Acer H5370BD - Impressions

Hi jsanand,

Any updates on the projector usage, any likes or dislikes or any particular settings for best performance. How is the fan noise and projector heat?

Cheers,
Prem

Have watched 4 movies till now and happy with the result. Have modified the brightness and dynamic color settings, will share the info on exact values for the settings soon. Fan noise is not audible. May be its the AC and Bose SounDock that are supressing it. Yes, the projector does get a bit Hot but not to a level that it interrupts the functioning of the device.

Just to add....have stopped watching TV completely...the image appears to be too small :p

lol, :lol: wishing you many more hours... some more pictures after the changed settings if possible please.

spiro, here is what wikipedia quote about DLP chip and RBE...

The color wheel "rainbow effect"

DLP projectors utilizing a mechanical spinning color wheel may exhibit an anomaly known as the "rainbow effect." This is best described as brief flashes of perceived red, blue, and green "shadows" observed most often when the projected content features high contrast areas of moving bright or white objects on a mostly dark or black background. The scrolling end credits of many movies are a common example, and also in animations where moving objects are surrounded by a thick black outline. Brief visible separation of the colours can also be apparent when the viewer moves their eyes quickly across the projected image. Some people perceive these rainbow artifacts frequently, while others may never see them at all.

This effect is caused by the way the eye follows a moving object on the projection. When an object on the screen moves, the eye will follow the object with a constant motion, but the projector will display each alternating color of the frame at the same location, for the duration of the whole frame. So, while the eye is moving, it will see a frame of a specific color (red for example). Then, when the next color is displayed (green for example), although it gets displayed at the same location overlapping the previous color, the eye will have moved toward the object's next frame target. Thus, the eye will see that specific frame color slightly shifted. Then, the third color gets displayed (blue for example), and the eye will see that frame's color slightly shifted again. This effect is not perceived only for the moving object, but the whole picture.
The DLP "rainbow effect"

Today however, systems with DLPs BrilliantColor technology have virtually eliminated any of the color breakup that was sometimes seen on older DLP projectors. Studies have long shown that only a small number of people ever experience the phenomenon[citation needed]. Additionally, multi-color LED-based and laser-based single-chip projectors are able to eliminate the spinning wheel and minimize the rainbow effect since the pulse rate of LEDs and laser are not limited by physical motion. "Three-chip DLP projectors have no color wheels, and thus do not manifest this [rainbow] artifact."[1]

Went home and projected it on a wall which has door and all the knick knacks, every one is wow at home. This one is with zero tweaks to the projector settings.

RBE, I could spot it couple of times in Dark Night, Avatar none, does it bother me? Nope, none at family could ever see that too. Will write a detailed review after setting it up properly.

IMG1962_zpsa2ed75f4.jpg

Went home and projected it on a wall which has door and all the knick knacks, every one is wow at home. This one is with zero tweaks to the projector settings.

RBE, I could spot it couple of times in Dark Night, Avatar none, does it bother me? Nope, none at family could ever see that too. Will write a detailed review after setting it up properly.

IMG1962_zpsa2ed75f4.jpg

Please do share more pics and experience .

My colleague is back and my Acer has arrived today, I am waiting to get home and project it on the wall.

Congrats Prem,I know the waiting period is something one doesn't want to experience.Did your friend have any issue with Customs?

It is hand carried by my friend without the carton. The PJ has a carry case of its own. Paid nothing to the customs. First impressions are impressive, for the price of under 30K, it is a value for money projector. Rainbows aren't that bad, but they do exist, this may be because I have lot of metal stuff on the wall like a clock, key hanger etc. You can find the RBE if you look on these objects. My other wall has a mural and it isn't white, so I will be able to post a true review only when I move this to the dedicated room.

I am not able to make the 3D work, I have some side by side MKV files which I played using Panny BDP from a USB, I have 3D Corp glasses, it shows up as side by side in PJ. Any pointers to get this working?

And here is the projected image after working a bit with the settings.

IMG1963_zpsebe0d9f8.jpg

It is hand carried by my friend without the carton. The PJ has a carry case of its own. Paid nothing to the customs. First impressions are impressive, for the price of under 30K, it is a value for money projector. Rainbows aren't that bad, but they do exist, this may be because I have lot of metal stuff on the wall like a clock, key hanger etc. You can find the RBE if you look on these objects. My other wall has a mural and it isn't white, so I will be able to post a true review only when I move this to the dedicated room.

I am not able to make the 3D work, I have some side by side MKV files which I played using Panny BDP from a USB, I have 3D Corp glasses, it shows up as side by side in PJ. Any pointers to get this working?

And here is the projected image after working a bit with the settings.

For <30k, it's a steal :clapping:

Have you had a look at the solution posted by jsanand (in the 2nd post in this thread) before you played 3d clips ?

Here is the solution he posted.

Quick 3D update. Have a core 2 duo laptop and with almost no know how on how to run 3D movies, tried my hands on couple of them to run them in Stereoscopic player with default viewing mode set as DLP 3D ready - connected this with the PJ at 120 Hz and switched on the 3D at AUTO. Next step was to charge and activate SainSonic 3D Active Shutter glasses (had picked them from Amazon link). Ended up with big disappointment as I was not able to experience any 3D content.

Next try was
1. Download a sample HSBS (Half Side By Side) Demo Video from the net
2. Launch it VLC Player
3. Connect the computer in standard 60Hz frequency
4. Switch on 3D mode on the projector
5. Set the 3D format to Half Side by Side
6. Get the 3D glasses on

Voila! Amazing 3D experience. On a small bedroom wall, experienced the immersive world with fishes floating all around...the experience was like -

So the projector is 3D enabled for sure and not just 3D ready...this should rest some apprehensions raised by prospective buyers.
Hope this helps !

Last edited:
Yes, I did see the solution he posted, but I am playing from BD player. He is playing from a computer. If can't make it to work with BDP, then will try the PC method.

Yes, I did see the solution he posted, but I am playing from BD player. He is playing from a computer. If can't make it to work with BDP, then will try the PC method.

Ok ... Even though the source is different, both of you input the same side-by-side clips right ? Then, it should work if your turn on 3D in your projector with format as Side by side. I do the same in my LG 3D TV to play 3D videos.

Hi Prem,

What do you see on you projectoor when you play the content from a 3D bdp? If it is an overlapped image, just go to projector's menu and enable 3D with 3D mode as auto. If you are getting a SBS image as an output from PJ, then enable 3D and set 3D mode to half or full side by side depending on the content. Please do confirm the glasses you are using as well, because am not sure if 120hz active shutter works with this PJ.

If nothing works send me a PM lets see if I can assist you over a call. BTW, yesterday demo-ed 3D to my in laws and they were mighty impressed :cool:

Back