Adding Power amp to Integrated amp

Since you are using the Pre out from the Int Amp, you have taken the power section of the Int amp out of the equation. Hence the only amp driving would be the power amp. Generically speaking, if the power amp is of the same calibre or better, you may experience an improvement in sound quality.

To make it still better, just in case your speaker supports bi wiring, would be to bi-amp the speaker by connecting the Int amps speaker terminals to the speaker Hi frequency and the power amps terminals to the low frequency terminals using the same length and type of speaker wire.

That way you should get an even bigger benefit.

lf power amp has more wattage,then more headroom you will get than integrated amp.lf power amp is well designed ,then it will not change original sound quality but improve overall soundstage.

Does adding power amp to an integrated amp which has a pre out make any difference to the sound quality? which amp remains dominant in sound signature? Need some help here.

I use a Marantz IA preout to Outlaw Audio Monoblocs.
The sound signature differs a little when I use the entire IA vs pre+pwr.
It is not completely different, but noticeable.
The headroom I get is about 5-6dB so I am happy. 70W vs 200W

Cheers,
Raghu

I have done this primarily , because my speakers are power hungry and in other words they sing better with more power.
If your speakers are not that power hungry then providing them more power will give you some extra headroom thats all..nothing much...so now it depends on how much bucks to spend to get that headroom....its better to take a amplifier on loan and check it...
Normally Biamping is done with similar type of amps...thats why I call my system is jugaad one..
If you dont want to Biamp...simply adding a good powerful amp will be better, then again...masaala would be expensive than chicken;)

I have done this primarily , because my speakers are power hungry and in other words they sing better with more power.
If your speakers are not that power hungry then providing them more power will give you some extra headroom thats all..nothing much..;)

Or you may add an active subwoofer

Definitely Powered subwoofer will improve the sound quality by sharing the load from main amplifier unit which in turn improve the headroom . At the same time it will solidify and add low end extension which speakers can't. It's matter of investigation for the same amount, which work best Subwoofer or Power amplifier.. i.e Emotiva A-300 and BIC Acoustics P200 II cost almost same

Sub might do it but placement and integration can be a nightmare.

Does sound quality improvement only means improvement in Bass?...then one don't have to buy 10kUSD speakers and buy 200 USD speakers and add a subwoofer to it that's it. In my case Bass was sufficient and dominant than mids and highs. With biamping everything thing improved and bass was less, mids,highs, dynamics, soundstage dramatically improved. I can't bypass low frequency section of my speakers, which also caters to the midrange. Hence subwoofer is not at all a solution.

Does adding power amp to an integrated amp which has a pre out make any difference to the sound quality? which amp remains dominant in sound signature? Need some help here.

Which integrated amp do you currently have and which Poweramp are you planning to add to it?

Every component has an effect on the sound, even the cable connecting the amps. So it's really a trial and error kinda thing. What a power amp will however do, is give your integrated more breathing room, with neither of the components starving for current. Each device with its own power supply will make a difference, now what difference that makes to the sound quality is something you will have to experience yourself. Auditioning if possible is the key in this hobby.

MaSh

Best is carry integrated amp and demo Poweramp which you plan to buy connected via preout.Check if you like sound or not.

The Preamp Section Dominates the signature , Mostly the integrated effect will be prominent. Other aspects like bass, dynamics, resolution will improve depending upon the relative quality and power output differences between two amps. Overall you tend to gain even if you use the same series power amp.
The difference may not be very significant when Compared with adding a Power amp to drive front channels in AVRs in multichannel setup.

BTW , by using a power amp with integrated, you are essentially under-utilizing your integrated amp (unless you biamp your speakers); instead buying a dedicated preamp and matched power amp may be a better option IMHO. It is quite unusual to go back to IA after getting used to separates. Well, then you enter into an inevitable realm of changing interconnects, in a Pre-Power setup. If you want to keep it simple, upgrade to a better and more powerful integrated amp.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back