Acer H5370BD - Impressions

jsanand

Starting with a disclaimer - This post is by no means an attempt (professional or novice) to declare the projector the de-facto choice for any of you. This is just a humble attempt to present my impressions of the pj with pure intention to assist anyone of you with any data points needed :cool:

The setup at my end - done more in a hurry as it was a long delayed post.

IMG_20130703_184432.jpg

1. Acer H5370BD placed on top of a side cabinet for video output
2. Bose SoundDock II for audio output
3. Compaq Laptop (not seen in the picture)

First image of HFV website projected on an off-white wall (pale cream in color)
IMG_20130703_184922.jpg

The text to me is sharp and clear - colors natural and the experience of browsing on a wall on a 87" diagonal screen - amazing. BTW, this shot is taken with the tubelight on and some light shining through curtains early in the evening.

The projector will be mainly used for viewing movies, so a snapshot of one of the recent hindi movies (16:9)

IMG_20130703_185931.jpg

:Ahem: Deepika never looked this great on a 42 inch television ;)

Contrast is not something to write home about. The colors are natural again for the movie mode as well. Sharpness is good (for me).

Couple of shots from X-Men First class (all the shots are from a Laptop output at 720P resolution)
IMG_20130703_185506.jpg

A close-up shot for those who would want to know more on the clarity of the image (the rip is not that great and my apologies for using the nexus 4 camera - the only available at my disposal for these images)
IMG_20130703_185521.jpg

Next on the demo was a shot from Avenger's. This one is in 16:10 aspect ratio and the dark scenes do let you down a bit, but only during the day time viewing.
IMG_20130703_190416.jpg

You all must have noticed by now a lamp casting its shadow on the projected image, but honestly have not got time at hand to set this thing up perfectly or pick up a screen and fix it on the wall.

Last snapshots are from IMAX - Under the Sea. The image clarity, brightness and sharpness is just amazing. The experience during certain parts of the video was almost having a huge aquarium on the wall.
IMG_20130703_191122.jpg

IMG_20130703_191418.jpg

The poor equipment used for taking these pics, as mentioned above, is a camera on Google Nexus 4. Which again to me could not do justice to the projected images I saw on the wall.

As for Rainbow effect - yes, it is present. Does it bother me or others in the family - Absolutely no.

I do notice a bit of flicker when playing 1080p content but can attribute that to my source as of now - laptop running vlc player with no video h/w acceleration. Will test the content with WDTV player and update again.

Thanks to each and everyone of you, who helped me in zero-ing down on this PJ. Will try my best to answer any queries you may have on the projector.

Copy pasting my earlier post in a different thread on 3D capabilities of this projector

Quick 3D update. Have a core 2 duo laptop and with almost no know how on how to run 3D movies, tried my hands on couple of them to run them in Stereoscopic player with default viewing mode set as DLP 3D ready - connected this with the PJ at 120 Hz and switched on the 3D at AUTO. Next step was to charge and activate SainSonic 3D Active Shutter glasses (had picked them from Amazon link). Ended up with big disappointment as I was not able to experience any 3D content.

Next try was
1. Download a sample HSBS (Half Side By Side) Demo Video from the net
2. Launch it VLC Player
3. Connect the computer in standard 60Hz frequency
4. Switch on 3D mode on the projector
5. Set the 3D format to Half Side by Side
6. Get the 3D glasses on

Voila! Amazing 3D experience. On a small bedroom wall, experienced the immersive world with fishes floating all around...the experience was like - :eek:hyeah:

So the projector is 3D enabled for sure and not just 3D ready...this should rest some apprehensions raised by prospective buyers.

Thank you for posting a review with pictures, as they say a pic is worth a thousand words... I am mighty impressed by this small PJ at this small price...

You are welcome Premblr,

It was your post that had me set things up and post them. Again sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the pictures anand.

Even though you mentioned that the pics were taken with poor equipment (Nexus 4, which I beg to defer :eek:hyeah:) the pictures are very nice and I can imagine how the actual picture looked.

And, by the way, one day when I buy a projector (which will be soon) and project it onto the wall, if I get this kind of picture clarity then I may shelve the idea of buying a separate screen all together :cool:

Nice to finally see some real world pics of 5370BD's image quality... These pics should surely help other ppl wanting to take the plunge into the projector world with this VFM projector...

great show.mate...enjoy.
time to sell the tv..hehe
and self paint the wall into white..u will get more better picture..
hardly under 500 Rs cost..paint+brush
rich matte finish from dulax or asian paints..
later buy a good screen

Last edited:
congrats Anand, I have also made the purchase today guys. How much is the total cost you have paid for it?

congrats Anand, I have also made the purchase today guys. How much is the total cost you have paid for it?

I paid USD 399 for the projector and USD 31 for one pair of 3D glasses. Was in USA so hand carried, saving customs and shipping charges.

Ok...here comes another update on 3D capabilities....

Played Avatar 3D on Sunday evening...glasses used were Sainsonic, as picked from Amazon.

Sitting at more than 6 feet, the 3D effect was great, good depth and good colors. The glasses were comfortable as well, no headache or heaviness even after using them for 2+ hours.

Used standard VLC player from a laptop running at 720p 60Hz output. 3D mode was activated on the projector to present the Half Side By Side video into 3D video signal. Did not face any sync out issues during the entire movie. The experience was way better than what I had seen and experienced on a 50 inch Samsung 3D LED TV.

Thanks for sharing,I watched 3D at FM house with 3DTV Corp glasses,some clips were played perfectly,but with some,I got eye straining immediately.
If sainsonic is great & looking for Battery powered glasses,then this can be the option-
Specialized in Bluetooth, Ultrasonic, IR technologies. 144HZ Button Battery Powered 3D Active Shutter Glasses For BenQ, Optoma, Acer, Sharp,Mitsubishi Projector - For Acer - 3D Glasses for 3D-Projector - SainSonic 3D Glasses makes from 3D Glasses, Sm

Contrast ratio is more than average glasses.

One question-
Are those(your)Glasses comfortable on ears?Are they tight to use?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing,I watched 3D at FM house with 3DTV Corp glasses,some clips were played perfectly,but with some,I got eye straining immediately.

That was because the polarity was reversed. I have watched full movies without any strain.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back