• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Acoustic Portrait - Swara – Tube Preamp

Home Theatre Systems

MaSh

It's been a few weeks since I have had the AP Pre with me. So here are my brief impressions.

For those short on time: It's Fantastic.

For the rest, few more words. The Pre is driving the Discrete dynamics Poweramp. The combination seems to work well. So the end result could be a combination of both components. A Huge improvement in every frequency range. The speakers which I always assumed to have hardly any bass, were rocking the whole house. The highs opened up quite a bit, a lot post burn in which took almost 2 weeks of my usage. No idea about hours, I was not timing it.

My previous amp which was peeceebee v4 was also a very good amp, however at 50w they did not get as friendly with the speakers as the DD did. Unfortunately I did not have the AP then. So not sure how the v4 would have reacted with it.

V4 I found was excellent for vocals and precise bass. DD amp is V4 with a hot chilli tadka. The whole frequency range is laid out. Both great amps, pick the one that suits your tastes. I'll try to pen down more on them probably in a separate thread. Both deserve a thread of their own.

Regarding the AP pre it's a definite, rather a Must try. Anyone looking for a super simple, no nonsense, quality pre should check it out. Mind you it's not perfect, imperfections are mostly in usability and minor things, work wise it's spot on.

Hope I made some sense.

MaSh

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

yogibear

After about 100 hours of play, the tubes will open up further and you would love more, what you hear.....

arj

Staff member
I had a chance to hear the new offerings last week and was a really good experience. For those getting into audio and who love good music the AP pre/power/speaker Combo s is one really synergized combination to go for to work with their source. Since many of the posts here are about components synergy issues, this is one way to take care of that especially if you are of the mindset of hearing good music and not caring for the cycle of upgrades !

I had gone to hear their new DAC and that has the resolution dynamics and musicality in the league of usual suspects maybe 3-4 times the price.

MaSh

@MaSh Sir, I would like to thank you for your review. Got myself the Swara pre post your write up. It has changed the entire characteristics of my setup, for the better!!
Congratulations, glad I could help.

Do let us know your initial impressions along with a mention about the other components in your chain. What were the biggest changes you noticed?

MaSh

shuv

Most noticeable change was the muscular low end. I had a JC2 clone preamplifier before the Swara. Everything sounds cleaner and full bodied now.

Speakers are Aurum Cantus 620, powered by an Odyssey Kismet Reference. Source is a Synology NAS, connected to an Audiolab 6000N Play. Then, there are a couple of Technics 1200SLs, a Little Bear phono and Ortofon 2M Red. The second TT has a DIY Phono and Shure M 44-7.

SPONSORED ADS