Acoustic Portrait Active Setup

Shivam, I am totally in favour of getting the scanspeak based speakers first. Subwoofer can be added later on. Subs will mostly add harmonics but first of all the fundamentals have to be as good as possible. The difference between the Vifa and Scanspeak is huge! There is no comparison. Coming back to the car analogy, no matter how much you modify a Honda city, it can never be an Accord.

I have heard Siva's speakers and amps all the way from his earliest days till the latest ones. In fact me and a few other members here were frequent visitors to his place al throughout, mostly to listen to all the experimental upgrades and give him our feedback. I have personally heard all the drivers that he has tried. I also had the opportunity to try out his speakers in my own system. I have tried the Vifa based speakers as well as his Scanspeak based speakers. At the time I was using a Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE. I did not like the Vifa based speakers at all while the scanspeak based speaker was so good that I sold my Dynaudio and looked for an upgrade. In fact if you go with Siva's scanspeak MTM configuration speakers (similar to what gvenu has) you do not need a subwoofer. It goes really deep in the bass region, easily in the 30hz region, and probably in the 20s too. If you are looking at his single mid bass driver + tweeter configuration you may need a subwoofer just to fill in the bass a little more but really I would sincerely suggest you get his active scanspeak MTM speakers and be done with for a long long time.

Absolutely agree on the SS drivers-IMHO the best that money can buy. Having built and owned MT and MTM speakers, the LF response of the MTMs is excellent and right now I am using them without a sub.

I ran short of funds so the upgrade didn't happen. I have added a REL sub though to the existing setup.

Hi, Shivam. I have no experience with acoustic portrait . Can you please tell me how do their active speakers sound? I am very curious as I have heard their pre/power but no speakers.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back