Acoustic Portrait Active Setup

Shivam

I have recently put my Acoustic Portrait Active Setup on sale. There were some questions regarding the setup through pm but I feel that we should be discussing things here. Since the 'market place talk' is closed now, we can talk about the setup here. I hope this is fine with the mods.

i wanted to make add comments on that thread
but obviously could not

so here they are

For any prospective buyer of the above setp

i would strongly recommend this setup for its value for money
(all you need to do is hear it )
if it floats your boat musically its a win win

Shivam
think twice before selling that stand
its a pain in the ass to build
and is one of my best stands sonicially

you better be sure you dont wanna buy another bookshelf speaker ever

Once after I have traveled the path of actives, I can't imagine going back to passives again. I am planning to upgrade to another active setup with floorstanders with the hope that this will be my final destination in hifi.

The present system is one of the best I have heard but in western classical music sometimes I miss the grandeur especially in symphonies of Beethoven and some organ works of Bach. I do however love the jazz and blues played on it and for Indian oldies it is a gem of a system.

I agree magma, the built quality of stands is superb and I can imagine the pains you might have taken to get them angled to perfection. If I don't get a genuinely interested buyer for the system then I will happily keep the system and the stands. Even after posting the for sale thread, I felt that maybe I should withdraw it. :)

"I am planning to upgrade to another active setup with floorstanders"
Let me take a wild guess ---- ATCs ??

I am having a tough time convincing my family for the upgrade. Planning to show them some photographs of the system I am planning especially with neatly tucked in wires.

The upgrade will help in making just 3 albums more enjoyable (1 Beethoven and 2 Bach) out of my collection of a few thousand albums.

Now, where did you get to hear the AP FS with Scanspeak? I believe there is one such in Bangalore?!

If I opt for AP actives with Scanspeak then it will be a blind purchase but based on very solid earlier experiences.

I have heard ATCs in two different setups - One with a Dual TT and a DIY phono preamp and another with a Linn DS.

If you want to replace the Bookshelfs with AP floorstanders, why not retain the amps. May be the crossovers can be sent for tweaking to work with the new speakers. Just my two cents because you need to spend a small fortune to get an upgrade over the APs.

Capt, I had a discussion with AP. They said that the amps also need to be upgraded to higher power amps to be able to drive the Scanspeak drivers.

Sidetrack

Add Mahler's 8 too, if you don't possess .... thats monstrous!

I'll add that to my list of future purchases !

Hope you have Number 2, which is the other huge-scale symphony. No 1 was my Mahler introduction and still a firm favourite. Better go for a complete set! On the other hand, and I'm not a big, serious listener, I can really see why the big, serious listeners collect multiple versions, They are amazingly different. I go Bruno Walter for No. 1: the almost sinister sound of the string background at the start is quite something. Great audition piece: if it doesn't make your skin tingle, don't buy the speakers! Also, the power of huge choir singing softly, when they enter in No 2, and then the almost-cinema-music bone-shaking bass of the organ in the finale.

You probably know these pieces already, and I'm sure you've auditioned/heard/owned many more speakers/systems than I have. But I thought I'd mention them anyway :)

Good luck with your sale and subsequent purchase.

I enjoy jazz, blues, country, folk and some similar genres. Classical music (western and Indian) comes after these.
This AP system is also made for playing these genres the best.

I am noting down all these recommendations for my next system. I am yet to discover classical music properly.

An update on the system - It is now moving out and I will be getting a new system (scanspeak drivers). I'll surely post my impression of the new system with photos once it reaches me.

The new system will take some weeks before it reaches me. In the meantime I also have to arrange the funds for it.

This time I will surely post photos and a review.

Scanspeak drivers are outstanding, you wont regret it. I have an MTM floorstander that I currently consider my flagship build, design from Bamberg Labs. Ive been using Scanspeaks for the past 12-14 years and love them.

Back