Acrylic cases

We have a resource here at Cochin. Last week i made an enclosure for a Quiz Buzzer from them using 5mm acrylic. They are using CNC Laser cutter to cut the sheets.

We just need to create our drawings in corel draw and provide them. They charged me Rs. 525/Sq.Ft for 5mm black acrylic and the cost is around 1100/Sq.Ft for black 10mm acrylic. This cost includes material+cutting+ Labour +Texting (engraving and fill color) etc. Cost for raw acrylic (3mm black) is around 170/Sq.Ft.

Thanks,
Bibin

bibin, I am looking at building a case for a DAC and thats some good info. Nice to know I have an option here in Cochin itself.

@sachu888 that is resin mould!

may be good ..because that is special resin !

if some one can procure locally we can make custom cases,

but the acrylic sheets are prone to scratches and gets blurry
like the old audio cassette boxes .

may be good ..because that is special resin !

if some one can procure locally we can make custom cases,

Yes Kaushik it would be really goof if we can procure this resin here.I agree that acrylic gets blurry over the time but it can be restored.I have read people using Mother's headlight restoration kit,Novus or similar products on TT cover with good results.
Fixing those scratched dust covers.. - Page 5 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Regards,
Sachin

@bibin, is your source Aroma Plastics? I'd asked around about the acrylic rates a couple of months back when I was thinking of building a rack. They seemed to have the lowest rates, but they did not have in-house laser cutting then. They were also a bit standoffish about getting black acrylic.

Is the 1100/- rate per sq. ft. for 10mm acrylic that low? Yes, I do understand it includes laser cutting (and probably polishing) and engraving.

I'm asking because I got a quote from a guy (Small shop near Aroma Plastics, on Paramara Road) yesterday for Rs.900.00, for a 10mm 20"x17" clear acrylic sheet (manually cut and polished) with 3 holes drilled. (I'm planning on making a spiked platform for the TT I'll be getting soon, and this is intended for that.)

I saw a few examples of his cutting and polishing work, and I found it to be quite good (esp. considering the rate). He also mentioned that the prices were a bit high now, and if they came down when I bought the sheet from him, he would reduce the price accordingly.

Last edited:

Acrylic sheets are available in different colours, types(Clear, Smoke, Opaque) and finish (Matte, and glossy). We can create other finishes by sand blasting and wire finish.

The blurry problem is only with clear sheets. The black ones doesn't have any such issue.

@bibin, is your source Aroma Plastics? I'd asked around about the acrylic rates a couple of months back when I was thinking of building a rack. They seemed to have the lowest rates, but they did not have in-house laser cutting then. They were also a bit standoffish about getting black acrylic.

Is the 1100/- rate per sq. ft. for 10mm acrylic that low? Yes, I do understand it includes laser cutting (and probably polishing) and engraving.

I'm asking because I got a quote from a guy (Small shop near Aroma Plastics, on Paramara Road) yesterday for Rs.900.00, for a 10mm 20"x17" clear acrylic sheet (manually cut and polished) with 3 holes drilled. (I'm planning on making a spiked platform for the TT I'll be getting soon, and this is intended for that.)

I saw a few examples of his cutting and polishing work, and I found it to be quite good (esp. considering the rate). He also mentioned that the prices were a bit high now, and if they came down when I bought the sheet from him, he would reduce the price accordingly.

Hydra,

Yes Aroma Plastics. They do have CNC laser cutting machines in house.
1100/- rate per sq. ft. for 10mm black acrylic is for making enclosure not for flat piece of sheet. Because they need to bend the sides and glue it etc.

For flat sheet the cost will be much less, for 5 mm the cost is 170/ sq. ft. so i guess for 10mm it will be less than 350/ sq. ft. + cutting charges.

Clear sheets are much cheaper than black ones.

Bibin, thanks for the info. Look forward to the pictures of the cases.
The rate is reasonable for one off pieces, but probably on the higher side if you
want to get many made. Maybe they will give a discount rate.

Subsequent to my post, I found a small workshop in Hyderabad. He
has a Chinese CNC router (not laser) capable of handling 8'x4' sheets
(absolutely perfect for speaker builders!). He can cut wood, ply, MDF etc.
He can also do acrylic. The owners name is Sadanand (details below from JustDial).

They have a one time charge for the CAD drawing, and then it is Material Cost + CNC
cutting cost. He can also take Corel Draw files in EPS format.
He charges material cost of about Rs 130 per sq ft for 5mm clear acrylic.

Om Durga Bhavani Interiors near Moula Ali, Hyderabad | Carpenters | Justdial

@bibin, thanks! That makes sense! I think I'll hit them up again when it is time for my platform to get made :)

Prasad

Talking about CNC routers, I got taken earlier this week.

I located someone to do some work for me, and when I asked him for an estimate he said it "wouldnt be much, it is a small job". He did the drg in Corel draw taking data from my pdf file The material was dealwood costing about 250, and the CNC router rate was on an hourly basis, came to 2000! In the end I negotiated it down a bit, but told him that this was the last time I would be coming to him!

The saving grace was that the timber was so low the total cost did not come to too much. I did a pair of rosewood baffles some years ago which cost me more.
Bottom line? Ask for a cost estimate in advance.

Prasad

Talking about CNC routers, I got taken earlier this week.

I located someone to do some work for me, and when I asked him for an estimate he said it "wouldnt be much, it is a small job". He did the drg in Corel draw taking data from my pdf file The material was dealwood costing about 250, and the CNC router rate was on an hourly basis, came to 2000! In the end I negotiated it down a bit, but told him that this was the last time I would be coming to him!

The saving grace was that the timber was so low the total cost did not come to too much. I did a pair of rosewood baffles some years ago which cost me more.
Bottom line? Ask for a cost estimate in advance.

Wow! That's plain swindling.

I got a 2'x1' MDF job cut at the Hyderabad shop mentioned above.
It had just a few 2D cuts, and I could negotiate the rate down to Rs 400 for the CNC
cutting time. CAD drawing charge - Rs 200, but I need a few more of the same piece,
so this cost is negligible.
The work is "satisfactory".

Last edited:
Lovely Work!!! Lots of it...Did you get the feet also made in acrylic..not able to make out...The black looks really good...Did you get the lettering also done by the same vendor?? I probably need to consolidate all my requirements and make a trip to Kochi....

Back