Adding Power amp to Integrated amp

I dont think you would stand to gain much by adding an external power amp to the arcam. The sound signature will completely be dictated by the pre amp. Adding an external power amp will keep the same presentation, however will tidy up the bass with better control, incase the power amp in question has more power and higher damping factor than the arcam.

Having used a number of power amps, I tend to disagree with the highlighted portion. Power amps do impose their signature on the final sound just like any other component in the chain.

In todays digital world the dac's are already outputing a 2v signal, and some like the chords have an option of even 3v output. This is a huge signal gain at the source level. So the pre amps are not actually amplifying the signals these days, but are actually truncating it.

I would say the term truncating is not appropriate here. Truncate implies cutting off or chopping off, which leads to the signal being clipped, leading to distortion.

The potentiometer actually attenuates the signal without clipping and distorting.

Having used a number of power amps, I tend to disagree with the highlighted portion. Power amps do impose their signature on the final sound just like any other component in the chain.

As I stated earlier in the thread, power amp does add its flavor to the final sound signature.
In my chain (Marantz PM7001 + Outlaw M2200) it is noticeable; mostly in a beneficial way.
To my ears, bass + base guitar is definitely better on some recordings.
In some recordings/artists, "Marantz only" does do a wee bit better job of vocals.
I have tried Outlaws in other chains; in some cases they actually sounded bad.
Could have been the speakers, pre, room, etc; but the only difference was the power amp.
So logically, I will fault it first and then the others.
Listen, and strike the most acceptable compromise that caters to most of your listening preferences.

Cheers,
Raghu

I would say the term truncating is not appropriate here. Truncate implies cutting off or chopping off, which leads to the signal being clipped, leading to distortion.

The potentiometer actually attenuates the signal without clipping and distorting.

Yeah you are right jls. Thanks for the correction :)

Even i had a sense of unease using that word, as the word attenuation was not coming to mind. Thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back