Acoustic Dimension/ Khozmo volume attenuators

Haha thanks! Yes opinions can get quite confusing to say the least. But I'm discovering more options. Not very convinced of the 'warmth' of the SMD resistors there seem to be other good options available, though at a cost. Will see over the weekend. Transformer based like Prem's is supposed to be good but I can't use it in my setup unfortunately. :sad:

Regards

Maybe you can borrow a transformer based passive on blore and check it out ?

Arj,

Just so I understand you correctly you mean something like the autoformer that Prem got?

Regards

Hi Stevieboy

I think the Khozmo is passive with no gain. I am a little confused. If you can use Khozmo, why would you not be able to use a transformer based atteunator?

The short answer to that one Prem is that I'm technically very very unsound and therefore a bit confused, but light is slowly dawning as I read more and chat with Viren :)

I had spoken to Viren months before and my understanding was that I could not use an autoformer since I needed an active preamp to boost the volume for my power amp. Today after your post I had another chat with Viren and it should be possible to fit in the slagle autoformer in the DHT pre or outside and remove the volume pot entirely. Viren is exploring how this can happen wiring/circuit wise and I should have more clarity in a few days. Then based on cost I'll have to decide what to do. As of now, the Khozmo and Acoustic Dimension are completely out of my consideration list and two carbon film resistor based attenuators are in on one side and on the other side is the slagle autoformer. And the lightspeed in the middle.

Thanks so much for that post, it steered me again towards checking out the autoformer.

Regards

Edit: Duh! Now I remember why I wrote off the autoformer. When you had got your system I had a chat with Viren and he said that in your system your phono (EMT) you could adjust the gain, you could do with the autoformer next step and then into the power amp. My case, I need the DHT pre since my phono can't increase gain, and having the ability to increase gain can only happen when you have a circuit with feedback, and the only feedback Viren ever uses is via phone or email, not in his amps, so if I get the autoformer all I'll be replacing is the few resistors in the volume control/attenuator. I won't be able to omit the entire preamp. In which case considering cost, I might as well go in for the best attenuator I can find. Your system benefits far more than mine with the autoformer.

Last edited:
Hi Stevieboy

You will need the DHT pre in your set up. Just replace the volume pot with a transformer based vol control. Slagle costs about $ 350. Its worth it.

Hi Prem,

The problem is the darn thing costs 350 to be shipped to a US address also. That's the killer for me. If the thing was replacing the pre entirely which is how people normally benefit from it, it would have been easier to decide.

The lightspeed attenuator seems to be on par roughly sound wise from reviews. Will see what Viren recommends also.

Right now down to the slagle, lightspeed and a glassware carbon film attenuator.

Regards

I would go with the Slagle. Did enormous amount of research. In my case i was willing to spend much more, if needed, but still decided on the Slagle. Slagle stuff is quite magical.

Hi Stevieboy

Go for the $200 one. It is a 14 point vol control. I bought the 28 point vol control. It cost me $400. In retrospect even the $200 should have been ok. BTW there is no difference in sound quality between the $400, $350 and the $200 one.

Hi,

Steven, I think you should get your Altecs up and running before you play around with the different volume controls/ attenuators.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,

Hehe yeah that's long overdue. I'm doing a bit of cleaning now. Just got new stock of wd40. I should finish cleaning them this month. I have to send the pre back to viren for the filament rewire and the vol pot left channel is acting up, is scratchy so I have to replace it with something. Hence the search.

Prem I think you made the right choice, the 14 point one Viren was saying might be too coarse in steps.

Regards

Hi Stevieboy

I went for the 28 step because i thought i might get too much gain in each step on the 14 step one. However when i move 2 points on my 28 step one, there are no issues. Question of coarseness or graininess does not arise at all. Its about how much gain you will get with each step.

Hi Prem,

By coarse in steps I meant the same thing, too much gain per step, not coarse in sound :) Fine would be 1.5 or 1 db per step.

Regards

In the 28 step its 2 db per step. In the 14 its 3 db per step. I really do not think that 1 db more gain is going to make such a difference

Thats a good one, Steven! :)

And its true :) Viren is now figuring out a new take on volume control for his preamp, well not exactly new but something different from the options I had asked his advice on. Hopefully it works out and if it does it could be featured in the new preamps he makes. Fingers crossed and lips sealed till he wrestles it out!

@Prem,
I'm thinking it will be quite a jump especially for late night lower level listening of which I do a lot, when one is looking for just that right volume. And I'm used to the finer control of a pot. Slagle himself says on his site that the higher step one came in response to many people asking for finer steps. Not really sure how much of a diff 2 and 3 db would be in practice but I ideally want something close to what my pot offers.

Regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back