Adding Power amp to Integrated amp

IMO... Look at a better source

It's possible the same speaker might surprise you

Rgds

I dont think you would stand to gain much by adding an external power amp to the arcam. The sound signature will completely be dictated by the pre amp. Adding an external power amp will keep the same presentation, however will tidy up the bass with better control, incase the power amp in question has more power and higher damping factor than the arcam. You will have a slightly higher headroom available, which not really be noticeable. The MA bronzes are not exactly power hungry, so i dont think you would stand to gain much by spending money on a power amp.

However my ramblings are only from a technical stand point, and should matter for zero, if you can actually borrow a power amp and try it out.

However if the bronzes have twin binding posts, then bi amping them will give you better bass control and greater headroom. However, as the gain of the power amp and amp section of the arcam will be different, getting the volume right will be a royal pain. If you are inclined that way, then you will need an external active crossover with gain and phase inversion settings. However, as already mentioned, till will be more spent on the masala, than the murgi.

I am not sure how much power I would be gaining by adding power amp. My Arcam integrated amp is 50 watt and NAD power amp which I am planning to add up is also 50 watt. The reason for adding power amp is boost base and get warm sound. Trust I am not wrong if I assume power amp helps in increasing the bass. I am not happy with the Aram 19 and MA bronze 2 combination. They sound too bright to my liking and can't listen them for long hours. I haven't used them for more than 15 hours, i guess. Actually I am planning to replace MA bronze by some good Floorstanders. But i came across this good deal of power amp at throwaway price that's why Iam having this second thought. The speakers have binding posts for biwiring but I haven't tried them. I will surely go for FS speakers but before that i want to make which is culprit for sounding too bright. Is it amp or speakers? I did little bit of research and came to conclusion that MA speakers generally sound bright. correct me if I am wrong. I purchased the whole rig last year without auditioning them...I think that was the mistake.
My sources are mostly streaming from my Iphone X using rblink dac and Rega Planar TT. I do play CDs sometimes using Sony BDP. But on daily basis i stream Spotify or wynk from my Iphone X.

I am not sure how much power I would be gaining by adding power amp. My Arcam integrated amp is 50 watt and NAD power amp which I am planning to add up is also 50 watt. The reason for adding power amp is boost base and get warm sound. Trust I am not wrong if I assume power amp helps in increasing the bass. I am not happy with the Aram 19 and MA bronze 2 combination. They sound too bright to my liking and can't listen them for long hours. I haven't used them for more than 15 hours, i guess. Actually I am planning to replace MA bronze by some good Floorstanders. But i came across this good deal of power amp at throwaway price that's why Iam having this second thought. The speakers have binding posts for biwiring but I haven't tried them. I will surely go for FS speakers but before that i want to make which is culprit for sounding too bright. Is it amp or speakers? I did little bit of research and came to conclusion that MA speakers generally sound bright. correct me if I am wrong. I purchased the whole rig last year without auditioning them...I think that was the mistake.
In your case best way to add subwoofer, if you want more Bass. NAD Amp will solve your brightness issue...still if you want more Bass then...try sub.

captainrinzal

The DAC you have - please try with a better DAC and better cables..

try a different source before you decide on changing speakers..or adding a subwoofer..

it is surprising how much a good source contributes to good sound..

regards

captainrinzal

try a different source before you decide on changing speakers..or adding a subwoofer..

regards
+1

Brightness is mostly upper frequency characteristics. Adding a power amp will improve most things but not tame the brightness. DAC can be bright or warm depending on how its implemented. I have a NOS3 DAC that has some treble roll off and it's no good with my 1.7's. But on the other hand it's perfect for the MC1's driven by an old Arcam P90 power amp. SO i would look at changing the DAC also. Room reflections can also contribute with bare walls and glass. some high frequenciy absorbers placed in the first reflection can tame these, so different approaches to tackle the same problem.

My sources are mostly streaming from my Iphone X using rblink dac and Rega Planar TT. I do play CDs sometimes using Sony BDP. But on daily basis i stream Spotify or wynk from my Iphone X.

Hi captainrizal...

The arcams dont have a reputation of being bright. So it could be the bronzes.

I also suspect that there is something wrong somewhere. As the monitor audios dont go into brightness unless there is something contributing to it down the chain. Either the room is too bright and reflective, or the speaker cables or the source+dac combination. Easiest way to find out, will be to borrow an amp or a speaker and try it in your chain. And if by chance, you have your speakers toed in, having them straight without toe-in will reduce the brightness. All the best

captainrinzal

regards
i have tried with different source and without DAC as well. As you can see in my signature, my Rega TT ia connected through phono to Amp. No DAC is used. The sound still continues to be bright. In fact when i listen to TT, I find almost no lows, only highs and mids.

Hi captainrizal...

I also suspect that there is something wrong somewhere. As the monitor audios dont go into brightness unless there is something contributing to it down the chain. Either the room is too bright and reflective, or the speaker cables or the source+dac combination. Easiest way to find out, will be to borrow an amp or a speaker and try it in your chain. And if by chance, you have your speakers toed in, having them straight without toe-in will reduce the brightness. All the best
Yeah that's what I feel. Arcams are not known to be bright amps. I tried Amp with my Q Acoustic speakers from my HT setup. They are sound much better. Therefore i think MA speakers could be the culprit. I checked MA speakers feedback from the owners in net and most of agreed it to be bright.

newlash09 has raised some very important points. Can you post a pic of your setup ?

It may not be a component but a room issue. Reflections off Glass ( windows/shutters) especially behind and on the sides as well as reflections off tiles can add to brightness. Toeing in so that the tweeters are shooting in your ears also can do that.

More importantly, how many hours would your setup have run and how much has your amp warmed up before you are evaluating ? all of these also affect the sound

I have known folks living very happily with MA bronzes...so would be a better idea to first play around the room setup before going into components.

Additionally, its better to use regular ICs/cables/powercables while setup...especially power cables. use the ones which came with your components while setting up and you will not go wrong. Audiophile cables can act as tone controls while it enhances and is the last area to play around with

Do things get better when you use the Pure Direct /Source Direct on your Arcam?

I have used MAs in the past. They are known to be slightly bright. Some attribute it to the metallic tweeter but I am not sure. Adding a power amp to my Marants SR series AVR had helped immensely but that was more to do with the weak sound of the Marantz. It only beefed up the sound but didn't do anything to the brightness though.

A good Poweramp will carry preamp signature but with extra scale,instruments will sound bigger.All power amps do not sound same.l have used Rotel RMB985 and marantz mm7055 in past and when compared side by side with same pre,Rotel sounded weighty in mids and marantz was little lean.Again preamp output voltage also need to consider.Rotel needed 1vrms and marantz 1.2vrms.

if brightness is your problem ...u need something which will boost existing bass ....so its either a subwoofer or equaliser ....
Floorstanders and /or Poweramp all have their own characteristics (warm , bright) ....that will not solve ur problem ....Cables , positioning are all tweaks which only help to a certain extent ....ultimately its subwoofer or equaliser

Agreed, Arcam is not bright. The culprit is elsewhere.

Hi captainrizal...

Monitor audio speakers are always on brighter side of warmth.Marantz amps are usually recommended for them.Secondly interconnects,speaker cables has to matched to overcome it.

Back