodies don't have an autofocus motor for non digital format (DX) lenses.

Hence I'd not recommend any of those bodies if one is planning to use a 50mm lens especially for shooting a product portfolio. Infact for a product portfolio the best lens would be a 105mm macro f/2.8 with atleast a D80. A nice alternative to the 18-XX nikons is the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which again will work only on a D80. One can get cheap Vivitar flashes (no TTL metering) for as low as 4 grand.

Anyway personally I'm a canon guy and believe they offer more bang for the buck. I use a Canon 40D, Tokina 19-35, EF-S 55-250 IS, 100mm macro, 50mm f/1.4 and also a Canon Elan 2E Film body with an EF 28-105.

It was an entertaining and enlightening evening at Prithvi??s.

The Akurate 5-way was making some great music.
The star of the evening was the Akurate DS. Your music is ripped into lossless flac and stored on a networked hard-disk. Your music is quickly and easily accessed and controlled through a hand-held wireless touchscreen, PC, laptop or IR handset. The DS then converts the signal to analogue and plays it in the highest level of fidelity. We did a comparison between a conventional cd and the DS. The DS won hands down. Effortless, natural presentation.

Thanks Prithvi for being the perfect host as always.:)

Hi was the cd player which was used for comparison cost as much as the Akurate DS?

Exactly what i was keen to know too.Which was the conventional cdp it was compared with?
Prithvi congrats on the new offerings and i hope they are a commercial success.
Whats the pricing of the Linn components?
Regards

How would the Akurate DS compare with a normal computer with a professional soundcard as an SPDIF source and a good external DAC?

Hi SW, could you plz elaborate on the listening experience with the LA system?
your take on the CDP vs HDD based system is good for a dedicated thread.
Care to start one ?
But first , more on the set up you auditioned.
Any other forum members who were there, we are waiting for your detailed reactions, plz.

Hi SW, could you plz elaborate on the listening experience with the LA system?
your take on the CDP vs HDD based system is good for a dedicated thread.
Care to start one ?
But first , more on the set up you auditioned.
Any other forum members who were there, we are waiting for your detailed reactions, plz.

??Big, full-range sound?. Very resolving and detailed.
It was actively amplified by five amps per side so the dynamics and sparkle and deep-bass power was at overdrive. A well treated room could help here.
It was clear and very undistorted. Neutral, musical and very tonally accurate. I would not call the setup ?? warm? though. The setup is not burned in so can??t really say for sure.

Square.

compared to other high end set ups you may have heard ???

Sir,

This would classify as a hi-end set up - I am sure.
25L +++ in all probability.

So what did the forum members think ?

I am sure many persons present at the 'lovely meet' were 'seasoned' audiophiles who must have heard several high end set ups of simmilar or higher value & how would they rate this sound ?

I think most discussions on this forum are low-fi / mid-fi set ups. This is one of few high end set ups that has been posted here. Very Very Good !
I sure would like to wish P.V. all the best in his venture. I am sure he will sell many.............

I just wanted to make 1 small point - maybe the Linn Unidisc was needed to play against the DS. Opinion ? The MagiK is a 'lower down' the order CD Player - I think............

How would the Akurate DS compare with a normal computer with a professional soundcard as an SPDIF source and a good external DAC?

+1? ..... Price in India?
Although the concept used sounds pretty cool, would love to hear this setup.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

Thanks suhas

It was an entertaining and enlightening evening at Prithvi??s.

The Akurate 5-way was making some great music.
The star of the evening was the Akurate DS. Your music is ripped into lossless flac and stored on a networked hard-disk. Your music is quickly and easily accessed and controlled through a hand-held wireless touchscreen, PC, laptop or IR handset. The DS then converts the signal to analogue and plays it in the highest level of fidelity. We did a comparison between a conventional cd and the DS. The DS won hands down. Effortless, natural presentation.

Thanks Prithvi for being the perfect host as always.:)

Your welcome Vinny. The system is getting better, still needs tto burn-in

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back