Accessing Tata Photon internet on LCD TV via wifi

udaykhan

Hi All,

Is there some wireless adapter that I can connect to my (non-smart) Samsung LCD TV's USB/HDMI port that can connect to my home router's wifi and access internet on the TV? I have a Tata Photon Max wifi datacard with high data limit. Is this even possible?

Thanks
Uday

I don't think you can do that. Your TV have to have a in-built WiFi antenna to interact and since the TV is not a smartTV, it doesn't have the firmware which will allow you to interact.

Simply put, when you connect your Data Card to your PC, it installs a software before connecting so the card can be recognised by the PC as a dialer. Same here, when you connect the WiFi adapter to the TV, the TV's gotta recognise the adapter first. If that particular software or firmware is missing, there's no way that the WiFi adapter will work.

Chromecast !! That's your solution :) Smartphone > TV

Last edited:
I seem to have found a way out.

I did some research and it appears the below setup should work as advised by the online chat agent on this website (not sure if I can mention the site name).

1. Raspberry Pi connected to the TV with HDMI cable. It has some linux based OS which also has a web browser built in.
2. EDUP Nano WiFi USB dongle plugged into one of the USB ports on the Raspberry. This detects and connects to the home wifi.

I am yet to buy this but posting in the interest of others who might be looking for the same.

Regards,
Uday

Back