Advice for 2.1 stereo system

Places to audition in Kolkata..
Dali zensor - sks traders, Auditro hifi
Polk and kef - profx
B&w - sollfege
Wharfedale - watteffects

Please call them prior to check demo availability

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Recently I have came across a decent stereo set in What Hi-fi show 2017 in Mumbai. Stereo system contain Roksan amplifier and Jamo D590 speakers. Well controlled, tight and agile bass with airy vocals and clean, clear and detailed high frequencies. Just check it out whether within your budget or not.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Also almost always take your own music for auditions, Cds flacs etc if feasible. Have a uniform source for comparison between different systems, listen to the music you have been listening all these years instead of what new they're playing, your previous familiarity with the music is quite useful while auditioning.

Also go with open mind (leave the preconceived notions like, this should be warm, bright etc) especially on the cost factors (cheaper may not be better etc) and don't take negative criticism of other brands by sales person seriously. Make a list and share your experience with the FMs here so you'll make a proper informed decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
Glad you have all kinds of suggestions. But one thing I must add is do not rule out Chinese products after all Marantz, NAD etc are made on China. So an established China brand will be just fine. An amp from a company like Xindak would be as good as Marantz or NAD, and worth adding to your reading and review list.

About the Atoll suggestion. I doubt if there is any dealer in Patna, but you could contact the distributor. Sometimes these guys will send it to your home if you pay for shipping, although this is usually only done with known customers and a higher price point.

So also there is nothing stupidly wrong with buying on the basis of reviews and ears of experienced audiophiles. Fact is that even listening to kit is an acquired practice, and a more experienced bloke will figure out the worth of a product better than someone starting. I still remember my first serious amp, the famous Cyrus One. It was very detailed and catchy but over the long term turned to be too aggressive sounding. The dealer had suggested a Marantz PM 80 which was a bit more expensive and the NAD 3020 which was a bit less. But preferred the Cyrus on audition, and also of course the hype of an audiophile brand!

Anyhow enjoy the trip.

Places to audition in Kolkata..
Dali zensor - sks traders, Auditro hifi
Polk and kef - profx
B&w - sollfege
Wharfedale - watteffects

Please call them prior to check demo availability

Thank you, much appriciated. Please suggest some dealers for NAD/Marantz/ Yamaha stereo amp audition, if possible with above mentioned speakers.

While auditioning don't forget to check what source( amp, CD player) they are using to demo the speakers.

Good point, will do. Thanks.

Recently I have came across a decent stereo set in What Hi-fi show 2017 in Mumbai. Stereo system contain Roksan amplifier and Jamo D590 speakers. Well controlled, tight and agile bass with airy vocals and clean, clear and detailed high frequencies. Just check it out whether within your budget or not.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

What was approx price of the combo ? Did the system has adequate bass and mids ?
Thanks.

Also almost always take your own music for auditions, Cds flacs etc if feasible. Have a uniform source for comparison between different systems, listen to the music you have been listening all these years instead of what new they're playing, your previous familiarity with the music is quite useful while auditioning.

Also go with open mind (leave the preconceived notions like, this should be warm, bright etc) especially on the cost factors (cheaper may not be better etc) and don't take negative criticism of other brands by sales person seriously. Make a list and share your experience with the FMs here so you'll make a proper informed decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will carry my own Flac and CD, as suggested by all FM including you. I understand that point @ sales person might praise brands or specific product which they have in stock.
Will makes a list of all i will audition and make a list of all pros and cons i would feel and share here for further advise. Thanks for all these valuable tips.

Hi,
Glad you have all kinds of suggestions. But one thing I must add is do not rule out Chinese products after all Marantz, NAD etc are made on China. So an established China brand will be just fine. An amp from a company like Xindak would be as good as Marantz or NAD, and worth adding to your reading and review list.

About the Atoll suggestion. I doubt if there is any dealer in Patna, but you could contact the distributor. Sometimes these guys will send it to your home if you pay for shipping, although this is usually only done with known customers and a higher price point.

So also there is nothing stupidly wrong with buying on the basis of reviews and ears of experienced audiophiles. Fact is that even listening to kit is an acquired practice, and a more experienced bloke will figure out the worth of a product better than someone starting. I still remember my first serious amp, the famous Cyrus One. It was very detailed and catchy but over the long term turned to be too aggressive sounding. The dealer had suggested a Marantz PM 80 which was a bit more expensive and the NAD 3020 which was a bit less. But preferred the Cyrus on audition, and also of course the hype of an audiophile brand!

Anyhow enjoy the trip.

Will contact the Atoll distributor about its dealership in Kolkata (if any), visitied their web page all of the dealers listed there were limited to southern region.

Being a novice thats my biggest concern i.e everyone says amps and speakers SQ opens up/ settles/improves after 50-100hrs of run in + all the technical intricacies involved in it. So the set up will sound bit different than what i'll hear during audition. Will it be more to my liking or opposite, thats my concern :sad:
Don't know any experienced person/ audiophile whom i can tag along for auditions. So it seems even after auditions its gonna be a bit of gamble for me.

I live in a place where there is only Yamaha Dealer/ Service Centre. Metro cities are atleast 700/1000kms away. So trying to stick to popular/ well known brands for ease of after sale service if and when required.

FMs please pour in all your suggestion/advises. Thanks.

Intend to have mid-range and above AVR.

Ok.. These AVR might cost you atleast 70k + INR..

Do NAD 326/526 & Marantz Pm 6006/7005 have "main-in" inputs?

Don't think Marantz Pm 6006/7005 have that.. But NAD C326/356 have it..

Still a bit skeptical about it cz of lack of warranty and service support. At this stage i am not in a position to gamble.

Don't intend to use chinese stuff, may be once i have all the setups, and have spare fund after all that, will try to experiment with these chinese product. :p

I have used both NAD C326 and SMSL Q5 Pro for a good time and for almost all stereo content..

Think the NAD C326 should cost you approx 45K and a standalone DAC of say 20 - 25K.. So approx 65 ~ 70K..

What the NAD does, the SMSL / FX Audio does it better (Efficient power - DDX), takes less space (Size of STB), costs a fraction of price of the established brands, sounds equally good - if not better, and more importantly they have all the digital inputs, which the NAD doesn't..

Chinese amps will cost you 10K all inclusive.. What you might save with amplifier, you can invest on speakers..

Take your pick :)

Ok.. These AVR might cost you atleast 70k + INR..

Thats the minimum amount i have in mind for AVR, but thats atleast a year away.

Don't think Marantz Pm 6006/7005 have that.. But NAD C326/356 have it..

Will ask and verify from dealer during audition.

I have used both NAD C326 and SMSL Q5 Pro for a good time and for almost all stereo content..

Think the NAD C326 should cost you approx 45K and a standalone DAC of say 20 - 25K.. So approx 65 ~ 70K..

What the NAD does, the SMSL / FX Audio does it better (Efficient power - DDX), takes less space (Size of STB), costs a fraction of price of the established brands, sounds equally good - if not better, and more importantly they have all the digital inputs, which the NAD doesn't..

Chinese amps will cost you 10K all inclusive.. What you might save with amplifier, you can invest on speakers..

Take your pick :)

With SMSL/others like it, i am concerned about after sale support/warrant, else i would have given it a try.

I intend to keep whatever i choose for atleast 5yrs, and save for AVR. Keeping this in mind is it wise to go with SMSL or NAD etc?

Will ask and verify from dealer during audition.

You can alternately check google images of the product to get an understanding of the inputs/outputs..

With SMSL/others like it, i am concerned about after sale support/warrant, else i would have given it a try.

I intend to keep whatever i choose for at-least 5yrs, and save for AVR. Keeping this in mind is it wise to go with SMSL or NAD etc?

Your take.. If you think you would save substantially, and like to keep the amplifier cost to bare minimal, then consider these digital amps..

Since the size of the amplifier is really small, you have the flexibility of moving this to other room too..

You can alternately check google images of the product to get an understanding of the inputs/outputs..

Okay

Your take.. If you think you would save substantially, and like to keep the amplifier cost to bare minimal, then consider these digital amps..

For now have decided to stick with well known brands, will experiment with SMSL later on.

Since the size of the amplifier is really small, you have the flexibility of moving this to other room too..

Moving 18x16x4 inch sized amp isn't tough either.
But thanks for making me aware of more options. its of great help to me.

Last edited:
Members, I have been reading various threads to get more insight into the matter at hand. Came up with few queries. Please advise :-

1)Read about getting equipment in India itself at US/UK rates, obviously without warranty :-

a) What are pros and cons if i go this route?
b) What % of approx saving will i have as compared to buying from
authorised dealer with warranty?
c) Are there any dealers in Kolkata who deals in products at UK/US prices? If yes, then please provide their details.

2) Visited NAD website. They have launched new series Stereo Amps i.e C338, c368, c388 (all Class D).

a) Anybody listened/auditioned these new series amp? If yes, how do they fare against previous series i.e c326/ c356?

b) in general terms, which among the two i.e AB class Amp vs D class will sound better?.

c) what are the pros and cons of both classes AB vs D, in layman terms.

Thanks in advance, eagerly looking forward to your advise :)

Last edited:
Which systems did you audition recently?

MaSh

Haven't auditioned any yet. Will have to visit Kolkata which is nearest still 500kms away. Will visit in 2nd-3rd week of april. Trying to gather all info and knowledge beforehand as i would have to audition and buy in single visit in 1-2 days.

Shortlisted Marantz/NAD stereo amps + all the suggested speakers with them for audition.

At least in Kolkata they don't have all stocks ready at hand. You may have to order and then come again for delivery

Members, I have been reading various threads to get more insight into the matter at hand. Came up with few queries. Please advise :-

1)Read about getting equipment in India itself at US/UK rates, obviously without warranty :-

a) What are pros and cons if i go this route?
b) What % of approx saving will i have as compared to buying from
authorised dealer with warranty?
c) Are there any dealers in Kolkata who deals in products at UK/US prices? If yes, then please provide their details.

2) Visited NAD website. They have launched new series Stereo Amps i.e C338, c368, c388 (all Class D).

a) Anybody listened/auditioned these new series amp? If yes, how do they fare against previous series i.e c326/ c356?

b) in general terms, which among the two i.e AB class Amp vs D class will sound better?.

c) what are the pros and cons of both classes AB vs D, in layman terms.

Thanks in advance, eagerly looking forward to your advise :)

No Need to wait for answers: because most of it has already been discussed in the forum many times - Just search forum or Google it.

1. No dealer will offer US/UK Prices because they will have to pay more taxes here. Warranty is of course an issue But, I guess You may not be having many service centers at your place as well , So Better buying Yamaha for you, as you have dealer nearby ( if you are worried about warranty and service).
Cost savings you can check out by Talking to Local dealers and comparing with shipped price from US UK, if buying from US, Indian Voltage compatibility is a issue, UK no such issues mostly. Savings in initial Cost(getting from US/UK) vs Local warranty - you need to decide by yourself.

2. I have very less experience with Class D amps so can't comment. Class AB will be superior on paper from technical perspective, but how much it translates to audible difference depends upon many factors like how transparent your whole system is ? Or how resolving your speakers are etc.. Reputed Company like NAD has less chances of doing blunders by pushing Class D amps against Class AB; so I'm guessing the difference may not be audible (again its a guess).
You can google about Technical differences.

Read various other threads on the forum, queries from people with similar requirements and who finally bought etc, PM the FMs who have recently purchased - Visit them if possible and decide.
Listen and Decide - You might have to make multiple trips to Kolkota
Keep us Posted

Best of Luck

At least in Kolkata they don't have all stocks ready at hand. You may have to order and then come again for delivery

Do they atleast have demo pieces for audition ? if yes then there are many options for purchase i.e online selleres etc, cz main issue is to audition and find out which combo i like and can afford. :p

No Need to wait for answers: because most of it has already been discussed in the forum many times - Just search forum or Google it.

I am spending atleast an hour every day to go through various threads about everything.
But still need help of members from kolkata about dealers who would help me choose what i need instead of pushing stuff that they have.

1. No dealer will offer US/UK Prices because they will have to pay more taxes here. Warranty is of course an issue But, I guess You may not be having many service centers at your place as well , So Better buying Yamaha for you, as you have dealer nearby ( if you are worried about warranty and service).

I understand that taxes and duties drive prices higher here and no dealer can offer prices of Uk. my query was about "grey market" and related details.

Cost savings you can check out by Talking to Local dealers and comparing with shipped price from US UK, if buying from US, Indian Voltage compatibility is a issue, UK no such issues mostly. Savings in initial Cost(getting from US/UK) vs Local warranty - you need to decide by yourself.

Voltage compatibility is an issue with US products, though few brands have products with dual voltage option, no such issue if importing from UK.
But no warranty if going import route so dropped it.

2. I have very less experience with Class D amps so can't comment. Class AB will be superior on paper from technical perspective, but how much it translates to audible difference depends upon many factors like how transparent your whole system is ? Or how resolving your speakers are etc.. Reputed Company like NAD has less chances of doing blunders by pushing Class D amps against Class AB; so I'm guessing the difference may not be audible (again its a guess).
You can google about Technical differences.

NAD new series has not been launched in India yet (found none on any online sellers website). No idea about how they will price it here, so for now its Class AB only.

Read various other threads on the forum, queries from people with similar requirements and who finally bought etc, PM the FMs who have recently purchased - Visit them if possible and decide.
Listen and Decide - You might have to make multiple trips to Kolkota
Keep us Posted

Mining as many threads I can everyday. Will start sending PM to FMs hope they won't mind.
Managing time for multiple visits is a major issue for me due to many obligations, but will try my best :sad:

Best of Luck

Thanks a lot, hope you all FMs wil keep guiding me.
:signthankspin:

Some demo pieces are there, not all models. Please call them and confirm before coming. Sometimes they will say ok but when you come they will say that we don't have that for demo, we have this. So categorically ask if what exactly they have for demo.

For some products online purchase may make sense, like through hifimart, if they ship to your location. Otherwise mostly prices are higher online or they sell grey market products. If grey market is not okay with you then please check before buying

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back