Adding Amplifier with AV Onkyo receiver

Hi, Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

I have planned to listen some other speakers too, but as of now what I learned is, AVR cannot produce the sound quality of IA.
I guess, these AVR are normally good for 5.1 channel setup.

My thought is to buy single pair of speakers for both music/movies (for Front L/R channels) and include surrounds, center & sub later. For this front speakers alone, I can connect it through pre-out from AVR to IA using RCA cables and rest of the speakers will be connected with AVR for 5.1 setup. All source inputs(such as CD/BD/DVD, USB) are also will be connected in AVR itself.

so, is this is the right setup. ?

PowerAmp are too costlier than IA. I'm also interesed in Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 & Tannoy Mercury V7.4 speakers.

so, instead of creating two seperate setup, Can I go for this ?

Thanks,
Subbiya

The DAC inside the AVR dictates the sound quality... Even if you were to add a affordable power amplifier to your AVR Pre-outs, it is Onkyo AVR's DAC that will be used for stereo listening which you didn't like..

So there is no point adding power amplifier to your chain... Instead adding standalone DAC to your AVR will give you good benefits....

@elangoas, Yes, I have this in my mind, receiver is already suppose to deliver upto 160w power, so I thought some thing is missing here..that's DAC. I have an idea to go with CAMBRIDGE AUDIO DACMAGIC 100, but anyhow the sound quality of stereo receiver will not match with AVR, so I decided to go with another stereo setup for music at some what low cost.

How about Cambride Audio Topaz SR20. ? Any suggestions on this ?

I understood, DAC are the major component for sound quality.

Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 100 uses Wolfson WM8742 for 20k
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 which has Wolfson WM8728. I got a quote for SR20 receiver which is 34k.

Any suggestion on these DAC/Receiver. or please suggest me some other amplifier, I will audition them.

Marantz PM series are bit costlier but they use the top rated Cirus CS4398 DAC.

Thanks,
Subbiya

Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 which has Wolfson WM8728. I got a quote for SR20 receiver which is 34k.

Any suggestion on these DAC/Receiver. or please suggest me some other amplifier, I will audition them.

Thanks,
Subbiya

You are now planning a separate stereo setup? Have you chosen your speakers to pair with your Onkyo? If all you need is a DAC then why look for an amp with a DAC? You could get started with a stand alone DAC from SMSL or Schiit. Connect that to the Onkyo and get a taste of it.

Start simple, you can always add on slowly as you get settled with the system.

MaSh

@elangoas, Yes, I have this in my mind, receiver is already suppose to deliver upto 160w power, so I thought some thing is missing here..that's DAC. I have an idea to go with CAMBRIDGE AUDIO DACMAGIC 100, but anyhow the sound quality of stereo receiver will not match with AVR, so I decided to go with another stereo setup for music at some what low cost.

How about Cambride Audio Topaz SR20. ? Any suggestions on this ?

What is your source for music ? Do u have Audio CD's (or) digital files like FLAC/WAV/MP3 ?

Your choice of DAC will depend on your usage...

I have flac songs with me. I dont have a cd player, yet to buy. Where can I get these SMSL or Schiit dac ?

If you are planning to play the songs from Android mobile/PC/Laptop, you can look for USB DAC.. (Dragonfly, Meridian, hifimeDIY to name a few)..

Try to get the DAC from US, where it is really cheap..

Or try to scout for DAC in for sale by owner section of the forum...U might get very good deals...

Thanks,
Subbiya

Hmmm ...
This hunt is coming full circle!!

What is your current set of speakers or what speakers do you plan to buy?
This will dictate your amp. If the speakers are like mine (8 ohm nominal 3.2 ohm min) many amps may be overwhelmed at times.
Topaz series is a good starter's kit to buy. Nice all in one box. Be warned, the upgrade itch will hit soon though. Good thing is CA does seem to have good resale value.
Reach out to local FMs and try to borrow a DAC to pair with your AVR. It may be worth trying this route first as FM MaSh suggests.

BTW, the Onkyo AVR if it is the TX-NR828 is rated 160W at 6 ohm at 1Khz and 0.7% THD.
Totally unreal spec. Look for the 20-20Khz spec at 8 ohm in the manual. It will be lower.
Onkyo in the past used to have beefy power supplies. Do not know about recent trends.

Cheers,
Raghu

Speakers, I'm not able to decide, since no one is sounded good with the AVR. But I tried few speakers listening with IA, which is Tannoy Mercury v7.4 with Peech tree nova200 and XTZ 95.44 with AudioControl Rialto 400, XTZ 95.44 sounded good.
The reason why I went for IA, DAC seems to be 70% cost of stereo receiver also I dont have idea even If I buy DAC it will sound similar to stereo receiver.

The dealer where I listen to TM v7.4 he recommends to go with stereo receiver, where Topaz SR20 comes in. AudioControl & Topaz uses the same wolfson DAC, so I have CA DACMagic 100 also in my mind.

May be I have to check with local FM's first. Does any dealer in chennai have DAC for demo ?

A stereo receiver includes an FM section so extra cost. A built in DAC is an added cost but and advantage. If planning for an outboard DAC later, try some new or used analog only integrated amps.
Difference between Stereo receiver and IA is FM section. Settle on speakers first and then hunt for amp; that's what I would do if I had to start over.

The advice given on this thread may seem confusing and frustrating, but be patient and work out all the scenarios in your head and if possible in your listening space before taking the plunge.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,

I planned to go with schiit modi 2 UBER DAC initially. if it doesn't performs well with my receiver, I may buy stereo Amplifier with out dac. I don't know how will be the sound quality, previously while audition we have connected with CD player only, whether this dac will make any difference in sound quality. ?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back