Need Technical guidance with repairing volume wheel

sachinchavan 15865

Hi guys,

I bought an old Sony Dream Machine radio clock off eBay a few years ago. But when it arrived I noticed the volume wheel didn’t do a thing and the volume stayed at full level all the time. I didn’t get to addressing it as I wasn’t using it and had kept it away.

But this is one of the best sounding radios I’ve heard - very sweet and clear non-fatiguing sound through its small speaker that’s not just loud enough for the room, bet is even audible (and very discernible) from adjacent rooms as well. The reception is pretty good too.

I got interested in listening to FM radio once again and pulled it out. The sound is still as satisfying. But it’s a pain to use it at full volume all the time. So I want to repair/get the volume wheel repaired.

However, my concern is whether the local repair shops would be able to repair it. I myself don’t have any knowledge of electronics and need advice of the knowledgeable members here. I am posting below some pics of the radio opened and the volume wheel close ups so you can undertand what kind it is.

IMG_8063.jpeg

IMG_8060.jpeg
IMG_8061.jpeg

IMG_8057.jpeg
IMG_8059.jpeg

I need your advice on:

1. Is there any quick fix that I can do myself? I’ve tried blowing off the dust and pressing the knob etc to see if it works. It was of no use.

2. Is it simply a case of some solder etc that may have come off? In which case, do you advise taking it to a local repair shop? My concern is that a shoddily done job shouldn’t ruin the lovey sound (or the reception) in any way. Any do’s and don’ts I can tell the repairer?

3. Or you think it’s not repairiable and needs (or is advisable to do) a parts replacement. Given that these radios are quite old, I doubt the parts may be available unless they are common electronic parts.

In short, what would the safer way to go about it? I am very wary that the sound quality shouldn’t get spoiled.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Try a few drops of alcohol/after-shave/deodorant at the core where you think the real mechanism is. Please do it with the unit in off-state and let it dry for 5-10 mins.

Try a few drops of alcohol/after-shave/deodorant at the core where you think the real mechanism is. Please do it with the unit in off-state and let it dry for 5-10 mins.
Thanks. The volume isn’t jammed, but is actually too free, it’s more likely that it has lost contact with and doesn’t drive whichever mechanism it is supposed to. Would the suggested remedy still be useful? Or should I try putting some grease instead?

Thanks. The volume isn’t jammed, but is actually too free, it’s more likely that it has lost contact with and doesn’t drive whichever mechanism it is supposed to. Would the suggested remedy still be useful? Or should I try putting some grease instead?
Please give my suggestion a try but grease, NEVER.

As surfatwork as mentioned that is a trimpot. It is not a normal potentiometer that is typically used for volume control. No wonder it has gone bad. Trim pots are not meant for continous back and forth movements every day. However, these trim pots are easily available in electronic shops. What I'm not sure is how the volume control knob is attached below the pcb.

Thanks @surfatwork and @mbhangui ! So both of you think that replacing the trim pot is an easy job and I can get it done from a nearby repair shop without an my risk of spooling the audio quality? It gives me some confidence to take it there.

Whate I'm not sure is how the volume control knob is attached below the pcb.
Do you think it could make the job of replacing the trim pot more difficult/ riskier because the whole PCB would need to be removed to replace the trim pot? Pardon my ignorance here.

Thanks @surfatwork and @mbhangui ! So both of you think that replacing the trim pot is an easy job and I can get it done from a nearby repair shop without an my risk of spooling the audio quality? It gives me some confidence to take it there.

Do you think it could make the job of replacing the trim pot more difficult/ riskier?
Yes it is an easy job. You can ask the repair guy to replace it in front of you.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back