Laptop vs RPI as player (Acoustic Portrait)

In my case, from day one Swara streamer was unable to connect to wifi even though it's version 3. I had to buy a wifi dongle. Though that dongle is outside the box, it still gives problem of frequent drops. Hence I assume the problem may be in Volumio or its Spotify plug in. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion on wired connection, in my case however since the router is located far, I can not do ethernet.

Point noted about the noise due to power supply and conversions. Again I need to check if I can really find the difference
Spotify player can be operated independently from the device where it's playing is indeed a big advantage as you said.
It could be the spotify plugin. Other FMs too have written about this. But then there are other FMs who are using the spotify plugin without issue.
I use the RPI os itself and till date not even once has spotify disconnected.

It could be the spotify plugin. Other FMs too have written about this. But then there are other FMs who are using the spotify plugin without issue.
I use the RPI os itself and till date not even once has spotify disconnected.
Yes, I remember you mentioned about it. And thank for helping me on the other occasion. My bad however I did not have the patience to complete the set up with pure RPI os

@Bloom@83 Funny thing, After I tried the browser, my mobile device appears on the desktop spotify too. I will try the same with my ipad too. I will install spotify on it and let you know.
Unfortunately I could not test on ipad. spotify app refuses to install from app store saying my ipad has gone old and senile and is no longer supported :mad::mad::(

Hi
I have a basic question. Is there any harm in using a computer as a player instead of RPI?

My setup chain today is
I want to change the first component of this chain. Instead of Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer I am considering using an Asus X200MA laptop

Why?
  1. The Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer is a streamer with a Volumio player that has Spotify Plugin. The communication is all through air and often disconnects while playing. While connecting the USB from the computer to DAC is a direct connection and will hopefully not have the problem of frequent disconnection.

2. The control of Spotify for Volumio is via phone>Wifi>Streamer. If I use the computer the control is directly on the Spotify application on the laptop. More reliable

3. I am not using the DAC component within Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer. The DAC and RPI hats inside the Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer and I today do not use its DAC within Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer because I have a better external DAC (Acoustic Portrait Thyaga DAC). So the point of using Swara Streamer is only as player, then why not directly from a computer?
Help/Opinion requested:
  1. Is there anything wrong with running a laptop as a player instead of an RPI streamer? The sound quality vs connection stability view will be appreciated
  2. What should be the right operating system to get the best output from the laptop?
PS:
  • I know Spotify's sound quality is not so good, but I prefer its recommendation engine. So I want to stick to it, instead of going to CDs or offline files
  • Some people will say, the quality of the power supply is very important. All my components run from direct power filtered by APC SRC1KI-IN UPS. If I use a computer then the player will be battery-powered. In comparison, Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer has a very good linear power supply within the box

Kind regards
Aurobindo

hi

I dont know why you are choosing Spotify. Those recommendations you can use (if you like those) to build up your music lists. Spotify play low quality mp3. Choose music according to audible ranges and play from CD and spotify and your will realize how much you missed friend. Check Cocktail Audio specs maybe. we can talk over phone.

Unfortunately I could not test on ipad. spotify app refuses to install from app store saying my ipad has gone old and senile and is no longer supported :mad::mad::(
Yeah , happened with my oldest iPad too , bought in ‘13. :x

Hi
I have a basic question. Is there any harm in using a computer as a player instead of RPI?

I use a Chromebook , touch screen is great , not very costly, lightweight OS and sounds great to me. Also used an RPI before with LPS.
Apple music , Youtube and all other sources are very convinient with a laptop.

anything wrong with running a laptop as a player instead of an RPI streamer?

Not at all. However, the laptop's USB bus *will* be far noisier than any output from a dedicated streamer. While a (solely) battery powered laptop does not overcome this problem, your standalone DAC is likely robust enough to do so.

the right operating system to get the best output from the laptop?

Linux variants' versatility discounted, it's hard to label any current OS as avoidable viz. digital audio out.

Additionally, it does seem like your real problem is wifi related. A reduction in the router's MTU size, and wifi signal strength (stronger = more interference) settings is known to resolve many a connectivity issue. Otherwise, consider a wifi extender, or as others have suggested, ethernet cable for a far more reliable data connection.

hi

I dont know why you are choosing Spotify. Those recommendations you can use (if you like those) to build up your music lists. Spotify play low quality mp3. Choose music according to audible ranges and play from CD and spotify and your will realize how much you missed friend. Check Cocktail Audio specs maybe. we can talk over phone.
Hi,
I went through the streamer / PC debate and settled on using a headless Mac mini for the following reasons and never regretted it:
- A Mac mini is very silent compared to Wintel laptops - specially the 2018 Mac mini that has an SSD
- Ability to rip all my CDs and access them easily
- Download Hi res music legally from sites such as HD Tracks
- I have loaded Audirvana and use that for streaming Tidal as well as being the player / manager for all my ripped / downloaded music. Audirvana effectively shuts all the processing done by the OS and does it within the software giving you a lot of control as well as the ability to use Audio Units (like EQ and Gate) if you choose to. It also has the ability to adjust fine digital processing parameters, if you are so inclined.
- Apps on the phone / iPad are available to use as a remote control for Audirvana with a very good user interface
- You can choose to listen to Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon music etc using a PC without restrictions using their native apps. Audirvana unfortunately only supports Tidal and Qobuz and of course your local content like ripped CDs or dowloaded Hi Res music. Frankly once you listen to the SQ on these and ripped CDs / downloaded Hi Res music through Audirvana, you will not have the urge to listen to Spotify and Apple Music.
- Being a computer, the wifi connection never drops
- An HDMI connection to the TV removes the need for a monitor.

My setup is Mac mini for streaming --> Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ ---> Parasound P5 pre amp ----> Primare A34.2 x 2 Power Amps ---> Focal Sopra N3 speakers

Best of luck

Hi

My setup chain today is
I want to change the first component of this chain. Instead of Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer I am considering using an Asus X200MA laptop

Why?
  1. The Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer is a streamer with a Volumio player that has Spotify Plugin. The communication is all through air and often disconnects while playing. While connecting the USB from the computer to DAC is a direct connection and will hopefully not have the problem of frequent disconnection.

2. The control of Spotify for Volumio is via phone>Wifi>Streamer. If I use the computer the control is directly on the Spotify application on the laptop. More reliable

3. I am not using the DAC component within Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer. The DAC and RPI hats inside the Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer and I today do not use its DAC within Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer because I have a better external DAC (Acoustic Portrait Thyaga DAC). So the point of using Swara Streamer is only as player, then why not directly from a computer?
Help/Opinion requested:
  1. Is there anything wrong with running a laptop as a player instead of an RPI streamer? The sound quality vs connection stability view will be appreciated
  2. What should be the right operating system to get the best output from the laptop?
PS:
  • I know Spotify's sound quality is not so good, but I prefer its recommendation engine. So I want to stick to it, instead of going to CDs or offline files
  • Some people will say, the quality of the power supply is very important. All my components run from direct power filtered by APC SRC1KI-IN UPS. If I use a computer then the player will be battery-powered. In comparison, Acoustic Portrait Swara Streamer has a very good linear power supply within the box

Kind regards
Aurobindo
Have you tried updating the volumeio to the latest version?
Do you control via phone using the volumeio app or Spotify app (Spotify connect)?

Hi

My setup chain today is

Why?

Help/Opinion requested:
PS:

Kind regards
Aurobindo
Instead of buying a new laptop for streaming purpose, a good option would be to buy a dedicated streamer even if it costs more than the laptop.

Example bluesound node, marantz nd8006.

Yes updated Volumio to latest version.... Control via Spotify app
I am using volumio + Spotify addon and it works great on digione signature. Had major issues earlier. However the latest version of volumio and the new spotify connect addon is better sounding and very reliable.

MaSh

You can buy a wifi extender in about rs1000 and place it near to your streamer. the extender also generally has a Ethernet port so you can connect the extender and the streamer with a lan cable. I use this technic to wifi enable devices they are not wifi enabled.. in your case since the streamer has wifi so wouldn't even need the lan cable, the extender will just extend your wifi signal near to your streamer

You can buy a wifi extender in about rs1000 and place it near to your streamer. the extender also generally has a Ethernet port so you can connect the extender and the streamer with a lan cable. I use this technic to wifi enable devices they are not wifi enabled.. in your case since the streamer has wifi so wouldn't even need the lan cable, the extender will just extend your wifi signal near to your streamer
My apartment is pretty large and rooms are in opening into a lobby so placing router in hall could not give me full signal in bedrooms. When I was trying to extend my wifi to other rooms had did a search on these wifi extenders. They had a bandwidth limit of 50Mbps. Check this out with the new ones.

I ended up with three pucks of Google Wifi - easy to setup, there's LAN port of you want wired connection. Getting full 500Mbps in the remote bathroom even. Go for mesh.

My apartment is pretty large and rooms are in opening into a lobby so placing router in hall could not give me full signal in bedrooms. When I was trying to extend my wifi to other rooms had did a search on these wifi extenders. They had a bandwidth limit of 50Mbps. Check this out with the new ones.

I ended up with three pucks of Google Wifi - easy to setup, there's LAN port of you want wired connection. Getting full 500Mbps in the remote bathroom even. Go for mesh.
I repurposed my old TP Link router as an extender to my Airtel router. I am not seeing any drop in bandwidth. All the devices seamlessly switch between the routers without dropping signal.

MaSh

I repurposed my old TP Link router as an extender to my Airtel router. I am not seeing any drop in bandwidth. All the devices seamlessly switch between the routers without dropping signal.

MaSh
Routers are only limited by their specs. Using routers need some setting to prevents drops. Same network name or something like that. I don't remember exactly now. No going back from Google now. My router has it's wifi switched off and used as a LAN hub.

Extenders had this limitation and perhaps have still.

Routers are only limited by their specs. Using routers need some setting to prevents drops. Same network name or something like that. I don't remember exactly now. No going back from Google now. My router has it's wifi switched off and used as a LAN hub.

Extenders had this limitation and perhaps have still.
Yes just a couple of clicks. Setting the mode, selecting signal and done. Costed me nothing as I already had the router.

MaSh

Need some guidance with the AP Swara DAC and streamer. Grateful for suggestions from users.
Currently Runesudio software installed.
1. Steps to set it up on the network
2. How to use it controlling it from a iPhone

Need some guidance with the AP Swara DAC and streamer. Grateful for suggestions from users.
Currently Runesudio software installed.
1. Steps to set it up on the network
2. How to use it controlling it from a iPhone
If you are using runeaudio then just plugin an ethernet cable and type the following url on any of your laptop and tell me if you get an UI

http://runeaudio.local

Thank you.
It does not load on the iPad but I guess I should try with the swara streamer switched on, or does this not matter?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back