Acoustics at the Most Expensive Concert Hall in the World

aeroash

The Elbphilharmonie (Elbe Philharmonic Hall) in Hamburg has supposedly the best acoustics for concerts. Built at a cost of €866 million, hosts around 600 concerts combined a year from the Grand Hall and the Recital Hall.

What are some of the popular concert halls in India?

The Elbphilharmonie (Elbe Philharmonic Hall) in Hamburg has supposedly the best acoustics for concerts. Built at a cost of €866 million, hosts around 600 concerts combined a year from the Grand Hall and the Recital Hall.

In Mumbai at NCPA….JBT, Tata Theatre, Tata Experimental theatre are very good.

BTW Tata Theatre boasts of one of the finest acoustics. You got to be there to believe it. Heard so many concerts there. Its something else. No mics/amps/speakers needed.

But many a times one does hear concerts amplified there(jazz, pop, etc) and more often than not our sound engineers just ruin it all. Thats the time I feel like walking over and taking over the console !

Mind you the amplified sound in Tata experimental is very good as it is controlled by NCPA people mostly and their system sounds good.

In Mumbai at NCPA….JBT, Tata Theatre, Tata Experimental theatre are very good.

BTW Tata Theatre boasts of one of the finest acoustics. You got to be there to believe it. Heard so many concerts there. Its something else. No mics/amps/speakers needed.

But many a times one does hear concerts amplified there(jazz, pop, etc) and more often than not our sound engineers just ruin it all. Thats the time I feel like walking over and taking over the console !

Mind you the amplified sound in Tata experimental is very good as it is controlled by NCPA people mostly and their system sounds good.
@manek, do listen to a concert/musical at the Royal Opera House. I found its audio to my liking - feels natural with bass going deep without bloat.

P.S. I had posted my impressions earlier here:
Thread 'Royal Opera House, Mumbai'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/royal-opera-house-mumbai.78225/

And coming back to the Elb Philharmonie, I have a friend in Hamburg who incidentally is also a classical violinist based out of Hamburg and she has mentioned that concert hall a few times in conversation but never did I realise it costed the city 900 million euros to build it 😃.
The orchestra(NDR elbphilharmonie) that it houses is also a fine one ! Hear it if you can.

The cheapest way to overcome the acoustics conundrum is headphones for the audience! Check out this concert

Last edited:
Thats the time I feel like walking over and taking over the console !
I understand your feelings. Have been in the same position many times before :D.
Am sure many more here have also contemplated the same.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back