Acoustic Portrait Records - Indian Classical Music

Since the number of people who understand and listen to classical is also dwindling, I would say its good that folks are at least singing this Genre !

I am not very familiar with Carnatic/Hindustani although have enjoyed an occasional piece, my takeaway was being technically correct and having Rhythm and Melody by being true to the scales of the raga were the most critical aspects.

Diction would anyway vary from region to region and may come down to personal preferences as well ?

Happy to be educated here !

Since the number of people who understand and listen to classical is also dwindling, I would say its good that folks are at least singing this Genre !

I am not very familiar with Carnatic/Hindustani although have enjoyed an occasional piece, my takeaway was being technically correct and having Rhythm and Melody by being true to the scales of the raga were the most critical aspects.

Diction would anyway vary from region to region and may come down to personal preferences as well ?

Happy to be educated here !
That's so true. When the famous comedian Stephen Fry (he played the role of Jeeves in the TV series) was asked about the logic in one of P. G. Wodehouse's books, said ‘You don’t analyse such sunlit perfection, you just bask in its warmth and splendour’ :)

I would side with Yugaa here. If music was the only focus, artists can stop with swara vistharana without singing lyrics. When you know the meaning of the song, it hurts to know that a bad pause or inappropriate split of phrases distorts the meaning. More painful is to know singer is oblivious of that.

Most Thayagaraja Keerthanas contain an intricate meaning . Improper diction changes the meaning and the flavour of the song .

Above examples of killing the intricate meaning . A song is best sung or rendered only when the artist knows the true meaning .

Absolutely accurate statement and a highly controversial topic. For this (and some other reasons) I find it difficult to listen to anyone else after listening to Balamurali. Now dont climb on me.!

If we consider a parallel in popular music, Yesudas has sung many gems during the 70-80s in Hindi. His diction was not accurate as he’s not a native speaker, still the charm and beauty of those songs weren’t lost then and still enjoyed by many.

Let’s take the scrutiny out and enjoy them as it is :)

If we consider a parallel in popular music, Yesudas has sung many gems during the 70-80s in Hindi. His diction was not accurate as he’s not a native speaker, still the charm and beauty of those songs weren’t lost then and still enjoyed by many.

Let’s take the scrutiny out and enjoy them as it is :)

Film songs are different .. keerthanas and Bhajans are different . While it is not needed to be microscopic with regard to diction , a Keerthana cannot be rendered as a punk song for the sake of variety . My take is that the artist themselves should recognise the importance of diction and if possible avoid . While the same Yesudas has sung many tamil and telugu film songs which are enjoyable , the keerthanas are not .

It is hard to enjoy wrong diction or a completely different meaning for a word

Hi Mahi, you can buy the music from iTunes for the ARR album or go for streaming via JioSaavn, no Audio CD available, AFAIK.
For albums released by acoustic portrait label you can buy the CDs or go for digital downloads from their website here: https://acousticportrait.com/music/

Hi Mahi, you can buy the music from iTunes for the ARR album or go for streaming via JioSaavn, no Audio CD available, AFAIK.
For albums released by acoustic portrait label you can buy the CDs or go for digital downloads from their website here: https://acousticportrait.com/music/
Thank you for your reply sir, acoustic portrait CDs available at showroom ??

Thank you for your reply sir, acoustic portrait CDs available at showroom ??
You can pick up from their place. You get the option at check out if you are buyimg from the site. Rs 299 for CDs.
Downloads Rs 199 for 320 kbps, Rs 599 for hi res 24/192.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back